TX Button in Rocky

  • n0ul
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 1:51 AM
      I'm assembling the Ensemble RXTX and at the testing of the RX Mixer. My problem is with Rocky. I've been using HDSDR with my Ver 9 Softrock so am not that familar with Rocky. The problem is the TX button never goes green in CW or BPSK31 modes. The board is powered up and USB is connected. All the previous phases have passed with flying colors. Couldn't get the TX Button to go green on a previous test so used the manual method to activate the PTT. I must have something configured incorrectly. If someone can tell me what I need to do to get the TX green I would appreciate it greatly.

      Thanks
      Jim N0UL
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 2:06 AM
        Hi Jim,

        Several things need to be set up to get the transmit function running.

        Hardware wise, have you used Fred PE0FKOs configuration utility 'CFGSR' to disable the 'Auto Band Pass Filter' ABPF function? That is needed to reassign the controllers I/O lines for PTT and CW key functions. You do need to unplug and reconnect the USB lead to restart the controller for the change to take effect.

        If you download and use the latest version of CFGSR v2.3, on the 'Test' tab, there is a button to exercise the PTT function.

        In the Rocky set up on the 'Transmit' tab you need to have the 'Transmitter Enabled' box ticked. Also need to have a separate second sound card selected. It will not allow you to use the same card that has been selected for receive or speakers. A simple way of tricking it is to download the demo version of Eugene Muzychenko's VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) program and in Rocky select the TX sound card as one of the VAC channels. That is sufficient to fool it into allowing the TX mode to work.

        The other essential is on the 'DSP'tab to have the 'Use Si570 USB' box ticked.

        Think that is all that is needed.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n0ul" <jmail4me@...> wrote:

        > I'm assembling the Ensemble RXTX and at the testing of the RX Mixer. My problem is with Rocky. I've been using HDSDR with my Ver 9 Softrock so am not that familar with Rocky. The problem is the TX button never goes green in CW or BPSK31 modes. The board is powered up and USB is connected. All the previous phases have passed with flying colors. Couldn't get the TX Button to go green on a previous test so used the manual method to activate the PTT. I must have something configured incorrectly. If someone can tell me what I need to do to get the TX green I would appreciate it greatly.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jim N0UL

      • n0ul
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 5:15 AM
          Bob, thanks for the quick response. Being you are across the pond and
          I'm an early riser it works well for communicating.

          I had done all of what you wrote. There are two things I have noticed
          that may be a problem. First in the CFGSR screen under the SI570 tab
          there is a box labled si570 and it is greyed out and is blank. Second,
          if I try to do a reset with CFGSR it comes back and says the SI570 isn't
          programmed. I did check the pins on the SI570 with a 'scope because I
          didn't like the square wave I was seeing. It had a sine wave
          superimposed on it. Now, granted, this may be the fault of the 'scope,
          it's borrowed and I'm not sure of it's condition.

          I will do all of the steps again just to make sure I have it all right.
          I also removed the dll for the ver 9 softrock from Winrad, HDSDR and
          Rocky. I do have two sound cards and also had tried the VAC to no avail.
          In the meantime maybe you have some other ideas too.

          Jim

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > Several things need to be set up to get the transmit function running.
          >
          > Hardware wise, have you used Fred PE0FKOs configuration utility
          'CFGSR' to disable the 'Auto Band Pass Filter' ABPF function? That is
          needed to reassign the controllers I/O lines for PTT and CW key
          functions. You do need to unplug and reconnect the USB lead to restart
          the controller for the change to take effect.

          > If you download and use the latest version of CFGSR v2.3, on the
          'Test' tab, there is a button to exercise the PTT function.

          > In the Rocky set up on the 'Transmit' tab you need to have the
          'Transmitter Enabled' box ticked. Also need to have a separate second
          sound card selected. It will not allow you to use the same card that has
          been selected for receive or speakers. A simple way of tricking it is to
          download the demo version of Eugene Muzychenko's VAC (Virtual Audio
          Cable) program and in Rocky select the TX sound card as one of the VAC
          channels. That is sufficient to fool it into allowing the TX mode to
          work.

          > The other essential is on the 'DSP'tab to have the 'Use Si570 USB' box
          ticked.

          > Think that is all that is needed.
          >
          > 73, Bob G8VOI
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n0ul" jmail4me@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm assembling the Ensemble RXTX and at the testing of the RX Mixer.
          My problem is with Rocky. I've been using HDSDR with my Ver 9 Softrock
          so am not that familar with Rocky. The problem is the TX button never
          goes green in CW or BPSK31 modes. The board is powered up and USB is
          connected. All the previous phases have passed with flying colors.
          Couldn't get the TX Button to go green on a previous test so used the
          manual method to activate the PTT. I must have something configured
          incorrectly. If someone can tell me what I need to do to get the TX
          green I would appreciate it greatly.

          > > Thanks
          > > Jim N0UL

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 5:44 AM
            Hi Jim,

            I believe that box on the Si570 tab is normally greyed out. I have not had too much free time lately to really play with or try to document all of the new features in the latest version of CFGSR.

            Simple tests to do are check you have the connected message on the opening CFGSR screen and try changing the frequency on the 'Tune' tab. If they are working, shows the USB communication is working ok.

            I often see comments about removing DLLs etc, not to sure where this comes from.

            All of the SoftRock kits using the USB to I2C interface use the same USB driver regardless of which kit, i.e same for the v9.0 RX as it is for the Ensemble RXTX.

