rxtx strange behavior

  • Michael Di Domenico
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 26, 2011
      I've finished my rxtx build, but i get a weird behavior, see pic in photos area

      When i plug all the cables in the RX seems to be working, but then
      less then 10 seconds later i loose rx. If i unplug the usb cable the
      rxtx goes dead, plug the cable back in and i can get rx back, but then
      less then 10 seconds later it goes away. I've been able to repeat
      this consistently

      this did not happen during the build, i was able to RX with the rxtx
      for minutes at a time without issue.

      i don't see any solder bridges top or bottom, but I'm not really sure
      where to start looking.

      all the tests through the TX side of the build were passing, my
      R48/R49 mVDC were a little high 60/71 mVDC respectively, not sure if
      that's a sign of anything though

      can anyone lend some advice?

      thanks
    • JOHN GREUSEL
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 26, 2011

        Michael,

        Did you go into CFGR and tell it which model you have?
        It defaults to the ensemble RX II and will be key down unless you tell it you have a RXTX. In the earlier version of CFGR you had to turn off ABPF to tell it you have an RXTX.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 26, 2011
          From: "Michael

          > I've finished my rxtx build, but i get a weird behavior, see pic in photos
          > area

          > When i plug all the cables in the RX seems to be working, but then
          > less then 10 seconds later i loose rx. If i unplug the usb cable the
          > rxtx goes dead, plug the cable back in and i can get rx back, but then
          > less then 10 seconds later it goes away. I've been able to repeat
          > this consistently

          Michael,

          I have seen something like this with Rocky.
          Have you eliminated the software side, does it still happen in Winrad?

          If so, there is not much to go on.
          Please carry out the RX checks on Robby's site and see if you find anything
          different.

          R48/48 volts are probably OK and The TX should not be causing your problem,
          it should not be working.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Jose Bonanca
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011
            Check the power plug, make sure you have 12v.

            73

            --
            Jose (Ct1aos)
          • Michael Di Domenico

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011
                  On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  Yes, i see it in both. I'm nearly 99.999% percent sure this is a
                  hardware problem. The identical software setup works fine with
                  several over softrocks and was working with the rxtx at one point,
                  somewhere along the line it just stopped.

                  > If so, there is not much to go on.
                  > Please carry out the RX checks on Robby's site and see if you find anything
                  > different.

                  > R48/48 volts are probably OK and The TX should not be causing your problem,
                  > it should not be working.

                  Okay, i wasn't sure if the high VDC on those were causing a bleed
                  somewhere else.
                • grahamg3zod
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011

                    How about putting another receiver on the frequency the si570 is set to and seeing if the si570 is still generating a signal after the 10 seconds?

                    73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8385
                    http://www.fists.co.uk

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4@...> wrote:
                    > Yes, i see it in both.  I'm nearly 99.999% percent sure this is a
                    > hardware problem.  The identical software setup works fine with
                    > several over softrocks and was working with the rxtx at one point,
                    > somewhere along the line it just stopped.
                    > Okay, i wasn't sure if the high VDC on those were causing a bleed
                    > somewhere else.

                  • g8voip
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011
                      Hi Michael,

                      Take a look at the enable pins on the receive mixer U10, pins 1 and 15, before and after it goes wrong. Should be a solid 0V to enable the mixer. Could be they are not being controlled properly and gradually float upwards after a period of time.

                      Looks possibly as it the receiver is muting and you are left with the sound card just connected to the op-amps with no signals present.

                      I did some tests earlier to see what the effect of going into transmit was, but Rocky stops the display scrolling, so your board is not going into transmit as a result of a PTT type problem.

                      Might be worth seeing when it is in the fault state whether toggling it to transmit then back to receive restores the receiver operation for a while.

                      73, Bob G8VOI

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4@...> wrote:

                    • Michael Di Domenico
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011
                        On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM, g8voip <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:
                        > Take a look at the enable pins on the receive mixer U10, pins 1 and 15, before and after it goes wrong. Should be a solid 0V to enable the mixer. Could be they are not being controlled properly and gradually float upwards after a period of time.

                        Both Pins 1 and 15 are ~0, measures 0.6mv before and after the incident

                        However, i did not that before the incident, pin 2 is 2.5v, but right
                        at the incident, pin 2 goes haywire jump between 2 and 3 volts, and
                        settles after bit a 2 volts. Unplug/Plug the USB cable this happens
                        every time, so it's not transient. Though the amount of time it takes
                        to trigger seems to vary by a second or two each time

                        > Looks possibly as it the receiver is muting and you are left with the sound card just connected to the op-amps with no signals present.

                        > I did some tests earlier to see what the effect of going into transmit was, but Rocky stops the display scrolling, so your board is not going into transmit as a result of a PTT type problem.
                        > Might be worth seeing when it is in the fault state whether toggling it to transmit then back to receive restores the receiver operation for a while.

