Re: [softrock40] SoftRock RXTX Ensemble Transceiver Kit

  • Ken Chase
    Message 1 of 29 , May 1, 2011
      Tony usually will announce when he will be ABLE to make kits available. Just keep checking.

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 10, 2014

        I am new in this group, interested in assembling the sdr kit. I have boubt that can I add all bands 10m to 160m in board itself. anyone tried and working, 73s

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 11, 2014
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 11, 2014
            >>> I have not heard of anyone extending the range, there is certainly no kit. It would be a big job.

            Alan,

            I have build 160m - 10m transceiver based on RXTX Ensemble. But your note is right - this is a not easy job.

            Andy - YL2QN

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 11, 2014
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 11, 2014
                Hi Alan,

                The "VUZAZ" SDR, the derivative of peaberry can presumably do all bands. The bpf board in this page shows 1 filter section assembled and provision for 5 more. Presumably switched using the fst3253 (not sure if it can switch 1 W??) or some other one. 15 kits were assembled, 10 were working, 2 are reported to be on the air (on 40). One assembled kit is in my city and I have asked for trying it and expect to have it soon. Will post my experience here.

                http://www.siars.org.in/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2751

                73 Aravind vu2abs

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 11, 2014
                  > The "VUZAZ" SDR, the derivative of peaberry can presumably do all bands.
                  > The bpf board in this page shows 1 filter section assembled and
                  > provision for 5 more. Presumably switched using the fst3253 (not sure if
                  > it can switch 1 W??) or some other one. 15 kits were assembled, 10 were
                  > working, 2 are reported to be on the air (on 40). One assembled kit is
                  > in my city and I have asked for trying it and expect to have it soon.
                  > Will post my experience here.
                  >
                  > http://www.siars.org.in/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2751

                  Aravind,

                  Thank you, I had forgotten that.
                  I see two relays, the FST3253 will not switch 1 watt but I'd expect to see more relays.
                  Will they ever be released as kits on the world market?
                  I'm sure there would be a demand if supported like the Softrock.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • yl2qn_andy
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 11, 2014
                    >>> My method would be to take the Si570 frequency to a home-made op-amp/mixer board then use plug-in PA units like the long-gone v6.3.
                    The RX BPFs could be switched with extra pins on the PA boards.
                    Maybe simpler than your method? But still not simple.

                    Alan,

                    My way is not very difficult, but after modification this is a not an Ensemble RXTX. This is a TRX based on Ensemble RXTX.

                    Short version what I did.

                    Stage I
                    TX chain.
                    Remove C20, replace L1 with jumper, replace C21 with 0.01 uF value, replace T2 with broadband smd transformer WBC1-1TLB from Coilcraft.
                    As result we will have highpass filter with very low cut-off frequency instead of bpf. The homemade transformer from 80m band version (we need to have enough inductance to get low cut-off) will also work, but Coilcraft transformer have a great balance (phase and voltage) in wide frequency range.

                    Setup T3 and T4 from 20m version.

                    RX chain.
                    Remove C39, replace L4 with jumper, replace C27 with 0.01 uF value, replace T5 with WBC1-1TLB. Again, transformer from 80m version can be used. Now we replace bpf with highpass with very low cut-off frequency.

                    BPF chain.
                    Remove C24, C25, C26, replace with jumper L2, remove L3. We remove LPF now.

                    Build any BPF filters for your bands. You can chose any design what you like. These filters will be used for RX and TX as well. My build is a very good quality BPF's designed by Tasa for Genesis project. BPF's switched by relays from manual switch and connected to RXTX board instead of L3.

                    For the first, simplest stage what's all !

                    After success with my project I'm continue extend my RXTX.

                    Stage II.
                    Additional BPF's after mixer and before amplification stage is good idea, to remove harmonics and local oscillator leakage. No need here a high performance  BPF's. I'm build a small board with smd based components (inductance's again from Coilcraft) 3 pole BPF's switched by two FST3251. BCD signal generated by small hex switch. Also I'm added cheap multiplexor on main BPF board with Darlington array ULN2803A to switch main BPF's from same bandcode.

