Power Amps

  • Bernie Hunt
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 27, 2011

      I’m approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I’m wondering what are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using for PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?

      I’m not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.

      Bernie

      K2YO

    • sv1eia
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 27, 2011
        10W PA http://qrpproject.de/UK/QRPPA2008UK.html
        10W PA http://www.kolumbus.fi/juha.niinikoski/10WLinear
        20W PA http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radiokits/radio-related/20W_PA/
        5W PA http://www.box73.de/catalog/pdf/PLB-15.pdf

        Christos SV1EIA

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Hunt <bernie@...> wrote:

        > I'm approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I'm wondering what
        > are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using for
        > PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?
        >

        > I'm not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.
        >

        > Bernie
        >
        > K2YO

      • skarbows
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 27, 2011
          Take a look at the Pennywhistle amp at TAPR. Works nice with less than 400mW of drive...

          Dave
          kx3dx

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Hunt <bernie@...> wrote:

          > I'm approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I'm wondering what
          > are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using for
          > PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?
          >

          > I'm not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.
          >

          > Bernie
          >
          > K2YO

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 27, 2011
            Hi Bernie,

            Go for a linear design that uses 'proper' RF devices and not switching FETs like the IRF510's.

            There are plenty of designs using those cheap FETs, whilst a lot of people report reasonable results, many also experience problems. In some cases or designs, appears you might need a conveyor belt to keep on supplying replacements :)

            It is worth paying the little bit extra for real RF devices.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@...> wrote:

            > Take a look at the Pennywhistle amp at TAPR. Works nice with less than 400mW of drive...
            >
            > Dave
            > kx3dx
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Hunt <bernie@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I'm wondering what
            > > are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using for
            > > PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?
            > >

            > > I'm not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.
            > >

            > > Bernie
            > >
            > > K2YO

          • Tim Campbell
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 27, 2011
              Bob,

              Do you have some examples of available kits.  I have seen several designs but I haven't run across an actual kit.

              Thanks.

              73, Tim  KB2MFS

              On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM, g8voip <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

              Hi Bernie,

              Go for a linear design that uses 'proper' RF devices and not switching FETs like the IRF510's.

              There are plenty of designs using those cheap FETs, whilst a lot of people report reasonable results, many also experience problems. In some cases or designs, appears you might need a conveyor belt to keep on supplying replacements :)

              It is worth paying the little bit extra for real RF devices.

              73, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@...> wrote:

              > Take a look at the Pennywhistle amp at TAPR. Works nice with less than 400mW of drive...
              >
              > Dave
              > kx3dx
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Hunt <bernie@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I'm wondering what
              > > are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using for
              > > PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?
              > >

              > > I'm not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.
              > >

              > > Bernie
              > >
              > > K2YO__

            • skarbows
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2011
                TAPR site - Pennywhistle amp - kit minus switching. Real RF fets.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tim Campbell <kb2mfs@...> wrote:

                > Bob,
                >
                > Do you have some examples of available kits. I have seen several designs
                > but I haven't run across an actual kit.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > 73, Tim KB2MFS
                >

                > On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM, g8voip <g8voi.reeves59@...>wrote:
                >

                > > Hi Bernie,
                > >
                > > Go for a linear design that uses 'proper' RF devices and not switching FETs
                > > like the IRF510's.
                > >
                > > There are plenty of designs using those cheap FETs, whilst a lot of people
                > > report reasonable results, many also experience problems. In some cases or
                > > designs, appears you might need a conveyor belt to keep on supplying
                > > replacements :)
                > >
                > > It is worth paying the little bit extra for real RF devices.
                > >
                > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                > >

                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Take a look at the Pennywhistle amp at TAPR. Works nice with less than
                > > 400mW of drive...
                > > >
                > > > Dave
                > > > kx3dx

              • Joel Black
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 28, 2011
                  There is a new run starting of the WA2EUJ amps featured in the ARRL Homebrew Challenge.  You can find out more info at:

                  Amp will come as a kit - no enclosure.  Cost is ~$100.  Output is ~50W.

                  73,
                  Joel - W4JBB

                  On 3/27/2011 1:42 PM, Bernie Hunt wrote:

                  I’m approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I’m wondering what are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using for PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?

                  I’m not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.

                  Bernie

                  K2YO

                  No virus found in this message.

