SoftRock and PowerSDR tx mode

  • Onno J.R. Bakker
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2006
      Hi

      SoftRock tx mode ??
      --------------------------

      PowerSDR tx function is only enabled with SDR1000 model.
      it uses 11095 khz as fixed freq. and tuning is done by de dds in the flex
      box.

      In the softrock mode tx is disabled and in rx tuning is possible without a
      dds
      in a window (48-96-192 khz depending on the max samplerate of the audiocard)

      It is simple to build a tx board from a softrock (2 balance linedrivers to
      the QSD and
      feeding I and Q signals to the drivers.)

      Question is now
      Is there a software modification from powerSDR (coming) that
      gives TX I an Q signals from a mike on the audiocard) not on a fixed frq
      (11025) but in a
      tunable 48, 96 or 192 window.

      That gives the possibility to use SoftRock without DDS in tx.

      Or is there an other solution ??

      Onno pa0ono
    • Guido
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
        Good afternoon Onno, All,

        I have modified PowerSDR a bit:

        PowerSDR Beta Release 1.6.3 (Rev 585) has been extended for use with SoftRock40 model. Features include:

        - IQ Sample Correction
        Necessary to correct the left-right sample event when a sound device introduce a delay in one of the channels. This applies for sound chips like PCM290x, WM8775ED5 (as used in Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit internal sound card).

        - IQ Output when transmitting
        The SoftRock40 model can only Receive Only. However, to enable experimentation with a SoftRock40-alike transmitter, now it is possible to generate IQ signals when a PTT/MOX button is pressed. Like in RX, the IQ signals uses a variable IF frequency which is the VFO frequency relative to the "Center Freq".

        - Dual soundcard support
        To enable the use of cheap soundcards, now it is possible to use a specific soundcard dedicated for TX and RX, in combination with another soundcard dedicated for Microphone input and Speaker output.

        Find more of this at http://powersdr-sr40.sourceforge.net

        73, Guido.

        On 7/13/06, Onno J.R. Bakker <onnosr@...> wrote:

        Hi

        SoftRock tx mode ??
        --------------------------

[...]

        Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups.  See the new email design.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Onno J.R. Bakker
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 21, 2006
          Dear Quido

          Thanks for your fast reply and work on the software.

          I have a non populated softrock 7.0 print . I will use that one for tx.

          Two linedrivers like DRV135 to S1A - S4B on the 74FST3253 (or PI5V331).

          As soundcard I use a RME DIGI 96/8 PST (96 khz samplerate).

          I let you know the results.

          Best regards,

          Onno
        • f1fyybis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 21, 2006
            hi,

            I've make a transceiver with two SRV6 modules drived with famous POWER SDR 161.
            I try now with this new version 163.
            Thanks for soft correction to phase unbalance... some AOP dedicated to that application
            on my board blow up for minimum components used.
            73
            Philippe, F1FYY
            www.ondesmagazine.com

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Onno J.R. Bakker" <onnosr@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > SoftRock tx mode ??
            > --------------------------
            >
            > PowerSDR tx function is only enabled with SDR1000 model.
            > it uses 11095 khz as fixed freq. and tuning is done by de dds in the flex
            > box.
            >
            > In the softrock mode tx is disabled and in rx tuning is possible without a
            > dds
            > in a window (48-96-192 khz depending on the max samplerate of the audiocard)
            >
            > It is simple to build a tx board from a softrock (2 balance linedrivers to
            > the QSD and
            > feeding I and Q signals to the drivers.)
            >
            > Question is now
            > Is there a software modification from powerSDR (coming) that
            > gives TX I an Q signals from a mike on the audiocard) not on a fixed frq
            > (11025) but in a
            > tunable 48, 96 or 192 window.
            >
            > That gives the possibility to use SoftRock without DDS in tx.
            >
            > Or is there an other solution ??
            >
            > Onno pa0ono

          • joe price
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 22, 2006
              Guido,
              Thank you for the TX PowerSDR tx mode. I hope to be able to use it
              a Softrock superhet using WA6UFQ'S dds software.

              Joe wa9cgz
            • zs6buj
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2006
                Hello Guido

                My complements on your useful and interesting modifications to
                PowerSDR. I took the liberty of checking out your source code, and
                would like to play around with it myself a bit with your permission.

                I have been experimenting with a multi-band version of the SRv6,
                using the DDS-60 switched via the parallel port and Bob Hillard
                WA6UFQ's neat controller. Now I would like to incorporate band
                switching of the DDS-60 in the PowerSDR application.

