[softrock40] QSD coil windings question

  • Sylvain AZARIAN
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      One question about the QSD input winding... or something I do not understand...

      - By winding the secondary with bifilar turns and connecting one of the ends as the midpoint, the two remaining ends have in-phase signals.
      - By winding the secondary as two coils connected in series, and using this connection as a midpoint, the two remaining ends have out-of-phase signals...(180 degrees)

      I've done the second way for my Softrocks and they work... but I still wonder what is correct !
      any information on this ?

      thanks !
      Sylvain - F4GKR
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi Sivan,

        The correct way to wind the secondary is using bifilar, i.e two wires twisted together, the end of one wire connects to the beginning of the other to form the centre tap of the transformer.

        You have been winding them correctly.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Sylvain AZARIAN <sylvain.azarian@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > One question about the QSD input winding... or something I do not
        > understand...
        >
        > - By winding the secondary with bifilar turns and connecting one of the ends
        > as the midpoint, the two remaining ends have in-phase signals.
        > - By winding the secondary as two coils connected in series, and using this
        > connection as a midpoint, the two remaining ends have out-of-phase
        > signals...(180 degrees)
        >
        > I've done the second way for my Softrocks and they work... but I still
        > wonder what is correct !
        > any information on this ?
        >
        > thanks !
        > Sylvain - F4GKR