                        If i do it quickly after plugging in the USB cable, i can trigger PTT
                        from CFGSR, i can see Winrad mute the RX audio and then come back

                        I ran through the divider tests as well, looks like when i first plug
                        the USB cable in i get two waveforms in quadrature at 7.05Mhz, but
                        then as soon as the incident happens, they go haywire reading like
                        12Mhz and the waveform lines get all scattery
                      • g8voip
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011
                          Hi Michael,

                          Its never a good idea to unplug the USB and reconnect whilst running any of the SDR programs.

                          If you are seeing the Si570 frequency change after the problem occurs, sounds more like the old chestnut of poor soldered joints on the Si570.

                          The only thing that does not stack up with that is I would have expected the receiver to continue to function where clearly your one appears to mute and you are just left with the sort of thing you see with hum and noise around the centre point.

                          73, Bob G8VOI

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 28, 2011
                            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: rxtx strange behavior

                            > I ran through the divider tests as well, looks like when i first plug
                            > the USB cable in i get two waveforms in quadrature at 7.05Mhz, but
                            > then as soon as the incident happens, they go haywire reading like
                            > 12Mhz and the waveform lines get all scattery

                            As Bob says, you need to go back to the Si570 and find out where things go
                            wrong.
                            Maybe a bad joint on T1, the Si570 or the divider.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • visierl
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 28, 2011
                              Michael,

                              While this is not necessarily what is causing your problem, I had a similar problem with my 6.3 shortly after I built it. I determined that the LO was dying on me (I scoped the QSD test points and only saw a signal when the receiver was working). After scratching my head for a while, I noticed that the Enable on the Si570 was getting
                              lost. A bit more head scratching later I decided to reflow the solder on the Si570 before doing anything more drastic, and that solved the problem. I suspect that the Enable had a poor connection and would float away over time. The Si570 is notoriously hard to get soldered right.

                              Eric
                              AC0OP

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4@...> wrote:

                              > I've finished my rxtx build, but i get a weird behavior, see pic in photos area

                              > When i plug all the cables in the RX seems to be working, but then
                              > less then 10 seconds later i loose rx. If i unplug the usb cable the
                              > rxtx goes dead, plug the cable back in and i can get rx back, but then
                              > less then 10 seconds later it goes away. I've been able to repeat
                              > this consistently
                              >
                              > this did not happen during the build, i was able to RX with the rxtx
                              > for minutes at a time without issue.
                              >
                              > i don't see any solder bridges top or bottom, but I'm not really sure
                              > where to start looking.
                              >
                              > all the tests through the TX side of the build were passing, my
                              > R48/R49 mVDC were a little high 60/71 mVDC respectively, not sure if
                              > that's a sign of anything though
                              >
                              > can anyone lend some advice?
                              >
                              > thanks

                            • Michael Di Domenico
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 28, 2011
                                All great suggestions, but no cigar. I used some solderwick and
                                removed all the solder i could from all the pads around the si570,
                                rewound t1, and retouched several of the resistors and capacitors
                                around the si570, but it still faults. I don't see any whisps of
                                solder anywhere else, short of have a bridge underneath the si570.
                                I'm not sure i have the right tools to get it off gently either, I'd
                                probably need to get an embossing gun from the craft store.

                                on the bright side or dark not sure, it does immediately when i plug
                                in the card now instead of waiting 10 secs or so. Is it possible i
                                have a bad SI570 or damaged it during the build somehow?

                                any other suggestions?

                                On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM, visierl <eric@...> wrote:
                                > Michael,
                                >
                                > While this is not necessarily what is causing your problem, I had a similar problem with my 6.3 shortly after I built it.  I determined that the LO was dying on me (I scoped the QSD test points and only saw a signal when the receiver was working).  After scratching my head for a while, I noticed that the Enable on the Si570 was getting
                                > lost.  A bit more head scratching later I decided to reflow the solder on the Si570 before doing anything more drastic, and that solved the problem.  I suspect that the Enable had a poor connection and would float away over time.  The Si570 is notoriously hard to get soldered right.
                                >
                                > Eric
                                > AC0OP
                                >
                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> I've finished my rxtx build, but i get a weird behavior, see pic in photos area

                                >> When i plug all the cables in the RX seems to be working, but then
                                >> less then 10 seconds later i loose rx.  If i unplug the usb cable the
                                >> rxtx goes dead, plug the cable back in and i can get rx back, but then
                                >> less then 10 seconds later it goes away.  I've been able to repeat
                                >> this consistently
                                >>
                                >> this did not happen during the build, i was able to RX with the rxtx
                                >> for minutes at a time without issue.
                                >>
                                >> i don't see any solder bridges top or bottom, but I'm not really sure
                                >> where to start looking.
                                >>
                                >> all the tests through the TX side of the build were passing, my
                                >> R48/R49 mVDC were a little high 60/71 mVDC respectively, not sure if
                                >> that's a sign of anything though
                                >>
                                >> can anyone lend some advice?
                                >>
                                >> thanks

                              • Michael Di Domenico
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 28, 2011
                                  On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Michael Di Domenico
                                  <mdidomenico4@...> wrote:
                                  > All great suggestions, but no cigar.  I used some solderwick and
                                  > removed all the solder i could from all the pads around the si570,
                                  > rewound t1, and retouched several of the resistors and capacitors
                                  > around the si570, but it still faults.  I don't see any whisps of
                                  > solder anywhere else, short of have a bridge underneath the si570.
                                  > I'm not sure i have the right tools to get it off gently either, I'd
                                  > probably need to get an embossing gun from the craft store.
                                  >
                                  > on the bright side or dark not sure, it does immediately when i plug
                                  > in the card now instead of waiting 10 secs or so.  Is it possible i
                                  > have a bad SI570 or damaged it during the build somehow?
                                  >
                                  > any other suggestions?

