Quisk audio question

  • n4fbz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      I've been inactive for a couple of months, and while I had located the answer to this question before, I forgot the link and my "google-fu" is pretty much worthless. I spent the last few hours reading and no luck. (I was going to change it back then, but life intervened.)

      I need to find out how to set up my sound cards in alsa-base.conf so they will stop switching addresses every time I boot up. Nearly every time I want to fire up my softrock, I have to edit the Quisk configuration file to get it to work, and that is frustrating.

      I have three sound cards (actually 4, two built-in with one not used) and it seems nearly every time I boot up they change values according to aplay-l. They are an Audigy 2, SB USB MP3 sound card, and the intel built-in unit on my motherboard (STAC92xx Analog). All work well, and the audigy and motherboard audio combination works well for Quisk (the USB card is for my Alinco, so I can run JT65-hf).

      I found something about dual cards on the ALSA website, but it didn't work. I think I'd encountered that before and it didn't lock the sound card number when I tried it.

      I'd appreciate the help/tip!

      Bob

      P.S. A second question - I've got Quisk working, but no audio out of the speakers. It was working fine until I changed bands (to 10m) and clicked on some activity, and the audio died while the spectrum display kept active. I've checked the audio control and nothing had changed. Any ideas as to what could have caused this?
    • Gordon JC Pearce
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 +0000, n4fbz wrote:
        > I've been inactive for a couple of months, and while I had located the
        > answer to this question before, I forgot the link and my "google-fu"
        > is pretty much worthless. I spent the last few hours reading and no
        > luck. (I was going to change it back then, but life intervened.)
        >
        > I need to find out how to set up my sound cards in alsa-base.conf so
        > they will stop switching addresses every time I boot up. Nearly every
        > time I want to fire up my softrock, I have to edit the Quisk
        > configuration file to get it to work, and that is frustrating.

        This pertains more to MIDI but the principle of locking down the USB
        cards is the same:

        http://www.gjcp.net/blog/2010/oct/07/sorting-out-sound/

        Other than that, check the ALSA docs:
        http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards

        > P.S. A second question - I've got Quisk working, but no audio out of
        > the speakers. It was working fine until I changed bands (to 10m) and
        > clicked on some activity, and the audio died while the spectrum
        > display kept active. I've checked the audio control and nothing had
        > changed. Any ideas as to what could have caused this?

        Does the sound come back when you restart Quisk? The filter in Quisk
        can behave a bit oddly when you make sudden changes to its parameters or
        interrupt its inputs, and this can throw off the audio handling stuff.
        It's one of the things that prompted me to write lysdr - now I have a
        whole new set of problems, all of my own ;-)

        Gordon MM0YEQ
      • n4fbz
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
          Is there anything that is easier to figure out?

          The last time, I found clear language instructions (step by step at that) how to lock down the audio cards. If I could find the site/blog entry, I would use that.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 +0000, n4fbz wrote:
          > > I've been inactive for a couple of months, and while I had located the
          > > answer to this question before, I forgot the link and my "google-fu"
          > > is pretty much worthless. I spent the last few hours reading and no
          > > luck. (I was going to change it back then, but life intervened.)
          > >
          > > I need to find out how to set up my sound cards in alsa-base.conf so
          > > they will stop switching addresses every time I boot up. Nearly every
          > > time I want to fire up my softrock, I have to edit the Quisk
          > > configuration file to get it to work, and that is frustrating.
          >
          > This pertains more to MIDI but the principle of locking down the USB
          > cards is the same:
          >
          > http://www.gjcp.net/blog/2010/oct/07/sorting-out-sound/
          >
          > Other than that, check the ALSA docs:
          > http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
          >

          > > P.S. A second question - I've got Quisk working, but no audio out of
          > > the speakers. It was working fine until I changed bands (to 10m) and
          > > clicked on some activity, and the audio died while the spectrum
          > > display kept active. I've checked the audio control and nothing had
          > > changed. Any ideas as to what could have caused this?
          >
          > Does the sound come back when you restart Quisk? The filter in Quisk
          > can behave a bit oddly when you make sudden changes to its parameters or
          > interrupt its inputs, and this can throw off the audio handling stuff.
          > It's one of the things that prompted me to write lysdr - now I have a
          > whole new set of problems, all of my own ;-)
          >
          > Gordon MM0YEQ

        • Michael Di Domenico
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
            What distribution of linux are you using? Your google-fu may have
            failed because you're looking for alsa specific commands to lock the
            cards, but you might really need commands for locking specific devices
            to certain device entries in /dev

            On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM, n4fbz <n4fbz@...> wrote:
            > Is there anything that is easier to figure out?
            >
            > The last time, I found clear language instructions (step by step at that) how to lock down the audio cards.  If I could find the site/blog entry, I would use that.
            >

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:55 +0000, n4fbz wrote:
            >> > I've been inactive for a couple of months, and while I had located the
            >> > answer to this question before, I forgot the link and my "google-fu"
            >> > is pretty much worthless.  I spent the last few hours reading and no
            >> > luck.  (I was going to change it back then, but life intervened.)
            >> >
            >> > I need to find out how to set up my sound cards in alsa-base.conf so
            >> > they will stop switching addresses every time I boot up.  Nearly every
            >> > time I want to fire up my softrock, I have to edit the Quisk
            >> > configuration file to get it to work, and that is frustrating.
            >>
            >> This pertains more to MIDI but the principle of locking down the USB
            >> cards is the same:
            >>
            >> http://www.gjcp.net/blog/2010/oct/07/sorting-out-sound/
            >>
            >> Other than that, check the ALSA docs:
            >> http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
            >>

            >> > P.S.  A second question - I've got Quisk working, but no audio out of
            >> > the speakers.  It was working fine until I changed bands (to 10m) and
            >> > clicked on some activity, and the audio died while the spectrum
            >> > display kept active. I've checked the audio control and nothing had
            >> > changed.  Any ideas as to what could have caused this?
            >>
            >> Does the sound come back when you restart Quisk?  The filter in Quisk
            >> can behave a bit oddly when you make sudden changes to its parameters or
            >> interrupt its inputs, and this can throw off the audio handling stuff.
            >> It's one of the things that prompted me to write lysdr - now I have a
            >> whole new set of problems, all of my own ;-)
            >>
            >> Gordon MM0YEQ

          • n4fbz
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
              Ubuntu 10.04lts. That might be the case.

              In case it is helpful, here is the output of aplay -l:

              card 0: Audigy2 [SB Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]], device 4: p16v [p16v]

              Subdevices: 1/1

              Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

              card 1: MP3 [Sound Blaster MP3+], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

              Subdevices: 1/1

              Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

              card 2: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]

              Subdevices: 1/1

              Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

              If I can lock the audigy 2 and the STAC92XX, the USB audio should take care of itself.

              (THe answer to this minor-but-aggravating problem might be helpful to someone else...)