Re: [Bulk] [Bulk] Re: [softrock40] Re: Cold joints on gnd connections

  • Ken Chase
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2011
      Hi Allan

      I haven't used my iron for a while but I can't say I've noticed any noise from mine. My problem is keeping the tip clean and tinned. I plan on figuring out what is wrong and if I remember I'll check for noise. I intend to step up to a better soldering station later on when I can afford it.

      73's

      Ken

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2011

        I have one of these, sold over here as the Maplin  N78AR current price 14.99 GBP.  I find that for using the fine pointed tip, I have to keep the temperature up higher than for the chisel or wedge shaped tips or else it's difficult to solder to pads that are connected to the ground plane.  As a result, the flux burns off quicker than when using the other tips, needing frequent cleaning and re-tinning.  Not the Rolls Royce of soldering irons, but at the price I'm happy and it works fine for the SMD devices.

        I have noticed the electrical noise it generates too!

        73 de Graham G3ZOD FISTS #8384
        http://www.fists.co.uk