                                  Just for some more diagnostics, turns out if I jog the tuning dial up
                                  around 1mhz higher then where it should be, i can hear things, however
                                  the frequency is fixed in the 7mhz range somewhere, tuning above or
                                  below this little area seems to trigger the system to go haywire.
                                  tune back and it comes back

                                  measuring qsd/qse ports on the topside, when tuned in the range to
                                  hear the wave forms are a little jumpy but within 5v and ~7mhz, tune
                                  up a bit and the voltages jump up and down between 3-4vp-p and the
                                  frequency jumps to 12mhz

                                  i tried swapping the atmega chip with another rx board (did a reinit
                                  through cfgsr, so the settings matched rxtx), but still same problem.

                                  i can only surmise that there is either an issue with the signals
                                  getting from the atmega to the si570, or i manged to burn out my si570
                                  somehow

                                  all the voltages check out on the tests from the build notes, until it
                                  goes haywire, then the divider voltages start jumping between 2-3vdc

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 28, 2011
                                    From: "Michael

                                    >i tried swapping the atmega chip with another rx board (did a reinit
                                    through cfgsr, so the settings matched rxtx), but still same problem.

                                    What happens without this chip?
                                    It should start on the Si570 default frequency giving RX on about 14.08MHz.
                                    Does it do this? Can you hear it on a RX? Is it stable?
                                    If it is put in the Atmega and check with a RX.
                                    What does CFGSR's Test tab say?
                                    If you have attempted to calibrate the Si570 put it back to factory default
                                    with CFGSR's "Calibrate A"

                                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  • Michael Di Domenico
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 29, 2011
                                      On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:
                                      > What happens without this chip?

                                      Pulled the atmega chip and put a probe on r13, vp-p jumps between
                                      900mv and 1v, frequency jumps all over the place

                                      > It should start on the Si570 default frequency giving RX on about 14.08MHz.
                                      > Does it do this? Can you hear it on a RX? Is it stable?

                                      > If it is put in the Atmega and check with a RX.
                                      > What does CFGSR's Test tab say?

                                      With the atmega plugged, looking at the test tab all the values change
                                      constantly and the PTT goes in and out

                                      > If you have attempted to calibrate the Si570 put it back to factory default
                                      > with CFGSR's "Calibrate A"

                                      I did try to correct the freq offset, but i put the unit back to
                                      defaults using the init tab on cfgsr, my current factory startup
                                      frequence is set for 56.31, hit the calibrate a, but doesnt seem to
                                      change anything

                                      Unless anyone else has any other suggestions to points to probe or
                                      areas to test, i think my only recourse is to pop the si570 off the
                                      board and see if there are any solder bridges. might have to get
                                      another one in either case
                                    • Michael Di Domenico
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 2 12:15 PM
                                        On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Michael Di Domenico
                                        <mdidomenico4@...> wrote:
                                        > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:
                                        >> What happens without this chip?
                                        >
                                        > Pulled the atmega chip and put a probe on r13,  vp-p jumps between
                                        > 900mv and 1v, frequency jumps all over the place
                                        >
                                        >> It should start on the Si570 default frequency giving RX on about 14.08MHz.
                                        >> Does it do this? Can you hear it on a RX? Is it stable?
                                        >
                                        >> If it is put in the Atmega and check with a RX.
                                        >> What does CFGSR's Test tab say?
                                        >
                                        > With the atmega plugged, looking at the test tab all the values change
                                        > constantly and the PTT goes in and out
                                        >
                                        >> If you have attempted to calibrate the Si570 put it back to factory default
                                        >> with CFGSR's "Calibrate A"
                                        >
                                        > I did try to correct the freq offset, but i put the unit back to
                                        > defaults using the init tab on cfgsr, my current factory startup
                                        > frequence is set for 56.31, hit the calibrate a, but doesnt seem to
                                        > change anything
                                        >
                                        > Unless anyone else has any other suggestions to points to probe or
                                        > areas to test, i think my only recourse is to pop the si570 off the
                                        > board and see if there are any solder bridges.  might have to get
                                        > another one in either case

                                        Just fyi, in case anyone else runs across this. it looks like i might
                                        have a bad/or more likely killed my si570 some how. i was able to
                                        remove the si570 from the board (which was surprisingly easy with an
                                        ebossing gun). close inspection of the pads did not reveal any solder
                                        bridges. however, i soldered back on a different si570 from an older
                                        v9.0 that i had lying around. after which the problem went away.
                                        whether its from the heat of the embossing gun on some other object or
                                        that i replaced the si570 altogether i can't be 100% certain, but it
                                        seems to be working now none the less.