Re: [softrock40] softrock liteV 6.2 spike at 7.056 @ 58dB level

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      From: "Joe Holstein, n8ea"
      Subject: [softrock40] softrock liteV 6.2 spike at 7.056 @ 58dB level

      > Recently completed building the 40M version and it plays OK except in two
      > respects. It has a 58dB spike in the spectrum display at the crystal (1/4)
      > frequency of 7.056MHz and the sound is scratchy. Any suggestions on what I
      > should check. I assume the scratchy audio may just come with the sound
      > card in my older computer ? Could the big spike be due to incorrect wiring
      > of the RF transformer ? Or ?

      The spike can be considered normal with some soundcards.
      The audio? What is the computer, too slow or too busy can do this.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi Joe,

        Many people assume that the spike they see at the centre frequency is the LO iteslf.

        If you stop and think about it, as this is a direct conversion receiver, so the LO frequency itself would be 0Hz, i.e. DC! The outputs from the SoftRock are AC coupled, plus the sound card would not respond to DC.

        What you see is an artifact of the A/D conversion at exactly the centre point, and any hum or noise each side of it.

        Generally the better quality sound cards have a far smaller (or even no) spike at the centre point.

        If you use PowerSDR, that shifts the LO on receive by a fixed amount to work with a 'pseudo' IF, usually 9kHz, in order to move the point you are listening to away from and spike or hum around the centre frequency.

        As Alan said, the poor audio is often the CPU running out of processing power. If you are running at 96kHz sampling, try droppin to 48kHz to see if that improves. Other problems might be the sound card driver you are using.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Holstein, n8ea" <n8ea@...> wrote:

        > Recently completed building the 40M version and it plays OK except in two respects. It has a 58dB spike in the spectrum display at the crystal (1/4) frequency of 7.056MHz and the sound is scratchy. Any suggestions on what I should check. I assume the scratchy audio may just come with the sound card in my older computer ? Could the big spike be due to incorrect wiring of the RF transformer ? Or ? Otherwise I am amazed at the performance. (I am using Rocky).
        > 73 joe n8ea

      • Gordon JC Pearce
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
          On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 19:56 +0000, g8voip wrote:

          > What you see is an artifact of the A/D conversion at exactly the
          > centre point, and any hum or noise each side of it.
          >
          > Generally the better quality sound cards have a far smaller (or even
          > no) spike at the centre point.

          On my el-cheapo onboard Intel, it's a DC offset. It's unsightly but
          doesn't really do any great harm.

          Gordon MM0YEQ
        • Wm Bush
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2011

            Hey,

            How is the international traveling?  Where in the world are you?

            Nice MI week here.  cloudy drizzly and cool.  You should hurry back.

            Have not had a chance to get over to your place for the tower sections.  I want them.  When you get back I will bring over the trailer and pick them up and any firewood that you have left.

            K D 8 J X J,  K D 8 J X J

          • DUANE BAADE
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2012
              wow this is pretty crazy you should look into it http://www.inews15wa.net/biz/?news=0734922