Icom and Softrock

  • c.oawright
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2011
      Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter display.
      I searched but did not get any results.

      Charles
      WB4HLW
    • Bruce Tanner
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2011
        I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if anyone has done it.

        Bruce, K2BET
        ---

        On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:

        Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter display.
        I searched but did not get any results.

        Charles
        WB4HLW

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • c.oawright
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29, 2011
          I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32 coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
          I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
          It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
          Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.

          Charles
          WB4HLW

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

          > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
          > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
          > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
          > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
          > anyone has done it.
          >
          > Bruce, K2BET
          > ---
          >
          > On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter
          > > display.
          > > I searched but did not get any results.
          > >
          > > Charles
          > > WB4HLW

          > > signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

          > > http://www.eset.com

        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29, 2011
            I'm aware that such an arrangement has been used also but have not tried that. I have actually used the SR for RX and the ICOM for TX with an antenna switch between but occasionally I get cut on the sword! ;)  I also use a 'DEO Receiver Guard' ahead of the SR when I use the ICOM. It seems to work pretty good so far but I found that I needed to put a few turns of the USB cable around a ferrite choke to keep from disengaging the Si-570 with the higher power RF around the shack.

            bet

            On 4/29/2011 10:31 PM, c.oawright wrote:

            I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32 coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
            I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
            It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
            Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.

            Charles
            WB4HLW

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

            > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
            > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
            > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
            > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
            > anyone has done it.
            >
            > Bruce, K2BET
            > ---
            >
            > On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:
            > >
            > > Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter
            > > display.
            > > I searched but did not get any results.
            > >
            > > Charles
            > > WB4HLW

            > > signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

            > > http://www.eset.com

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • Jarmo Blomster
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 29, 2011
              Hi,

              I've tapped SR to 455kHz strip. I made the tap at main unit before FI272 filter.
              The 2IF from second mixer comes to J250, it goes to the common node of D250 and D251.
              I connected a thin teflon coaxial through a 100pF capacitor this D250/251 and make a small hollow to the rear panel for a SMA connector.
              I have a separate unit with a MMIC amplifier,  a 455 kHz LPF and SR, after SR I have two audio transformers and the audio goes through two balanced lines to M-Audio Delta 44 1/2 inputs.
              The LPF and the MMIC prevent the SR oscillator leaks to 746 Pro IF (7400 in my case).
              Without the LPF the orcillator leakage at 80m band was clearly audiable.
              The SR crystal ferquency is 3540kHz that gives center frequency nicely off the passband (3540/8 = 442.5).

              This works nice with CW skimmer and the bandwidth I get is nice for that.

              73 de oh8kva Jarmo

              2011/4/30 Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>

              I'm aware that such an arrangement has been used also but have not tried that. I have actually used the SR for RX and the ICOM for TX with an antenna switch between but occasionally I get cut on the sword! ;)  I also use a 'DEO Receiver Guard' ahead of the SR when I use the ICOM. It seems to work pretty good so far but I found that I needed to put a few turns of the USB cable around a ferrite choke to keep from disengaging the Si-570 with the higher power RF around the shack.

              bet

              On 4/29/2011 10:31 PM, c.oawright wrote:

              I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32 coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
              I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
              It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
              Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.

              Charles
              WB4HLW

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

              > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
              > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
              > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
              > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
              > anyone has done it.
              >
              > Bruce, K2BET
              > ---
              >
              > On 4/29/2011 10:05 PM, c.oawright wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anyone interfaced a softrock with Icom 746 pro to get Panadapter
              > > display.
              > > I searched but did not get any results.
              > >
              > > Charles
              > > WB4HLW

              > > signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

              > > http://www.eset.com

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6082 (20110429) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • uncle_ziba
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                Hi Jarmo

                I read that you tapped IC-746 455 kHz IF for SDR use. How much bandwidth do you get with that?

