Compact Spectrum Analyzer published in July 2006 Circuit Cellar

  • S. Cash Olsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hi group,

      This week a Compact Spectrum Analyzer was authored by Neal Martini and
      published in Circuit Cellar July 2006 addition. I've been in touch with Neal
      about the availability of printed circuit boards and while he had made one
      or two for his use he had no intention of having any more built for sale.

      I have made arrangements to get his artwork and to get boards made for sale,
      kits and finished boards will also be available. It's a little early to
      quote a price but the boards will be in the ~$20 range I believe, the kit in
      the <<$300 range and the finished and tested boards in the <$500 range.
      Board availability Mid August. Kits about the same time frame.

      This board uses a TV tuner chip by Maxim and covers the range of 50MHz
      greater than 900MHz. It uses three conversions and has a final IF of 10.7MHz
      and two resolution filters. The firmware offers an on board keyboard and LCD
      display, an analog interface to an oscilloscope and to the PC. Can be
      contolled by the PC with display. This should be a great project for the
      serious RF tinker and some semiprofessional applications.

      Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ

      Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
      Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://users4.ev1.net/%7Ewsprowls/
    • zehelmer@portugalmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
        Hi Cash,

        Pity it's being quite expensive to the usual SR40 adicts IMO :-((

        I remember to have seen a cheap project from a Swedish OM, using a spare TV
        tuner all together... do you know it?

        73 de Jose' - ct1axg

        Citando "S. Cash Olsen" <KD5SSJ@...>:

[...]

        Pare de esbanjar dinheiro!
        Compare o preço da sua ligação à Internet
        http://acesso.portugalmail.pt/maisbarato
      • S. Cash Olsen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
          Message
          Jose,

          I have attempted to build a specturm analyzer on several occations using a TV tuner. There is always a compromise and this system will have some of the same short comings the those attempts had. This is a real nice design and while far from a professional instrument it will have a price tag at least 2 orders of magnitude ( divide by 100 ) below the commercial instrument.

          And I mis-stated the lower frequency response which is actually 10MHz ( not 50MHZ).

          Cash

          ------------ --------- --------- --------- ----

          Yahoo Builders Group http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/spectruman alyzer/

          Pare de esbanjar dinheiro!
          Compare o preço da sua ligação à Internet
          http://acesso. portugalmail. pt/maisbarato

        • Steven Bible
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
            Message
            Cash,

            How does Neal's spectrum analyzer compare to Scotty's S.A. and the W7ZOI S.A.?

            I noticed that the MAX3550 is not available from Digi-Key.  In checking the Maxim website, they appear to be sample-able but not for sale (it has quote and TBD for delivery).

            73,

            - Steve N7HPR

[...]

            \r\n- Steve\r\n  (n7hpr@...)\r\n
          • Bill Dumke
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
              Cash,

              Are there any vector network analyzer kits available that you know of?

              Bill WB5TCO

              S. Cash Olsen wrote:

              > Hi group,
              >
              > This week a Compact Spectrum Analyzer was authored by Neal Martini and
              > published in Circuit Cellar July 2006 addition. I've been in touch
              > with Neal
              > about the availability of printed circuit boards and while he had made one
              > or two for his use he had no intention of having any more built for sale.
              >
              > I have made arrangements to get his artwork and to get boards made for
              > sale,
              > kits and finished boards will also be available. It's a little early to
              > quote a price but the boards will be in the ~$20 range I believe, the
              > kit in
              > the <<$300 range and the finished and tested boards in the <$500 range.
              > Board availability Mid August. Kits about the same time frame.
              >
              > This board uses a TV tuner chip by Maxim and covers the range of 50MHz
              > greater than 900MHz. It uses three conversions and has a final IF of
              > 10.7MHz
              > and two resolution filters. The firmware offers an on board keyboard
              > and LCD
              > display, an analog interface to an oscilloscope and to the PC. Can be
              > contolled by the PC with display. This should be a great project for the
              > serious RF tinker and some semiprofessional applications.
              >
              > Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ
              >
              > Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
              > <http://www.zianet.com/erg>
              > Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://users4.ev1.net/%7Ewsprowls/
              > <http://users4.ev1.net/%7Ewsprowls/>

            • Chris Waldrup
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                Bill,

                10 of us in our  local QRP club built Paul Kiciak 's N2PK VNA.  Those who have completed it really like it.
                I built a filter and measured the parameters with the N2PK analyzer.  Then I took the filter to work and measured it with one of our Agilent 8753ES analyzers in the lab and the readings were within 1.5%.

                Chris

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                  Message
                  Steve and group,

                  The Compact Spectrum Analyzer (CSA) will not seriously compete with Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer (SSA) in most ways, with perhaps a couple of exceptions, price and complexity.