                    Stage III.
                    Well know issue is not enough sensitivity for 10m band and some times a lot of sensitivity on low bands (especially in big contests). I'm build again a small board with +12db Norton pre-amplifier, -6db and -12db attenuators switchable by small relays (I don't want here additional attenuation from FST3251, but may be use them is good idea). Relay switchable by small switcher.

                    Stage IV
                    Improvement of amplification stage. Try to build QRO modification by GM3SBC but without success.

                    At this stage I have all band a good performance SDR.

                    Stage V
                    Really funny project for me. Automation of my RXTX. As control board I use Arduino UNO, and generate all necessary signals to switch BPF's, frontend board, antenna relay box and now I'm working on automate tube PA with step motors. Arduino talks with powerSDR software over CAT interface (using virtual bridge) and know frequency, and other controls state.

                    Regards,
                    Andy - YL2QN
                  • Tony Parks
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                      Good Morning All,

                      I am looking at what it might take to do a piggyback all HF filter board to make the RXTX Ensemble an all HF transceiver.

                      Some initial thoughts are as follows:

                      Stay with the same v15.15 firmware.
                      Do LP/BP filter selection based on Si570 frequency by an analog timing means.
                      Do filters, (TX BP and LP, RX BP), for five band groups: 160m, 80m, 40m/30m, 20m/17m, 15m/12m/10m.
                      Eliminate need for external LP filter to meet FCC spurious emissions requirement.
                      Use relays for switching the TX LP filters.
                      Keep the height of the piggyback board low so that the presently used RXTX enclosure can still be used.

                      As it has always been with the Softrock kits, good input from others REALLY helps!

                      Thanks and 73,
                      --
                      Tony Parks
                      kb9yig@...

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                        > I am looking at what it might take to do a piggyback all HF filter board
                        > to make the RXTX Ensemble an all HF transceiver.
                        >
                        > Some initial thoughts are as follows:
                        >
                        > Stay with the same v15.15 firmware.
                        > Do LP/BP filter selection based on Si570 frequency by an analog timing
                        > means.
                        > Do filters, (TX BP and LP, RX BP), for five band groups: 160m, 80m,
                        > 40m/30m, 20m/17m, 15m/12m/10m.
                        > Eliminate need for external LP filter to meet FCC spurious emissions
                        > requirement.
                        > Use relays for switching the TX LP filters.
                        > Keep the height of the piggyback board low so that the presently used
                        > RXTX enclosure can still be used.

                        Tony,

                        This seems to be all that is required.
                        So you are thinking of getting the whole TX chain on this piggyback board?
                        I think many are waiting for such a project.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • Tony Parks
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                          Good Morning Allan,

                          Yes, to be a useful project the piggyback filter board would need to cover all HF.  Hopefully, the interconnect between the filter board and an RXTX board can be made simple for easy modification of existing RXTX boards.

                          I am definitely open to input from others.

                          Regards,
                          --
                          Tony Parks
                          kb9yig@...

                          On Sat, 2014-09-13 at 11:46 +0000, 'Alan' alan4alan@... [softrock40] wrote:

                          > I am looking at what it might take to do a piggyback all HF filter board
                          > to make the RXTX Ensemble an all HF transceiver.
                          >
                          > Some initial thoughts are as follows:
                          >
                          > Stay with the same v15.15 firmware.
                          > Do LP/BP filter selection based on Si570 frequency by an analog timing
                          > means.
                          > Do filters, (TX BP and LP, RX BP), for five band groups: 160m, 80m,
                          > 40m/30m, 20m/17m, 15m/12m/10m.
                          > Eliminate need for external LP filter to meet FCC spurious emissions
                          > requirement.
                          > Use relays for switching the TX LP filters.
                          > Keep the height of the piggyback board low so that the presently used
                          > RXTX enclosure can still be used.