                I'm trying to get the 2IF out at the J501 connector. I'm planning to connect a softrock via a buffer amp. However, I think I'm wasting my time. According to the service manual the first IF at 69 MHz is filtered through the FL-120 filter, which I'm afraid is a 15 kHz filter. ( could not find the specs). In that case the bandwidth I'm going to get at IF2 is not going to be wide enough for an SDR. Unless I'm reading things wrong we should tap at the first IF before the filters.

                The second IF is also filtered at least 15 kHz and one of the other band pass filters. that's why I'm curious what can you actually see at the 455 IF..

                regards,
                Vasiliy K3IT

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jarmo Blomster <jarmoblo@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I've tapped SR to 455kHz strip. I made the tap at main unit before FI272
                > filter.
                > The 2IF from second mixer comes to J250, it goes to the common node of D250
                > and D251.
                > I connected a thin teflon coaxial through a 100pF capacitor this D250/251
                > and make a small hollow to the rear panel for a SMA connector.
                > I have a separate unit with a MMIC amplifier, a 455 kHz LPF and SR, after
                > SR I have two audio transformers and the audio goes through two balanced
                > lines to M-Audio Delta 44 1/2 inputs.
                > The LPF and the MMIC prevent the SR oscillator leaks to 746 Pro IF (7400 in
                > my case).
                > Without the LPF the orcillator leakage at 80m band was clearly audiable.
                > The SR crystal ferquency is 3540kHz that gives center frequency nicely off
                > the passband (3540/8 = 442.5).
                >
                > This works nice with CW skimmer and the bandwidth I get is nice for that.
                >
                > 73 de oh8kva Jarmo
                >

                > 2011/4/30 Bruce Tanner <bet110@...>
                >

                > > I'm aware that such an arrangement has been used also but have not tried
                > > that. I have actually used the SR for RX and the ICOM for TX with an antenna
                > > switch between but occasionally I get cut on the sword! ;) I also use a
                > > 'DEO Receiver Guard' ahead of the SR when I use the ICOM. It seems to work
                > > pretty good so far but I found that I needed to put a few turns of the USB
                > > cable around a ferrite choke to keep from disengaging the Si-570 with the
                > > higher power RF around the shack.
                > >
                > > bet
                > >

                > > On 4/29/2011 10:31 PM, c.oawright wrote:
                > >

                > > I did find some information and the K3, and FT series radios seem to be the
                > > most popular. I have a "slave" application that sends cat data to power sdr
                > > software that makes the softrock "track" the tuning of the Icom. Logger32
                > > coupled with a utility program called rxslave.
                > > I use power SDR 1.19.3.15. It's sort of unwieldy to use all of it at one
                > > time. Sort of like juggling two bowling pins and a sword.
                > > It works pretty well and that may be as close as I can get right now.
                > > Just need a switch/mute arrangement when I transmit with the Icom.
                > >
                > > Charles
                > > WB4HLW
                > >
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> <bet110@>wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I don't think there has been much reported about use of the SR with the
                > > > IC-746 or 756 series. They require getting into the rig to make the IF
                > > > tap available. I for one am too chicken to do it! But I would also
                > > > welcome some advise or report on use of these rigs with the Softrock if
                > > > anyone has done it.
                > > >
                > > > Bruce, K2BET
                > > > ---

                > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
                > > database 6082 (20110429) __________

                > > http://www.eset.com

              • Jack Smith
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                  Yes, in order to obtain a useful bandwidth, the IF sample must be obtained before the first crystal filter (roofing filter).

                  So, it will require a 69 MHz Softrock, or down-converter in the case of your ICOM.

                  Jack K8ZOA

                • Matt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2012
                    I tapped the IF of the spectrum scope receiver in my 756P3. 13.345
                    MHz works a treat with my HF softie or SDR-IQ. I use Ham Radio Delux
                    and PowerSDR/IF with the softie and SDR-Radio with the
                    SDR-IQ. Point-n-shoot tuning it's just plan magic!

