Re: [softrock40] Icom and Softrock

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29 7:15 PM
      I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if anyone has done it.

      Bruce, K2BET
      ---

      On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:

      Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter display.
      I searched but did not get any results.

      Charles
      WB4HLW

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • c.oawright
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29 7:31 PM
        I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32 coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
        I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
        It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
        Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.

        Charles
        WB4HLW

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

        > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
        > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
        > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
        > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
        > anyone has done it.
        >
        > Bruce, K2BET
        > ---
        >
        > On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter
        > > display.
        > > I searched but did not get any results.
        > >
        > > Charles
        > > WB4HLW

        > > signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

        > > http://www.eset.com

      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29 7:38 PM
          I'm aware that such an arrangement has been used also but have not tried that. I have actually used the SR for RX and the ICOM for TX with an antenna switch between but occasionally I get cut on the sword! ;)  I also use a 'DEO Receiver Guard' ahead of the SR when I use the ICOM. It seems to work pretty good so far but I found that I needed to put a few turns of the USB cable around a ferrite choke to keep from disengaging the Si-570 with the higher power RF around the shack.

          bet

          On 4/29/2011 10:31 PM, c.oawright wrote:

          I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32 coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
          I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
          It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
          Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.

          Charles
          WB4HLW

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

          > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
          > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
          > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
          > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
          > anyone has done it.
          >
          > Bruce, K2BET
          > ---
          >
          > On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter
          > > display.
          > > I searched but did not get any results.
          > >
          > > Charles
          > > WB4HLW

          > > signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

          > > http://www.eset.com

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Jarmo Blomster
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29 10:52 PM
            Hi,

            I've tapped SR to 455kHz strip. I made the tap at main unit before FI272 filter.
            The 2IF from second mixer comes to J250, it goes to the common node of D250 and D251.
            I connected a thin teflon coaxial through a 100pF capacitor this D250/251 and make a small hollow to the rear panel for a SMA connector.
            I have a separate unit with a MMIC amplifier,  a 455 kHz LPF and SR, after SR I have two audio transformers and the audio goes through two balanced lines to M-Audio Delta 44 1/2 inputs.
            The LPF and the MMIC prevent the SR oscillator leaks to 746 Pro IF (7400 in my case).
            Without the LPF the orcillator leakage at 80m band was clearly audiable.
            The SR crystal ferquency is 3540kHz that gives center frequency nicely off the passband (3540/8 = 442.5).

            This works nice with CW skimmer and the bandwidth I get is nice for that.

            73 de oh8kva Jarmo

            2011/4/30 Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

            I'm aware that such an arrangement has been used also but have not tried that. I have actually used the SR for RX and the ICOM for TX with an antenna switch between but occasionally I get cut on the sword! ;)  I also use a 'DEO Receiver Guard' ahead of the SR when I use the ICOM. It seems to work pretty good so far but I found that I needed to put a few turns of the USB cable around a ferrite choke to keep from disengaging the Si-570 with the higher power RF around the shack.

            bet

            On 4/29/2011 10:31 PM, c.oawright wrote:

            I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32 coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
            I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
            It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
            Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.

            Charles
            WB4HLW

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

            > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
            > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
            > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
            > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
            > anyone has done it.
            >
            > Bruce, K2BET
            > ---
            >
            > On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:
            > >
            > > Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter
            > > display.
            > > I searched but did not get any results.
            > >
            > > Charles
            > > WB4HLW

            > > signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

            > > http://www.eset.com

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • uncle_ziba
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
              Hi Jarmo

              I read that you tapped IC-746 455 kHz IF for SDR use. How much bandwidth do you get with that?

              I'm trying to get the 2IF out at the J501 connector. I'm planning to connect a softrock via a buffer amp. However, I think I'm wasting my time. According to the service manual the first IF at 69 MHz is filtered through the FL-120 filter, which I'm afraid is a 15 kHz filter. ( could not find the specs). In that case the bandwidth I'm going to get at IF2 is not going to be wide enough for an SDR. Unless I'm reading things wrong we should tap at the first IF before the filters.

              The second IF is also filtered at least 15 kHz and one of the other band pass filters. that's why I'm curious what can you actually see at the 455 IF..

              regards,
              Vasiliy K3IT

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jarmo Blomster <jarmoblo@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I've tapped SR to 455kHz strip. I made the tap at main unit before FI272
              > filter.
              > The 2IF from second mixer comes to J250, it goes to the common node of D250
              > and D251.
              > I connected a thin teflon coaxial through a 100pF capacitor this D250/251
              > and make a small hollow to the rear panel for a SMA connector.
              > I have a separate unit with a MMIC amplifier, a 455 kHz LPF and SR, after
              > SR I have two audio transformers and the audio goes through two balanced
              > lines to M-Audio Delta 44 1/2 inputs.
              > The LPF and the MMIC prevent the SR oscillator leaks to 746 Pro IF (7400 in
              > my case).
              > Without the LPF the orcillator leakage at 80m band was clearly audiable.
              > The SR crystal ferquency is 3540kHz that gives center frequency nicely off
              > the passband (3540/8 = 442.5).
              >
              > This works nice with CW skimmer and the bandwidth I get is nice for that.
              >
              > 73 de oh8kva Jarmo
              >