                          Tony,

                          This seems to be all that is required.
                          So you are thinking of getting the whole TX chain on this piggyback board?
                          I think many are waiting for such a project.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ

                        • John Greusel
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                            Good Morning Tony,

                            I've been following the progress on Chris's all band transceiver- based on the Softrock and other's work. I think he did a good job making a low profile system for the LPF board- take a look.

                            John
                            KC9OJV

                            Yes, to be a useful project the piggyback filter board would need to cover all HF.  Hopefully, the interconnect between the filter board and an RXTX board can be made simple for easy modification of existing RXTX boards.

                            I am definitely open to input from others.

                            Regards,
                            --
                            Tony Parks
                            kb9yig@...
                            http://fivedash.com

                            On Sat, 2014-09-13 at 11:46 +0000, 'Alan' alan4alan@... [softrock40] wrote:

                            > I am looking at what it might take to do a piggyback all HF filter board
                            > to make the RXTX Ensemble an all HF transceiver.
                            >
                            > Some initial thoughts are as follows:
                            >
                            > Stay with the same v15.15 firmware.
                            > Do LP/BP filter selection based on Si570 frequency by an analog timing
                            > means.
                            > Do filters, (TX BP and LP, RX BP), for five band groups: 160m, 80m,
                            > 40m/30m, 20m/17m, 15m/12m/10m.
                            > Eliminate need for external LP filter to meet FCC spurious emissions
                            > requirement.
                            > Use relays for switching the TX LP filters.
                            > Keep the height of the piggyback board low so that the presently used
                            > RXTX enclosure can still be used.

                            Tony,

                            This seems to be all that is required.
                            So you are thinking of getting the whole TX chain on this piggyback board?
                            I think many are waiting for such a project.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          • Cecil Bayona
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                              I would thing a lot of people would be interested
                              in an all band RxTx radio, it would simplify getting all band radio.

                              At 03:14 AM 9/13/2014, you wrote:

                              >Good Morning All,
                              >
                              >I am looking at what it might take to do a
                              >piggyback all HF filter board to make the RXTX Ensemble an all HF transceiver.
                              >
                              >Some initial thoughts are as follows:
                              >
                              >Stay with the same v15.15 firmware.
                              >Do LP/BP filter selection based on Si570 frequency by an analog timing means.
                              >Do filters, (TX BP and LP, RX BP), for five band
                              >groups: 160m, 80m, 40m/30m, 20m/17m, 15m/12m/10m.
                              >Eliminate need for external LP filter to meet
                              >FCC spurious emissions requirement.
                              >Use relays for switching the TX LP filters.
                              >Keep the height of the piggyback board low so
                              >that the presently used RXTX enclosure can still be used.
                              >
                              >As it has always been with the Softrock kits,
                              >good input from others REALLY helps!
                              >
                              >Thanks and 73,
                              >--
                              >Tony Parks
                              >
                              ><mailto:kb9yig@...>kb9yig@...
                              >http://fivedash.com
                              >

                              >On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 23:58 -0700, vu3phn@... [softrock40] wrote:
                              >>
                              >>I am new in this group, interested in
                              >>assembling the sdr kit. I have boubt that can I
                              >>add all bands 10m to 160m in board itself. anyone tried and working, 73s

                              --
                              Cecil - k5nwa

                            • Peter Johnson
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                                Hi Tony.

                                What can one say except looking forward to it.
                                It will be very popular.

                                Peter F1VKK
                                On 13/09/2014 10:14 AM, Tony Parks kb9yig@... [softrock40] wrote:
[...]

                              • Bill Cromwell
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                                  Hi,

                                  "All band" radios have some advantages over "single band" radios but
                                  they bring a host of their own issues. It's not simple as in 'simplify
                                  getting all band radio'. I have personally moved toward favoring single
                                  band and even single mode radios with many fewer compromises over 'all
                                  band - all mode" radios.