            Likewise when using Winrad or any of the offshoots, all use the same external control DLL file 'ExtIO_Si570.dll'.

            Rocky does not use or need any additional DLL files to operate other than those installed with the program itself.

            You should simply unplug your v9.0 RX and connect the Ensemble RXTX and operate any of the SDR programs as before. The beauty of the AVR firmware is that it stores the configuration for the hardare it is fitted to, i.e. ABPF enabled for the v9.0 RX, disabled forthe RXTX to allow PTT and CW key functions. The SDR program does not know or indeed need to know what hardware is connected. Likewise is the AVR Si570 calibration function is used correctly you can simply swap between devices without needing to do anything else.

            I have 11 different USB controlled Si570 devices here and it would be a nightmare using them if you needed to rely on the original v1.4 firmware and had to recalibrate for each!

          • James
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3 9:55 AM
              I got bit by this one too.

              In Rocky there are a row of icons near the top of the window.

              Click on the left most icon to enable the radio in rocky.

              I spent over an hour futzing with this before I noticed the icon.

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n0ul" <jmail4me@...> wrote:

              > I'm assembling the Ensemble RXTX and at the testing of the RX Mixer. My problem is with Rocky. I've been using HDSDR with my Ver 9 Softrock so am not that familar with Rocky. The problem is the TX button never goes green in CW or BPSK31 modes. The board is powered up and USB is connected. All the previous phases have passed with flying colors. Couldn't get the TX Button to go green on a previous test so used the manual method to activate the PTT. I must have something configured incorrectly. If someone can tell me what I need to do to get the TX green I would appreciate it greatly.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Jim N0UL

            • n0ul
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3 10:32 AM
                James, thanks for the advice. When I first got to playing with the ver
                9 softrock it took me awhile to realize that the start radio had to be
                clicked. But, this time it wasn't that. Explanation in response to Bob.

                jim n0ul

                PS: I'm using their "rich text format" to compose this. Check out the
                zero in my callsign. I think I will stick to NOT using the rich text
                option.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "James" <ki7el@...> wrote:

                > I got bit by this one too.
                >
                > In Rocky there are a row of icons near the top of the window.
                >
                > Click on the left most icon to enable the radio in rocky.
                >
                > I spent over an hour futzing with this before I noticed the icon.
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n0ul" jmail4me@ wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm assembling the Ensemble RXTX and at the testing of the RX Mixer.
                My problem is with Rocky. I've been using HDSDR with my Ver 9 Softrock
                so am not that familar with Rocky. The problem is the TX button never
                goes green in CW or BPSK31 modes. The board is powered up and USB is
                connected. All the previous phases have passed with flying colors.
                Couldn't get the TX Button to go green on a previous test so used the
                manual method to activate the PTT. I must have something configured
                incorrectly. If someone can tell me what I need to do to get the TX
                green I would appreciate it greatly.

                > > Thanks
                > > Jim N0UL

              • n0ul
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3 10:39 AM
                  You are correct about the greyed out SI570 box in cfgsr. I have found a solution to my problem. I kind of figured it was configuration of some kind. Your words in regard to the soundcards and VAC got me to try different combinations and the only one that I can get to work is by using VAC for the audio tab and one of the soundcards for the transmit tab. So without VAC I would be a sinking ship. Now I'll have to purchase it.

                  Thanks Bob,
                  Jim N0UL

> [...]
                  > > Cable) program and in Rocky select the TX sound card as one of the VAC
                  > > channels. That is sufficient to fool it into allowing the TX mode to
                  > > work.
                  > > >
                  > > > The other essential is on the 'DSP'tab to have the 'Use Si570 USB' box
                  > > ticked.
                  > > >
                  > > > Think that is all that is needed.
                  > > >
                  > > > 73, Bob G8VOI

                  > > My problem is with Rocky. I've been using HDSDR with my Ver 9 Softrock
                  > > so am not that familar with Rocky. The problem is the TX button never
                  > > goes green in CW or BPSK31 modes. The board is powered up and USB is
                  > > connected. All the previous phases have passed with flying colors.
                  > > Couldn't get the TX Button to go green on a previous test so used the
                  > > manual method to activate the PTT. I must have something configured
                  > > incorrectly. If someone can tell me what I need to do to get the TX

                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3 10:56 AM
                    Hi Jim,

                    The only reason I suggested to try using VAC as one of the sound cards was to enable you to fool Rocky into thinking your PC hardware was capable of running Rocky correctly, it is not a 'real' solution. It is just a trick I do on one of my PCs to allow me to exercise Rocky in TX mode for test purposes when checking the AVR firmware.

                    You still need to have two different sound cards available in order to run Rocky in transmit mode. One solution is to use your best sound card, ideally 24 bit for the RX and TX I/Q processing and use a lower quality sound device, either on the motherboard, or perhaps a USB device for driving the speakers and a mic input for use with PSDR etc.

                    Of course by far the best solution is to use a soundcard like the Delta 44 that provides 2 pairs of line inputs and outputs, particularly when you come to wanting to run all modes for transmission.

                    Hopefully in the next few months Christos SV1EIAs USB2SDR module will become available and will offer a complete USB solution on par with the Delta 44 performance (but at 192kHz sampling), making so many of the sound card issues a thing of the past.

                    I can thoroughly recommend purchasing the full version of VAC if you want to go on to transmit any datamodes with PowerSDR in the future.

                  • James
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3 11:25 AM
                      Shortly after I replied I realized you'd likely already checked that.

                      I'm very new to SDR and am still building my Ensemble RXTX and it's truly been an uphill climb.