                    I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf

                    And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf

                    Enjoy.

                    Matt -VK2DAG-
                  • uncle_ziba
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2012
                      very nice write up. Unfortunately my older 746 does not have a bandscope mixer. Instead it sweeps the 1st LO frequency when the bandscope function is activated. As Jack mentioned above I don't have a lot of options for tapping the HF range IF. I've read on another board that people do it with FunCube and 69MHz first IF or perhaps the VHF Softrock can be useful.

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt <vk2dag@...> wrote:

                      > I tapped the IF of the spectrum scope receiver in my 756P3. 13.345
                      > MHz works a treat with my HF softie or SDR-IQ. I use Ham Radio Delux
                      > and PowerSDR/IF with the softie and SDR-Radio with the
                      > SDR-IQ. Point-n-shoot tuning it's just plan magic!
                      >
                      > I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                      > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                      >
                      > And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                      > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                      >
                      > Enjoy.
                      >
                      > Matt -VK2DAG-

                    • s3hampton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8, 2012
                        Matt;

                        HIGHLY INTERESTED in getting the info on just how you were able to use your Softrock as described!!

                        However, you had linked a non-available item or link, as this is an item which is either no longer in your Dropbox folder, or has been moved from Dropbox. (If it is available as described, I sure am not getting it...)

                        In my case, I have a very strong desire to add a panoramic display to my TS-590; Your experience is highly coveted, as it seems to be a similar method and experience/result!

                        Is it possible to add your info to a "files" folder on this user group? -This, or upload it to your ISP, utilizing the storage space that always seems to be available to an ISP's customer?

                        Thank you!

                        73; -Mike- KØJTA

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt <vk2dag@...> wrote:

                        > I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                        > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                        >
                        > And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                        > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                        >
                        > Enjoy.
                        >
                        > Matt -VK2DAG-

                      • s3hampton
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8, 2012
                          I have found that the links that you have supplied do indeed work, when I use Internet explorer!

                          I now have the documents.
                          Thank you for your fine effort!!!

                          I will now have to read the items, and see if there are hints that allow my TS-590's (pre-filtering) 11.nnn Mhz IF to be used in a similar manner as you have done.

                          73! Thank you again! -Mike- KØJTA

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "s3hampton" <mike@...> wrote:

                          > Matt;
                          >
                          > HIGHLY INTERESTED in getting the info on just how you were able to use your Softrock as described!!
                          >
                          > However, you had linked a non-available item or link, as this is an item which is either no longer in your Dropbox folder, or has been moved from Dropbox. (If it is available as described, I sure am not getting it...)
                          >
                          > In my case, I have a very strong desire to add a panoramic display to my TS-590; Your experience is highly coveted, as it seems to be a similar method and experience/result!
                          >
                          > Is it possible to add your info to a "files" folder on this user group? -This, or upload it to your ISP, utilizing the storage space that always seems to be available to an ISP's customer?
                          >
                          > Thank you!
                          >
                          > 73; -Mike- KØJTA
                          >

                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt <vk2dag@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I made a doc about how I went about modding the 756 and you can get it here:
                          > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-756Pro3%20-Spectrum%20Scope%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                          > >
                          > > And another doc about modding a IC-910:
                          > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5513613/IC-910%20SDR%20Mod.pdf
                          > >
                          > > Enjoy.
                          > >
                          > > Matt -VK2DAG-

                        • Matt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2012
                            > very nice write up. Unfortunately my older
                            746 does not have a bandscope mixer. Instead it
                            sweeps the 1st LO frequency when the bandscope
                            function is activated. As Jack mentioned > above
                            I don't have a lot of options for tapping the HF
                            range IF. I've read on another board that people
                            do it with FunCube and 69MHz first IF or perhaps
                            the VHF Softrock can be useful.
                            > 73, Bob G8VOI

                            Thanks Bob.

