Re:arduino

  • Bruce Jackson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 5:30 PM
      Jack W0fnq

      You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other thoughts?

      73 de Bruce
      KJ6CSI
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 8:37 PM
        Bruce,

        I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?

        73,
        Jack -- W0FNQ

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@...> wrote:

        > Jack W0fnq
        >
        > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
        > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
        > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
        > thoughts?
        >
        > 73 de Bruce
        > KJ6CSI

      • Bruce Jackson
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 6:15 PM
          Jack,
          My projects with arduino and ham radio have been very modest at best
          I made and have modified a keyer from a QEX article about 18 months ago and setup an endless loop CW beacon send out my handle at 5 wpm on about 100 mw so I could moniter my signal from a few miles away using a LO xtal
          in a Softrock II Rx.
          Both the softrock and arduino boards have fairly predictable and easy to get at voltages. Perhaps when I actually sit down with the 30 page Si570 description some inspiration might come, but I still have many simpler
          things to try with the ensemble Rx and the RxTx models and making good with a  newer soundcard and less demanding software program will be coming first.
          There is a ham-arduino site here on Yahoo that has yet to take off. I have seen no postings on it for many months
          A couple of folks in our Torrance, CA HRC have arduino and PickAx interests and a presentation is pending sometime in the next few months.
          I will post any insights given from these folks as well
          Stay in touch and I will post this on the reflector and see again if others have any thoughts or experience

          73,
          Bruce de KJ6CSI

          I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?

          73,
          Jack -- W0FNQ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@...> wrote:

          > Jack W0fnq
          >
          > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
          > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
          > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
          > thoughts?
          >
          > 73 de Bruce
          > KJ6CSI

        • wb6yte
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4 10:20 PM
            Hi,

            It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.

            It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.

            Ed
            WB6YTE

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@...> wrote:

            > Bruce,
            >
            > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
            >
            > 73,
            > Jack -- W0FNQ
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jack W0fnq
            > >
            > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
            > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
            > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
            > > thoughts?
            > >
            > > 73 de Bruce
            > > KJ6CSI

          • alan_r_cam
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4 10:52 PM
              According to the Arduino Duemilanove web page, the 3.3V limit is 50mA: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove

              According to the Si570 data sheet (page 5), it needs up 130mA depending on the version: http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/si570.pdf

              If you insist on Arduino, you either need a second 3.3V supply, OR look at the Si514. It has a lower max freq and a smaller tuning scale, but it only needs 42mA (27mA for CMOS version).

              Oh and don't forget the level translation hardware- the silicon labs chips aren't 5V tolerant.
              See: http://ics.nxp.com/support/documents/interface/pdf/an97055.pdf
              and: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pca9306.html

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
              >
              > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
              >
              > Ed
              > WB6YTE
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Bruce,
              > >
              > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Jack -- W0FNQ
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Jack W0fnq
              > > >
              > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
              > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
              > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
              > > > thoughts?
              > > >
              > > > 73 de Bruce
              > > > KJ6CSI

            • Philip
              Message 6 of 12 , May 5 12:02 AM
                Ed

                I'm an Arduino fan as well...
                Interested in your battery/solar charger setup as I have
                a leisure battery and solar panel ready to install in my shed
                for running a 24/7 QRSS beacon...

                Any chance of any information as to how you used the Arduino in that project?

                Regards
                Philip

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
                >
                > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
                >
                > Ed
                > WB6YTE
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bruce,
                > >
                > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Jack -- W0FNQ
                > >
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Jack W0fnq
                > > >
                > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
                > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
                > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
                > > > thoughts?
                > > >
                > > > 73 de Bruce
                > > > KJ6CSI

              • Bob - K2KI
                Message 7 of 12 , May 5 1:33 AM
                  Hi,

                  I too am interested in the charging setup and code. Plus any other useful amateur Radio applications.

                  Thanks es 73...
                  Bob de k2ki

                  On 5/5/2011 3:02 AM, Philip wrote:

                  Ed

                  I'm an Arduino fan as well...
                  Interested in your battery/solar charger setup as I have
                  a leisure battery and solar panel ready to install in my shed
                  for running a 24/7 QRSS beacon...

                  Any chance of any information as to how you used the Arduino in that project?