                  The CSA's first IF filter is internal to the chip and can't be changed, it's fixed and will have some image rejection problems. This may be one of the biggist technical drawbacks. The SSA has a four stage coaxial cavity filter which is bigger than this board and has some level of difficulty in building and tuning, but it gets results that can't be matched by the on chip filter.

                  The tuning scheme of the CSA allows frequncy tuning resolution of 7.5KHz and the tuning resolution of the SSA is controlled by a DDS which allows for resolution of <1Hz which is significantly better. With a frequency step of 7.5KHz you won't get very good results on narrow filters, in fact you might possibly scan through a narrow filter and only see part of or none of it's response. The DDS in the SSA costs more that the central chip (MAX3550) in the CSA.

                  Several other comparisons could be made and technically the SSA will probably win hands down over the CSA but when it comes to simplicity and price the CSA is hard to beat.

                  The CSA might be considered an entry level spectrum analyzer, it will be all of the specrum analyzer that many shacks will ever need. It will be more portable and therefore more fieldable. It will be helpful for finding interference, and signals that would be hard to tune on a typical receiver. It will allow alignment of equipment and verification of harmonic suppression and lots of other problems I can't think of at this time.

                  With regard to the comparison to the W7ZOI SA it has much more in common with the SSA, so many of the comparisons would have a similiar outcome. One comment I might make is that the W7ZOI SA is more complex and costly to build than Scotty's SA.

                  I appreciate your questions, they give us a chance to make some generalizations about each alternative.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                    Message
                    Bill,

                    At this time there are no extensions for the Compact Spectrum Analyzer (CSA) but Scotty's (SSA) has details for a network analyzer extension to the SSA, and then there are N2PK and IW3HEV which should be checked out.

                    There are some other projects that I am aware of that are not quite ready for publication.

                  • brainerd@wildblue.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                      How about combing the CSA with the Softrock 7.0? Use the softrock for the fine
                      tuning and as the detector and display for the analyzer. While it won't solve the
                      image rejection problem, it will give fine steps and very good display resolution and
                      range.

                      Dave - WB6DHW

                      On 8 Jul 2006 at 9:19, S. Cash Olsen wrote:

                      > Steve and group,
                      >
                      > The Compact Spectrum Analyzer (CSA) will not seriously compete with Scotty's Spectrum
                      > Analyzer (SSA) in most ways, with perhaps a couple of exceptions, price and complexity.
                      >
                      > The CSA's first IF filter is internal to the chip and can't be changed, it's fixed and will have some
                      > image rejection problems. This may be one of the biggist technical drawbacks. The SSA has a
                      > four stage coaxial cavity filter which is bigger than this board and has some level of difficulty in
                      > building and tuning, but it gets results that can't be matched by the on chip filter.
                      >
                      > The tuning scheme of the CSA allows frequncy tuning resolution of 7.5KHz and the
                      > tuningresolution of the SSAis controlled by aDDS which allows for resolution of <1Hz which is
                      > significantly better. With a frequency step of 7.5KHz you won't get very good results on narrow
                      > filters, in fact you might possibly scan through a narrow filter and only see part of or none of it's
                      > response. The DDS in the SSA costs more that the central chip (MAX3550) in the CSA.
                      >
                      > Several other comparisons could be made and technically the SSA will probably win hands down
                      > over the CSA but when it comes tosimplicity and price the CSA ishard to beat.
                      >
                      > The CSA might be considered an entry level spectrum analyzer,itwill be all of the specrum
                      > analyzer that many shacks will ever need. It will be more portable and therefore more fieldable. It
                      > will be helpful for finding interference, and signals that would be hard to tune on a typical receiver.
                      > It will allow alignment of equipment and verification of harmonic suppression and lots of other
                      > problems I can't think of at this time.
                      >
                      > With regard to the comparison to the W7ZOI SA it has much more in common with the SSA, so
                      > many of the comparisons would have a similiar outcome. One comment I might make is that the
                      > W7ZOI SA is more complex and costly to build than Scotty's SA.
                      >
                      > I appreciate your questions, they give us a chance to make some generalizations about each
                      > alternative.
                      >
                      > Cash
                      > Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ

                    • S. Cash Olsen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                        Message
                        Dave,

                        Your a mind reader. I have been following this group for quite awhile keeping track of what's available for that exact reason. You may even recall my suggesting that the DDS was perhaps the wrong thing to try driving the Softrock with because it is not necessary to have fine tuning steps to be able to listen to the whole band. Instead the software needs to be aware of the tuning steps and then shift the spectrum smoothly and seemlessly with 2.5, 5 or 10KHz steps. This would prove to be a much cleaner frequency synthesizer than a DDS.

                        At the price of a Softrock and the sound card money would be saved over having a narrow filter and some sort of log detector. The software can then provide programmable filter widths instead of  multiple hardware filters.

                        Let's stay in touch, were on the same page. This is very much in the vain of those who are using the Softrock for their IF in the transverter / weak signal work.