                Keep up the great work!
                73
                Eric
                ZS6BUJ

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guido <threeme3@...> wrote:

                > Good afternoon Onno, All,
                >
                > I have modified PowerSDR a bit:
                >
                > PowerSDR Beta Release 1.6.3 (Rev 585) has been extended for use with
                > SoftRock40 model. Features include:
                >
                > - IQ Sample Correction
                > Necessary to correct the left-right sample event when a sound device
                > introduce a delay in one of the channels. This applies for sound
                chips like
                > PCM290x, WM8775ED5 (as used in Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit
                internal
                > sound card).
                >
                > - IQ Output when transmitting
                > The SoftRock40 model can only Receive Only. However, to enable
                > experimentation with a SoftRock40-alike transmitter, now it is
                possible to
                > generate IQ signals when a PTT/MOX button is pressed. Like in RX,
                the IQ
                > signals uses a variable IF frequency which is the VFO frequency
                relative to
                > the "Center Freq".
                >
                > - Dual soundcard support
                > To enable the use of cheap soundcards, now it is possible to use a
                specific
                > soundcard dedicated for TX and RX, in combination with another
                soundcard
                > dedicated for Microphone input and Speaker output.
                >
                > Find more of this at http://powersdr-sr40.sourceforge.net
                >
                > 73, Guido.
                >

                > On 7/13/06, Onno J.R. Bakker <onnosr@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi
                > >
                > > SoftRock tx mode ??
                > > --------------------------
                > >
                > > PowerSDR tx function is only enabled with SDR1000 model.
                > > it uses 11095 khz as fixed freq. and tuning is done by de dds in
                the flex
                > > box.
                > >
                > > In the softrock mode tx is disabled and in rx tuning is possible
                without a
                > > dds
                > > in a window (48-96-192 khz depending on the max samplerate of the
                > > audiocard)
                > >
                > > It is simple to build a tx board from a softrock (2 balance
                linedrivers to
                > > the QSD and
                > > feeding I and Q signals to the drivers.)
                > >
                > > Question is now
                > > Is there a software modification from powerSDR (coming) that
                > > gives TX I an Q signals from a mike on the audiocard) not on a
                fixed frq
                > > (11025) but in a
                > > tunable 48, 96 or 192 window.
                > >
                > > That gives the possibility to use SoftRock without DDS in tx.
                > >
                > > Or is there an other solution ??
                > >
                > > Onno pa0ono
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • joe price
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 29, 2006
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guido <threeme3@...> wrote:

                  > Good afternoon Onno, All,
                  >
                  > I have modified PowerSDR a bit:
                  >
                  > PowerSDR Beta Release 1.6.3 (Rev 585) has been extended for use with
                  > SoftRock40 model. Features include:
                  >
                  > - IQ Sample Correction
                  > Necessary to correct the left-right sample event when a sound device
                  > introduce a delay in one of the channels. This applies for sound
                  chips like
                  > PCM290x, WM8775ED5 (as used in Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit
                  internal
                  > sound card).
                  >
                  > - IQ Output when transmitting
                  > The SoftRock40 model can only Receive Only. However, to enable
                  > experimentation with a SoftRock40-alike transmitter, now it is
                  possible to
                  > generate IQ signals when a PTT/MOX button is pressed. Like in RX,
                  the IQ
                  > signals uses a variable IF frequency which is the VFO frequency
                  relative to
                  > the "Center Freq".
                  >
                  > - Dual soundcard support
                  > To enable the use of cheap soundcards, now it is possible to use a
                  specific
                  > soundcard dedicated for TX and RX, in combination with another
                  soundcard
                  > dedicated for Microphone input and Speaker output.
                  >
                  > Find more of this at http://powersdr-sr40.sourceforge.net
                  >
                  > 73, Guido.