                  Regards
                  Philip

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
                  >
                  > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
                  >
                  > Ed
                  > WB6YTE
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bruce,
                  > >
                  > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
                  > >
                  > > 73,
                  > > Jack -- W0FNQ
                  > >
                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Jack W0fnq
                  > > >
                  > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
                  > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
                  > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
                  > > > thoughts?
                  > > >
                  > > > 73 de Bruce
                  > > > KJ6CSI

                • pe0fko
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5 2:53 AM
                    Using the TWI interface of the atmega chips you don't need the level translation chip. It is a open collector output that can be pulled-up with two external resistors to the 3.3V of the si570. Be careful not to set the I/O lines to output a 1 some where in the code, init the TWI at startup.

                    73, Fred
                    PE0FKO

                    2011/5/5 alan_r_cam <alan_r_cam@...>

                    According to the Arduino Duemilanove web page, the 3.3V limit is 50mA: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove

                    According to the Si570 data sheet (page 5), it needs up 130mA depending on the version: http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/si570.pdf

                    If you insist on Arduino, you either need a second 3.3V supply, OR look at the Si514. It has a lower max freq and a smaller tuning scale, but it only needs 42mA (27mA for CMOS version).

                    Oh and don't forget the level translation hardware- the silicon labs chips aren't 5V tolerant.
                    See: http://ics.nxp.com/support/documents/interface/pdf/an97055.pdf
                    and: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pca9306.html

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb6yte" <ehekman@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > It is nice to see some discussion of the Arduino platform here. It caught my attention a few months ago as an excellent low-cost platform for many ham radio projects. My first project has been a battery charge controller with solar charging and AC power for backup. Other ideas include a wide range power/SWR meter. The addition of an Si570 could make that an automated antenna analyzer.
                    >
                    > It seems the MoBo could have been substantially simplified if an Arduino board had been used.
                    >
                    > Ed
                    > WB6YTE
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <9artus@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bruce,
                    > >
                    > > I didn't hear from others, unfortunately. I was able to get my DDS60 to work but have not been able to get the SI570 to work under Arduino control. In the meantime, I have been playing with the SI4735 receiver chip. I wanted to see if I could port the example code on SI's website to the Arduino. So far, the code is compiling but no communications yet. I haven't put a scope on the chip to see what, if anything is happening -- maybe tommorow. The example code uses Special Function Registers for the c8051f31 uP. I am trying to figure out how this might relate to the Arduino. I have seen uTube posts using an Arduino with this receiver chip, so I know its possible. I am curious what projects you have tried?
                    > >
                    > > 73,
                    > > Jack -- W0FNQ
                    > >
                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Jackson <brucethefierce@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Jack W0fnq
                    > > >
                    > > > You posting re using arduino to interface with various SDR plaforms and devices
                    > > > caught my attention. Has it caught any other glances?  I am a novice to SDR and
                    > > > arduino but love to play with both and I liked your thoughts. Any other
                    > > > thoughts?
                    > > >
                    > > > 73 de Bruce
                    > > > KJ6CSI

                  • Box SixteenHundred
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5 4:28 AM
                      Hey Folks,

                      Another Arduino fan here.

                      I have forums available on my web site that can be used for Radio / Arduino stuff
                      if there is interest.

                      Bill  KA8VIT

                      > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: pcteee@...
                      > Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 07:02:57 +0000
                      > Subject: [softrock40] Re:arduino
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >
                      > I'm an Arduino fan as well...

                    • Ronald Wagner
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5 9:39 PM

                        Bill, what’s the address of your web site?

                        I have forums available on my web site that can be used for Radio / Arduino stuff
                        if there is interest.

                        Bill  KA8VIT

                        > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: pcteee@...
                        > Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 07:02:57 +0000
                        > Subject: [softrock40] Re:arduino
                        >
                        > Ed
                        >
                        > I'm an Arduino fan as well...

                      • Peter Johnson
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 5 11:17 PM
                          Hi Ronald.

                          Google or QRZ found it for me.

                          But here it is:- http://ka8vit.com

                          Regards Peter F1VKK

                          On 06/05/11 06:39, Ronald Wagner wrote:

                          Bill, what’s the address of your web site?

                          I have forums available on my web site that can be used for Radio / Arduino stuff
                          if there is interest.

                          Bill  KA8VIT

                          > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: pcteee@...