                            Yes I had a 746 before I got the 756. I was
                            trying to do this in the 746 and gave up. The
                            "bandscope" function won't do the job. I also
                            have a VHF softie here that I was going to build
                            up to replace my present setup but it works so
                            well I haven't bothered. But my FT-817, I use
                            for an IF to my microwave transverters, has a 68
                            MHz IF so I will be either building the VHF
                            softie or getting the funcube too. W1GHZ has
                            info by N1JEZ on his site for adding an IF tap
                            and funcube to the FT-817 http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/small_proj.htm

                            The 756 scope receiver is not as good as the main
                            receiver as I see a lot of "phantom" signals,
                            mainly high powered SW broadcasters but I only
                            see them when I use the rhombic without the tuner
                            on. And I don't listen to the SDR I just use it
                            for point-n-shoot so not a problem really. My
                            SDR-IQ and softie have 192 KHz bandwidth

                            Also I had a go at the IC-706MK2g and that was a
                            total fail! The bandwidth of the 9 MHz 2nd IF
                            was around 12 KHz. Again I didn't have a VHF SDR
                            at the time to test so I didn't look into the 69
                            MHz IF. I think you may have the same problem
                            with the 455 KHz in the 746. I went a bit insane
                            and tried to tap the IF of ever radio I have! My
                            R2500 is a good point. It only receives SSB up
                            to 1300 MHz, but it goes up to 3.3 GHz. With an
                            SDR on the IF I can now listen on SSB for the full coverage of the radio.

                            Another bonus of using an SDR is all the Virtual
                            Audio Cables I can create. Setup all my decoding
                            software (WSJT, SSTV etc) to listen to the VAC. No cables running everywhere.

                            > I have found that the links that you have
                            supplied do indeed work, when I use Internet explorer!

                            > I now have the documents.
                            > Thank you for your fine effort!!!
                            >
                            > I will now have to read the items, and see if
                            there are hints that allow my TS-590's
                            (pre-filtering) 11.nnn Mhz IF to be used in a similar manner as you have done.

                            > 73! Thank you again! -Mike- KØJTA

                            OK Mike dunno what's happen there with other
                            browsers. I strongly suggest the Clifton Labs
                            buffer/amps.
                            http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/current_products.htm
                            When I fist tapped my IC-910 IF with just a cap
                            it degraded the receiver performance
                            greatly. The buffer amp fixed it. There is a
                            lot of stuff on the net about the 590 but most
                            users seem to be switching the main antenna
                            between the 590 and the SDR. There is a good
                            discussion by some 590 owners about this on the SDR-radio-com yahoo group.

                            Here some video running both PowerSDR/IF & Softie
                            along side SDR-Console & SDR-IQ. SDR-Console is
                            a lot more mature now so I'll make another video
                            tonight and upload it. The audio in the videos
                            is from the 756 and not the SDR.
                            http://youtu.be/v81-YJWefTM (when utube gets around to finishing the upload)

                            Enjoy.

                            Matt -VK2DAG-
                          • cutsgems
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 10, 2012
                              I'd also urge folks to check out the mdsdr group

                              This is along the same lines but it covers multiple radios and uses rig control software as well.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 10, 2012
                                Subject: [softrock40] Re: Icom and Softrock

                                > I'd also urge folks to check out the mdsdr group

                                As I understand it, this uses a proprietry interface to give a 12 KHz wide
                                display?

                                > This is along the same lines but it covers multiple radios and uses rig
                                > control software as well.

                              • Matt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 13, 2012
                                  Wow it took a long time to upload this to utube. Sorry about the delay.

                                  SDR-Console is a lot more mature now.

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAC66mCcg7M

                                  Matt -VK2DAG-
                                • uncle_ziba
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 13, 2012
                                    The only thing that keeps me from switching to sdr-console is the cw offset issue (when tuning an external rig). But I hear it's either already fixed in the latest build or may be high on the list. It's sure is a nice software. I'm using hdsdr which I like a lot also.