                  I have been successful using Guido's code get operation (i/q in/out
                  along with audio)using two soundcard's with VAC or just one soundcard
                  (SB AUDIGY 7 pci) I perfer the single soundcard approach ( audio
                  delay less) but this requires external switching of the sound card
                  input/output going between tx/rx. I found that PTT had to disabled
                  or the SRD software would stay in tx. When disabled you can click the
                  MOS box on screen and switch between tx and rx ok. Since the SDR
                  software normally communicates via the printer port I looked
                  for changes on it's pins what I found was pin 8/9 switch between
                  gnd and 5v following PTT. I've tried looking for other pins for
                  external controll of PTT I havn't had any luck yet. anyone have any
                  info on external control? The SRD manual taks about something called
                  BIT-BANG using the COM port for contoll but i'm not sure what it
                  takes.
                • joe price
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 29, 2006
                    ---> I have been successful using Guido's code get operation (i/q
                    in/out
                    > along with audio)using two soundcard's with VAC or just one soundcard
                    > (SB AUDIGY 7 pci) I perfer the single soundcard approach ( audio
                    > delay less) but this requires external switching of the sound card
                    > input/output going between tx/rx. I found that PTT had to disabled
                    > or the SRD software would stay in tx. When disabled you can click the
                    > MOS box on screen and switch between tx and rx ok. Since the SDR
                    > software normally communicates via the printer port I looked
                    > for changes on it's pins what I found was pin 8/9 switch between
                    > gnd and 5v following PTT. I've tried looking for other pins for
                    > external controll of PTT I havn't had any luck yet. anyone have any
                    > info on external control? The SRD manual taks about something called
                    > BIT-BANG using the COM port for contoll but i'm not sure what it
                    > takes.

                    I found the answer the parallel port pin 12 needs to be kept at ground
                    to receive open for transmitt.

                    Joe
                  • joe price
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joe price" <joeprice@...> wrote:

                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guido <threeme3@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Good afternoon Onno, All,
                      > >
                      > > I have modified PowerSDR a bit:
                      > >
                      > > PowerSDR Beta Release 1.6.3 (Rev 585) has been extended for use
                      with
                      > > SoftRock40 model. Features include:
                      > >
                      > > - IQ Sample Correction
                      > > Necessary to correct the left-right sample event when a sound
                      device
                      > > introduce a delay in one of the channels. This applies for sound
                      > chips like
                      > > PCM290x, WM8775ED5 (as used in Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit
                      > internal
                      > > sound card).
                      > >
                      > > - IQ Output when transmitting
                      > > The SoftRock40 model can only Receive Only. However, to enable
                      > > experimentation with a SoftRock40-alike transmitter, now it is
                      > possible to
                      > > generate IQ signals when a PTT/MOX button is pressed. Like in RX,
                      > the IQ
                      > > signals uses a variable IF frequency which is the VFO frequency
                      > relative to
                      > > the "Center Freq".
                      > >
                      > > - Dual soundcard support
                      > > To enable the use of cheap soundcards, now it is possible to use
                      > specific
                      > > soundcard dedicated for TX and RX, in combination with another
                      > soundcard
                      > > dedicated for Microphone input and Speaker output.
                      > >
                      > > Find more of this at http://powersdr-sr40.sourceforge.net
                      > >
                      > > 73, Guido.

                      I've been testing Guido's modifyied SDR code and here are my results
                      along with a few comments.

                      When using two soundcards and VAC although it worked, there is a lot
                      of delay (latency) between speaking into the MIC and I/Q output from
                      soundcard. I was curious about this and I Bit the bullet and purchased
                      a Delta 44 card. When using PowerSDR's setup for Delta the latency is
                      much less. But whichever scheme you choose the tx I/Q out works.
                      The tx I/Q frequency is determined by where you drag the receive
                      signal if you have it at cener then the output will be at audio
                      if the signal is draged 15khz off then the tx I/Q signal is at 15khz.
                      This is exactly the same as the receive I/Q works. this only works
                      with voice modulation (ssb ect.) it will not work in the CW mode.
                      because the software (PowerSDR) generates a keyed signal just offset
                      from Zero slightly.
                      The bottom line about this is Guido's current code can only be used
                      in the SSB mode. As it stands transmitt I/Q will follow receive I/Q
                      frequency. When going to CW transmitt the tx I/Q will be near zero
                      and not match the received frequency. In the Flexradio the receive
                      is offset about 11khx to get away from noise at center frequency
                      and the tx is a zero.
                      I'm not sure if the tx I/Q balance will hold over the entire 96khz
                      tuning range this needs to be checked. I would prefer that both
                      tx and rx frequency both be offset at 11khz the would allow I/Q
                      balance to remain fixed at one frequency and by using a superhet
                      based system with WA6UFQ's DDS pc control software to do tuning
                      and any offset.
                      One final note when using the PowerSDR software external control
                      such as PTT and KEYER appear on the printer port so if you where to
                      use both PowerSDR and WA6UFQ's dds program at the same time you will
                      need two printer ports.

                      73 Joe wa9cgz