Re: Quisk audio question

  • n4fbz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      Is there anything that is easier to figure out?

      The last time, I found clear language instructions (step by step at that) how to lock down the audio cards. If I could find the site/blog entry, I would use that.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 +0000, n4fbz wrote:
      > > I've been inactive for a couple of months, and while I had located the
      > > answer to this question before, I forgot the link and my "google-fu"
      > > is pretty much worthless. I spent the last few hours reading and no
      > > luck. (I was going to change it back then, but life intervened.)
      > >
      > > I need to find out how to set up my sound cards in alsa-base.conf so
      > > they will stop switching addresses every time I boot up. Nearly every
      > > time I want to fire up my softrock, I have to edit the Quisk
      > > configuration file to get it to work, and that is frustrating.
      >
      > This pertains more to MIDI but the principle of locking down the USB
      > cards is the same:
      >
      > http://www.gjcp.net/blog/2010/oct/07/sorting-out-sound/
      >
      > Other than that, check the ALSA docs:
      > http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
      >

      > > P.S. A second question - I've got Quisk working, but no audio out of
      > > the speakers. It was working fine until I changed bands (to 10m) and
      > > clicked on some activity, and the audio died while the spectrum
      > > display kept active. I've checked the audio control and nothing had
      > > changed. Any ideas as to what could have caused this?
      >
      > Does the sound come back when you restart Quisk? The filter in Quisk
      > can behave a bit oddly when you make sudden changes to its parameters or
      > interrupt its inputs, and this can throw off the audio handling stuff.
      > It's one of the things that prompted me to write lysdr - now I have a
      > whole new set of problems, all of my own ;-)
      >
      > Gordon MM0YEQ

    • Michael Di Domenico
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        What distribution of linux are you using? Your google-fu may have
        failed because you're looking for alsa specific commands to lock the
        cards, but you might really need commands for locking specific devices
        to certain device entries in /dev

        On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM, n4fbz <n4fbz@...> wrote:
        > Is there anything that is easier to figure out?
        >
        > The last time, I found clear language instructions (step by step at that) how to lock down the audio cards.  If I could find the site/blog entry, I would use that.
        >

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 +0000, n4fbz wrote:
        >> > I've been inactive for a couple of months, and while I had located the
        >> > answer to this question before, I forgot the link and my "google-fu"
        >> > is pretty much worthless.  I spent the last few hours reading and no
        >> > luck.  (I was going to change it back then, but life intervened.)
        >> >
        >> > I need to find out how to set up my sound cards in alsa-base.conf so
        >> > they will stop switching addresses every time I boot up.  Nearly every
        >> > time I want to fire up my softrock, I have to edit the Quisk
        >> > configuration file to get it to work, and that is frustrating.
        >>
        >> This pertains more to MIDI but the principle of locking down the USB
        >> cards is the same:
        >>
        >> http://www.gjcp.net/blog/2010/oct/07/sorting-out-sound/
        >>
        >> Other than that, check the ALSA docs:
        >> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
        >>

        >> > P.S.  A second question - I've got Quisk working, but no audio out of
        >> > the speakers.  It was working fine until I changed bands (to 10m) and
        >> > clicked on some activity, and the audio died while the spectrum
        >> > display kept active. I've checked the audio control and nothing had
        >> > changed.  Any ideas as to what could have caused this?
        >>
        >> Does the sound come back when you restart Quisk?  The filter in Quisk
        >> can behave a bit oddly when you make sudden changes to its parameters or
        >> interrupt its inputs, and this can throw off the audio handling stuff.
        >> It's one of the things that prompted me to write lysdr - now I have a
        >> whole new set of problems, all of my own ;-)
        >>
        >> Gordon MM0YEQ

      • n4fbz
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
          Ubuntu 10.04lts. That might be the case.

          In case it is helpful, here is the output of aplay -l:

          card 0: Audigy2 [SB Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]], device 4: p16v [p16v]

          Subdevices: 1/1

          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

          card 1: MP3 [Sound Blaster MP3+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

          Subdevices: 1/1

          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

          card 2: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]

          Subdevices: 1/1

          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

          If I can lock the audigy 2 and the STAC92XX, the USB audio should take care of itself.

          (THe answer to this minor-but-aggravating problem might be helpful to someone else...)