Re:arduino

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2011
      Bruce,

      I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?

      73,
      Jack -- W0FNQ

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@...> wrote:

      > Jack W0fnq
      >
      > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
      > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
      > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
      > thoughts?
      >
      > 73 de Bruce
      > KJ6CSI

    • Bruce Jackson
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2011
        Jack,
        My projects with arduino and ham radio have been very modest at best
        I made and have modified a keyer from a QEX article about 18 months ago and setup an endless loop CW beacon send out my handle at 5 wpm on about 100 mw so I could moniter my signal from a few miles away using a LO xtal
        in a Softrock II Rx.
        Both the softrock and arduino boards have fairly predictable and easy to get at voltages. Perhaps when I actually sit down with the 30 page Si570 description some inspiration might come, but I still have many simpler
        things to try with the ensemble Rx and the RxTx models and making good with a  newer soundcard and less demanding software program will be coming first.
        There is a ham-arduino site here on Yahoo that has yet to take off. I have seen no postings on it for many months
        A couple of folks in our Torrance, CA HRC have arduino and PickAx interests and a presentation is pending sometime in the next few months.
        I will post any insights given from these folks as well
        Stay in touch and I will post this on the reflector and see again if others have any thoughts or experience

        73,
        Bruce de KJ6CSI

        I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?

        73,
        Jack -- W0FNQ

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@...> wrote:

        > Jack W0fnq
        >
        > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
        > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
        > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
        > thoughts?
        >
        > 73 de Bruce
        > KJ6CSI

      • wb6yte
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2011
          Hi,

          It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.

          It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.

          Ed
          WB6YTE

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@...> wrote:

          > Bruce,
          >
          > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
          >
          > 73,
          > Jack -- W0FNQ
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Jack W0fnq
          > >
          > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
          > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
          > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
          > > thoughts?
          > >
          > > 73 de Bruce
          > > KJ6CSI

        • alan_r_cam
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2011
            According to the Arduino Duemilanove web page, the 3.3V limit is 50mA: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove

            According to the Si570 data sheet (page 5), it needs up 130mA depending on the version: http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/si570.pdf

            If you insist on Arduino, you either need a second 3.3V supply, OR look at the Si514. It has a lower max freq and a smaller tuning scale, but it only needs 42mA (27mA for CMOS version).

            Oh and don't forget the level translation hardware- the silicon labs chips aren't 5V tolerant.
            See: http://ics.nxp.com/support/documents/interface/pdf/an97055.pdf
            and: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pca9306.html

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
            >
            > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
            >
            > Ed
            > WB6YTE
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Bruce,
            > >
            > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
            > >
            > > 73,
            > > Jack -- W0FNQ
            > >
            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Jack W0fnq
            > > >
            > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
            > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
            > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
            > > > thoughts?
            > > >
            > > > 73 de Bruce
            > > > KJ6CSI

          • Philip
            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2011
              Ed

              I'm an Arduino fan as well...
              Interested in your battery/solar charger setup as I have
              a leisure battery and solar panel ready to install in my shed
              for running a 24/7 QRSS beacon...

              Any chance of any information as to how you used the Arduino in that project?

              Regards
              Philip

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
              >
              > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
              >
              > Ed
              > WB6YTE
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Bruce,
              > >
              > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Jack -- W0FNQ
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Jack W0fnq
              > > >
              > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
              > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
              > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
              > > > thoughts?
              > > >
              > > > 73 de Bruce
              > > > KJ6CSI

            • Bob - K2KI
              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2011
                Hi,

                I too am interested in the charging setup and code. Plus any other useful amateur Radio applications.

                Thanks es 73...
                Bob de k2ki

                On 5/5/2011 3:02 AM, Philip wrote:

                Ed

                I'm an Arduino fan as well...
                Interested in your battery/solar charger setup as I have
                a leisure battery and solar panel ready to install in my shed
                for running a 24/7 QRSS beacon...

                Any chance of any information as to how you used the Arduino in that project?

                Regards
                Philip

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
                >
                > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
                >
                > Ed
                > WB6YTE
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bruce,
                > >
                > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Jack -- W0FNQ
                > >
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Jack W0fnq
                > > >
                > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
                > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
                > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
                > > > thoughts?
                > > >
                > > > 73 de Bruce
                > > > KJ6CSI

              • pe0fko
                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2011
                  Using the TWI interface of the atmega chips you don't need the level translation chip. It is a open collector output that can be pulled-up with two external resistors to the 3.3V of the si570. Be careful not to set the I/O lines to output a 1 some where in the code, init the TWI at startup.

                  73, Fred
                  PE0FKO

                  2011/5/5 alan_r_cam <alan_r_cam@...>

                  According to the Arduino Duemilanove web page, the 3.3V limit is 50mA: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove

                  According to the Si570 data sheet (page 5), it needs up 130mA depending on the version: http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/si570.pdf

                  If you insist on Arduino, you either need a second 3.3V supply, OR look at the Si514. It has a lower max freq and a smaller tuning scale, but it only needs 42mA (27mA for CMOS version).

                  Oh and don't forget the level translation hardware- the silicon labs chips aren't 5V tolerant.
                  See: http://ics.nxp.com/support/documents/interface/pdf/an97055.pdf
                  and: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pca9306.html

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
                  >
                  > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
                  >
                  > Ed
                  > WB6YTE
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bruce,
                  > >
                  > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
                  > >
                  > > 73,
                  > > Jack -- W0FNQ
                  > >
                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Jack W0fnq
                  > > >
                  > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
                  > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
                  > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
                  > > > thoughts?
                  > > >
                  > > > 73 de Bruce
                  > > > KJ6CSI

                • Box SixteenHundred
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2011
                    Hey Folks,

                    Another Arduino fan here.

                    I have forums available on my web site that can be used for Radio / Arduino stuff
                    if there is interest.

                    Bill  KA8VIT

                    > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: pcteee@...
                    > Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 07:02:57 +0000
                    > Subject: [softrock40] Re:arduino
                    >
                    > Ed
                    >
                    > I'm an Arduino fan as well...

                  • Ronald Wagner
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2011

                      Bill, what’s the address of your web site?

                      I have forums available on my web site that can be used for Radio / Arduino stuff
                      if there is interest.

                      Bill  KA8VIT

                      > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: pcteee@...
                      > Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 07:02:57 +0000
                      > Subject: [softrock40] Re:arduino
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >
                      > I'm an Arduino fan as well...

                    • Peter Johnson
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2011
                        Hi Ronald.

                        Google or QRZ found it for me.

                        But here it is:- http://ka8vit.com

                        Regards Peter F1VKK

                        On 06/05/11 06:39, Ronald Wagner wrote:

                        Bill, what’s the address of your web site?

                        I have forums available on my web site that can be used for Radio / Arduino stuff
                        if there is interest.

                        Bill  KA8VIT

                        > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: pcteee@...