                                  I have gone to the Web SDR pages and checked out the SDR at the
                                  University of Twenty (sic) and it's nice to play with in spite of what I
                                  have already said. If that unit didn't cover DC to daylight there
                                  wouldn't be very many of us able to use it all at the same time. In my
                                  own radio shack there is just me <grin>. So many trade-offs.

                                  I still have that SoftRock 40 receiver for the 20 meter band waiting in
                                  it's unopened, original bag for winter to arrive so I will finally have
                                  time to assemble it!

                                  73,

                                  Bill KU8H

                                  On 09/13/2014 08:59 AM, Cecil Bayona cbayona@... [softrock40] wrote:

                                  > I would thing a lot of people would be interested
                                  > in an all band RxTx radio, it would simplify getting all band radio.

                                • Joseph LaFerla
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                                    Tony

                                    I would welcome such a piggyback board, particularly if it can fit inside the current enclosure.  Wow!

                                    Thanks for all you do for sdr.

                                    Joe
                                    VA3JLF

                                    Sent from Windows Mail

                                    MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "www.kb9yig.com" claiming to be http://fivedash.com

                                    On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 23:58 -0700, vu3phn@... [softrock40] wrote:

                                    I am new in this group, interested in assembling the sdr kit. I have boubt that can I add all bands 10m to 160m in board itself. anyone tried and working, 73s

                                  • oz2da
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014
                                      Hey Tony

                                      When can I purchase that board ?? Would be awesome. Want want want.

                                      Dennis Andersen
                                      OZ2DA

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 13, 2014

                                        There are already options available if you scan the network.

                                        73,

                                        Alan - W6ARH

                                        Mobokits - http://mobokits.stormwarning.org

                                        UHFSDR - Order by sending USD via paypal to my email address.  US orders are $210 and DX are $215.

                                        http://www.wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html#UHFSDR

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 14, 2014
                                          I'd be interested too.  It would be a nice addition to my collection.  I already have several ensemble rxtx, a peaberry, and a mobo.

                                          As far as keeping the board height down, what about using smd inductors?  I know people don't like hand soldering those.  But it would keep the board dimensions down.
                                        • Alain Reiner
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 14, 2014

                                            Hello Tony, all.

                                            I would suggest :

                                            1) to have a separate RX antenna so you could choose to switch the antenna between TX/RX in the Trx, or further in a separate PA, or simply for using a separate RX antenna.

                                            2) I guess that the QSE circuit would still be the FST3253. This gives a LO peak at -40db under the transmission level. For QRP operations it's all right. But I am not only running QRP and I'd like to get at least 50 dB for the LO rejection. Of course this unwanted transmitted signal is not filtered...

                                            3) a physical PTT output.

                                            4) the classical Power led and Tx led

                                            5) 1 led per band

                                            6) on/off switch

                                            I know that more features you put in, and higher the price. But, anyway, I made these modifications in my RXTX ( all but the 2nd, to difficult without totally breaking the board, and but the 6th because only one band ).

                                            You could as well propose some PA kits. I could give you what I've done ( 20 W PA )  if you were interested.

                                            It's all I've got in mind for now. I'll let you know if I had other ideas.

                                            Best Regards, 73,

                                            Alain F4HFS

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 15, 2014

                                              Hi,

                                              I've got a 7th idea : a high SWR input to block the PA. would it be possible to pass the info to the SDR soft to get a software warning ?

                                              Best Regards, 73,

                                              Alain F4HFS

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 16, 2014
                                                Alan,

                                                With regards to the design doc, please see below mail snippet

                                                http://www2.hamfest.in/

                                                Dont have any info about it being made available in Kit/assembled form.

                                                73s de Aravind

                                                 The Circuit and other technical details are reserved for the coming HAMFEST 2014. Kindly bare with us until then. We provide all the details of The VU SDR-ZAZ in the Hamfest 2014. Souvenir . The problem u are facig is nothing to with Hardware. It is software problem. I will try to give debugging details latter.
                                                regards
                                                VU2ZAZ

                                                Posted by: bnam1954@...