                  Joel

                  "Common sense is like deodorant...
                  Those who need it most don't use it."
                  --Unknown
                • John Williams
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 28, 2011
                    And there are some nice features - 5 lpfs for broad band coverage, led's for power/swr readings, cor/ptt mode, RF FETs. According to designer, 1W in will yield around 20W out, depending on band. Depending on mode, drive and heat sink cooling can go higher than 50W.

                    Take a look, revised schematic, gerbers and BOM posted today. Kit is being priced now.

                    John

                    --

                    John Williams
                    WQKA523

                • wb6yte
                  Message 9 of 11 , Mar 30, 2011
                    I have been using one of these since last Dec with an SR RXTX V6.3/MoBo 4.3 with excellent results. It comfortably runs 10 watts output with PSK. With 10 watts I can work almost all stations I can copy. With 5 watts on 15 meters last weekend I made many QSOs into Europe. For pictures and log reports:

                    http://members.cox.net/ehekman/HamRadio/Softrock.htm

                    With digital modes you will be very surprised at the number of contacts that can be made with 1 watt or less. The reaction you get when you tell the other station that you are running 1 watt is quite a thrill.

                    I just bought one of the QRP-PA2008 kits. It is a small fraction of the size of the WA2EUJ PA - but doesn't include the output LPFs - and it does have much more gain so you should be able to get the 10 watts out with much less than 1 watt drive.

                    http://www.qrp-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SESSIONID=0437892540358007&AnbieterID=1

                    Ed
                    WB6YTE

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

                    > And there are some nice features - 5 lpfs for broad band coverage, led's
                    > for power/swr readings, cor/ptt mode, RF FETs. According to designer, 1W
                    > in will yield around 20W out, depending on band. Depending on mode,
                    > drive and heat sink cooling can go higher than 50W.
                    >
                    > Take a look, revised schematic, gerbers and BOM posted today. Kit is
                    > being priced now.
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > On 3/28/2011 4:57 PM, Joel Black wrote:
                    > >
                    > > There is a new run starting of the WA2EUJ amps featured in the ARRL
                    > > Homebrew Challenge. You can find out more info at:

                    > > Amp will come as a kit - no enclosure. Cost is ~$100. Output is ~50W.
                    > >
                    > > 73,
                    > > Joel - W4JBB
                    > >
                    > > On 3/27/2011 1:42 PM, Bernie Hunt wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> I'm approaching completion of the Ensemble TX/RX and I'm wondering
                    > >> what are the options for increasing the TX drive. What are guys using
                    > >> for PSs? Is there a general consensus on a good solution?
                    > >> I'm not looking for legal limit but I would like more than the 1 watt.
                    > >>
                    > >> Bernie
                    > >> K2YO
                  • John Williams
                    Message 10 of 11 , Mar 30, 2011
                      Ed,

                      Have you considered using this PS2008 amp or another design as a RF preamp to the WA2EUJ amp to drive it to a full 50W for SSB? Should only need around 10db of gain to take 500mW to 5W.

                      Your results on PSK31 at 1W are better than mine. I have yet to get a QSO with either PSK31 or JT65-HF at 1W. I get excellent results on WSPR regularly getting spots from Europe and Australia on 20M.

                      John

                      --

                      John Williams
                      WQKA523

                    • wb6yte
                      Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
                        John,

                        My Softrock is driving the amp with the MoBo 4.3 which puts out 2 - 3 watts average on PSK31. It can drive the amp to over 20 watts but I think the IMD suffers a bit at that level. According to other reports, with 5 watts of CW drive the maximum output varies from 38 watts up to 50 watts depending on the band. I have found 10 watts to be sufficient to make contact with almost everyone I can hear. Since the QRP-PA2008 amp has two gain stages, it can easily be driven to 10 watts output with the Softrock.

                        One of the keys for making contacts for me has been to watch for CQs with S/N > +5dB to +10dB. Most digital software reports S/N which will enable you to estimate whether it will be likely for them to hear you. Since PSK31 decodes well down to a little less than -10dB S/N and most people are running at 25 to 50 watts, then when receiving a station that shows S/N >= +10dB, it is likely you will be heard by that station with 1 watt output (14dB below 25 watts) - assuming the noise level is the same at both locations.

                        I do have a bit of an advantage with the QTH on top of a small hill and beam antenna for 20/15/10M at 40 feet. However many of the contacts have been made with a dipole (30/17/12M at 45 feet) or a G5RV (80/40) that slopes down to near the ground at both ends.

                        Operating with 1 watt can be challenging - it does require a bit more patience - but it can also be very satisfying to make QSOs with a homebuilt radio at very low power.