              > 2011/4/30 Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
              >

              > > I'm aware that such an arrangement has been used also but have not tried
              > > that. I have actually used the SR for RX and the ICOM for TX with an antenna
              > > switch between but occasionally I get cut on the sword! ;) I also use a
              > > 'DEO Receiver Guard' ahead of the SR when I use the ICOM. It seems to work
              > > pretty good so far but I found that I needed to put a few turns of the USB
              > > cable around a ferrite choke to keep from disengaging the Si-570 with the
              > > higher power RF around the shack.
              > >
              > > bet
              > >

              > > On 4/29/2011 10:31 PM, c.oawright wrote:
              > >

              > > I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the
              > > most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr
              > > software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32
              > > coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
              > > I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one
              > > time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
              > > It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
              > > Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.
              > >
              > > Charles
              > > WB4HLW
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> <bet110@>wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
              > > > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
              > > > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
              > > > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
              > > > anyone has done it.
              > > >
              > > > Bruce, K2BET
              > > > ---

              > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
              > > database 6082 (20110429) __________

              > > http://www.eset.com

            • Jack Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                Yes, in order to obtain a useful bandwidth, the IF sample must be obtained before the first crystal filter (roofing filter).

                So, it will require a 69 MHz Softrock, or down-converter in the case of your ICOM.

                Jack K8ZOA

              • Matt
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                  I tapped the IF of the spectrum scope receiver in my 756P3. 13.345
                  MHz works a treat with my HF softie or SDR-IQ. I use Ham Radio Delux
                  and PowerSDR/IF with the softie and SDR-Radio with the
                  SDR-IQ. Point-n-shoot tuning it's just plan magic!

                  I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf

                  And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf

                  Enjoy.

                  Matt -VK2DAG-
                • uncle_ziba
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8, 2012
                    very nice write up. Unfortunately my older 746 does not have a bandscope mixer. Instead it sweeps the 1st LO frequency when the bandscope function is activated. As Jack mentioned above I don't have a lot of options for tapping the HF range IF. I've read on another board that people do it with FunCube and 69MHz first IF or perhaps the VHF Softrock can be useful.

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt <vk2dag@...> wrote:

                    > I tapped the IF of the spectrum scope receiver in my 756P3. 13.345
                    > MHz works a treat with my HF softie or SDR-IQ. I use Ham Radio Delux
                    > and PowerSDR/IF with the softie and SDR-Radio with the
                    > SDR-IQ. Point-n-shoot tuning it's just plan magic!
                    >
                    > I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                    >
                    > And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                    >
                    > Enjoy.
                    >
                    > Matt -VK2DAG-

                  • s3hampton
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2012
                      Matt;

                      HIGHLY INTERESTED in getting the info on just how you were able to use your Softrock as described!!

                      However, you had linked a non-available item or link, as this is an item which is either no longer in your Dropbox folder, or has been moved from Dropbox. (If it is available as described, I sure am not getting it...)

                      In my case, I have a very strong desire to add a panoramic display to my TS-590; Your experience is highly coveted, as it seems to be a similar method and experience/result!

                      Is it possible to add your info to a "files" folder on this user group? -This, or upload it to your ISP, utilizing the storage space that always seems to be available to an ISP's customer?

                      Thank you!

                      73; -Mike- KØJTA

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt <vk2dag@...> wrote:

                      > I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                      > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                      >
                      > And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                      > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                      >
                      > Enjoy.
                      >
                      > Matt -VK2DAG-

                    • s3hampton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8, 2012
                        I have found that the links that you have supplied do indeed work, when I use Internet explorer!

                        I now have the documents.
                        Thank you for your fine effort!!!

                        I will now have to read the items, and see if there are hints that allow my TS-590's (pre-filtering) 11.nnn Mhz IF to be used in a similar manner as you have done.

                        73! Thank you again! -Mike- KØJTA

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "s3hampton" <mike@...> wrote:

                        > Matt;
                        >
                        > HIGHLY INTERESTED in getting the info on just how you were able to use your Softrock as described!!
                        >
                        > However, you had linked a non-available item or link, as this is an item which is either no longer in your Dropbox folder, or has been moved from Dropbox. (If it is available as described, I sure am not getting it...)
                        >
                        > In my case, I have a very strong desire to add a panoramic display to my TS-590; Your experience is highly coveted, as it seems to be a similar method and experience/result!
                        >
                        > Is it possible to add your info to a "files" folder on this user group? -This, or upload it to your ISP, utilizing the storage space that always seems to be available to an ISP's customer?
                        >
                        > Thank you!
                        >
                        > 73; -Mike- KØJTA
                        >

                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt <vk2dag@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                        > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                        > >
                        > > And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                        > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                        > >
                        > > Enjoy.
                        > >
                        > > Matt -VK2DAG-

                      • Matt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2012
                          > very nice write up. Unfortunately my older
                          746 does not have a bandscope mixer. Instead it
                          sweeps the 1st LO frequency when the bandscope
                          function is activated. As Jack mentioned > above
                          I don't have a lot of options for tapping the HF
                          range IF. I've read on another board that people
                          do it with FunCube and 69MHz first IF or perhaps
                          the VHF Softrock can be useful.
                          > 73, Bob G8VOI

                          Thanks Bob.

                          Yes I had a 746 before I got the 756. I was
                          trying to do this in the 746 and gave up. The
                          "bandscope" function won't do the job. I also
                          have a VHF softie here that I was going to build
                          up to replace my present setup but it works so
                          well I haven't bothered. But my FT-817, I use
                          for an IF to my microwave transverters, has a 68
                          MHz IF so I will be either building the VHF
                          softie or getting the funcube too. W1GHZ has
                          info by N1JEZ on his site for adding an IF tap
                          and funcube to the FT-817 http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/small_proj.htm

                          The 756 scope receiver is not as good as the main
                          receiver as I see a lot of "phantom" signals,
                          mainly high powered SW broadcasters but I only
                          see them when I use the rhombic without the tuner
                          on. And I don't listen to the SDR I just use it
                          for point-n-shoot so not a problem really. My
                          SDR-IQ and softie have 192 KHz bandwidth

                          Also I had a go at the IC-706MK2g and that was a
                          total fail! The bandwidth of the 9 MHz 2nd IF
                          was around 12 KHz. Again I didn't have a VHF SDR
                          at the time to test so I didn't look into the 69
                          MHz IF. I think you may have the same problem
                          with the 455 KHz in the 746. I went a bit insane
                          and tried to tap the IF of ever radio I have! My
                          R2500 is a good point. It only receives SSB up
                          to 1300 MHz, but it goes up to 3.3 GHz. With an
                          SDR on the IF I can now listen on SSB for the full coverage of the radio.

                          Another bonus of using an SDR is all the Virtual
                          Audio Cables I can create. Setup all my decoding
                          software (WSJT, SSTV etc) to listen to the VAC. No cables running everywhere.

                          > I have found that the links that you have
                          supplied do indeed work, when I use Internet explorer!

                          > I now have the documents.
                          > Thank you for your fine effort!!!
                          >
                          > I will now have to read the items, and see if
                          there are hints that allow my TS-590's
                          (pre-filtering) 11.nnn Mhz IF to be used in a similar manner as you have done.

                          > 73! Thank you again! -Mike- KØJTA

                          OK Mike dunno what's happen there with other
                          browsers. I strongly suggest the Clifton Labs
                          buffer/amps.
                          http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/current_products.htm
                          When I fist tapped my IC-910 IF with just a cap
                          it degraded the receiver performance
                          greatly. The buffer amp fixed it. There is a
                          lot of stuff on the net about the 590 but most
                          users seem to be switching the main antenna
                          between the 590 and the SDR. There is a good
                          discussion by some 590 owners about this on the SDR-radio-com yahoo group.

                          Here some video running both PowerSDR/IF & Softie
                          along side SDR-Console & SDR-IQ. SDR-Console is
                          a lot more mature now so I'll make another video
                          tonight and upload it. The audio in the videos
                          is from the 756 and not the SDR.
                          http://youtu.be/v81-YJWefTM (when utube gets around to finishing the upload)

                          Enjoy.

                          Matt -VK2DAG-
                        • cutsgems
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 10, 2012
                            I'd also urge folks to check out the mdsdr group

                            This is along the same lines but it covers multiple radios and uses rig control software as well.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 10, 2012
                              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Icom and Softrock

                              > I'd also urge folks to check out the mdsdr group

                              As I understand it, this uses a proprietry interface to give a 12 KHz wide
                              display?

                              > This is along the same lines but it covers multiple radios and uses rig
                              > control software as well.

                            • Matt
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 13, 2012
                                Wow it took a long time to upload this to utube. Sorry about the delay.

                                SDR-Console is a lot more mature now.

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAC66mCcg7M

                                Matt -VK2DAG-
                              • uncle_ziba
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 13, 2012
                                  The only thing that keeps me from switching to sdr-console is the cw offset issue (when tuning an external rig). But I hear it's either already fixed in the latest build or may be high on the list. It's sure is a nice software. I'm using hdsdr which I like a lot also.