Re: [softrock40] SDR KIT

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2011
      From: "mg_lawrence"
      Subject: [softrock40] SDR KIT

      > What is the availability of SDR kit. Is it possible to give one kit to me,
      > anyone, please.
      >
      > 73s

      Lawrence

      <http://www.kb9yig.com/> is where to look VERY often! They sell quickly.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • N3IZN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011

        I'm sure this has been brought up a number of times, but here it goes again. All my shack PCs have been old, outdated machines that some one didn't want anymore. All P4's well under 3 Ghz. I have one for WSPR, One for SDR and one for test equipment and one for general stuff. I tried running SDR and WSPR on one machine and it couldn't handle it.

        I'm thinking about ordering one of those roll your own desk tops. Where you can pick MB, processors, ram and so on. So what have you guys been running and getting away with? Any one running WSPR and 2 SDR on one machine?

        I guess I should mention I would use a Delta 44 or 1010 sound card. OS would be XP.

        One last thing, I was comparing a SDR next to a conventional radio. There was a significant delay. Would a faster processor reduce that delay?

        Thanks

      • Mark Phillips
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
          Why bother?

          Looked at Geeks.com lately. the deal of the day is a Dell 2.8GHz P4 with
          1GB of RAM and an 80GB HDD for $99 with WinXP Pro.

          They have other machines too. Try this link
          http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1076

          Mark

          --

          /\/\ark Phillips
        • Ethan Miller K8GU
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
            I agree with this sentiment. If you want high-end power, you can come
            out ahead building. But, there are so many close-out/refurbished
            systems on the secondary market that are really good and
            reasonably-priced that you can't build a lower-end machine for what
            you can buy a working refurb.

            I bought a Dell 3.0-GHz Pentium D with 1 GB of RAM and 80 GB drive for
            about the same price from a local refurbisher a few weeks ago. They
            also had a very good deal on wide flat panels---I bought one of them,
            too, because I'm still using 19-inch Trinitron CRTs in my shack. All
            seem to be reasonably RF-quiet and run SDR in both Linux and Windows
            XP just great.

            73,

            --Ethan, K8GU/3.

            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:
            > Why bother?
            >
            > Looked at Geeks.com lately. the deal of the day is a Dell 2.8GHz P4 with
            > 1GB of RAM and an 80GB HDD for $99 with WinXP Pro.
            >
            > They have other machines too. Try this link
            > http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1076
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > On 03/03/2011 09:51 AM, N3IZN@... wrote:
            >>

            >> I'm sure this has been brought up a number of times, but here it goes
            >> again. All my shack PCs have been old, outdated machines that some one
            >> didn't want anymore. All P4's well under 3 Ghz. I have one for WSPR, One
            >> for SDR and one for test equipment and one for general stuff. I tried
            >> running SDR and WSPR on one machine and it couldn't handle it.
            >>
            >> I'm thinking about ordering one of those roll your own desk tops. Where
            >> you can pick MB, processors, ram and so on. So what have you guys been
            >> running and getting away with? Any one running WSPR and 2 SDR on one
            >> machine?
            >>
            >> I guess I should mention I would use a Delta 44 or 1010 sound card. OS
            >> would be XP.
            >>
            >> One last thing, I was comparing a SDR next to a conventional radio.
            >> There was a significant delay. Would a faster processor reduce that delay?
            >>
            >> Thanks
            >>

            > --
            >

            > /\/\ark Phillips

            http://www.k8gu.com/
            Repair.  Re-use.  Re-purpose.  Recycle.
          • James Hall
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
              Incidentally, Tigerdirect has been running deals on quad core "barebones" kits lately. I don't think one is going on right now, but this is what to expect when they do the sale again.

              MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 Motherboard
              AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor
              Corsair 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
              Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive
              Lite-On Internal 24X DVD Writer
              Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
              Ultra U12-40603 X-Wind 90mm CPU Cooler

              $204.99 - $5 rebate
              Normally $299.99

              Back in the day barebones meant just that. Probably a case, psu, motherboard and cpu. Nowadays it seems like it means everything you need, just not assembled.

              James
              N9XLC

              On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Ethan Miller K8GU <ethan@...> wrote:

              I agree with this sentiment. If you want high-end power, you can come
              out ahead building. But, there are so many close-out/refurbished
              systems on the secondary market that are really good and
              reasonably-priced that you can't build a lower-end machine for what
              you can buy a working refurb.

              I bought a Dell 3.0-GHz Pentium D with 1 GB of RAM and 80 GB drive for
              about the same price from a local refurbisher a few weeks ago. They
              also had a very good deal on wide flat panels---I bought one of them,
              too, because I'm still using 19-inch Trinitron CRTs in my shack. All
              seem to be reasonably RF-quiet and run SDR in both Linux and Windows
              XP just great.

              73,

              --Ethan, K8GU/3.

              On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:
              > Why bother?
              >
              > Looked at Geeks.com lately. the deal of the day is a Dell 2.8GHz P4 with
              > 1GB of RAM and an 80GB HDD for $99 with WinXP Pro.
              >
              > They have other machines too. Try this link
              > http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1076
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > On 03/03/2011 09:51 AM, N3IZN@... wrote:
              >>

              >> I'm sure this has been brought up a number of times, but here it goes
              >> again. All my shack PCs have been old, outdated machines that some one
              >> didn't want anymore. All P4's well under 3 Ghz. I have one for WSPR, One
              >> for SDR and one for test equipment and one for general stuff. I tried
              >> running SDR and WSPR on one machine and it couldn't handle it.
              >>
              >> I'm thinking about ordering one of those roll your own desk tops. Where
              >> you can pick MB, processors, ram and so on. So what have you guys been
              >> running and getting away with? Any one running WSPR and 2 SDR on one
              >> machine?
              >>
              >> I guess I should mention I would use a Delta 44 or 1010 sound card. OS
              >> would be XP.
              >>
              >> One last thing, I was comparing a SDR next to a conventional radio.
              >> There was a significant delay. Would a faster processor reduce that delay?
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >>

              > --
              >

              > /\/\ark Phillips

              http://www.k8gu.com/
              Repair.  Re-use.  Re-purpose.  Recycle.

            • Brian Lloyd
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
                On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:51 AM, <N3IZN@...> wrote:

                I'm thinking about ordering one of those roll your own desk tops. Where you can pick MB, processors, ram and so on. So what have you guys been running and getting away with? Any one running WSPR and 2 SDR on one machine?

                I occasionally run my softrock boards but now mostly run Flex radios. I recently took an older machine and just upgraded the motherboard instead of purchasing an entire system. If the case, fans, power supply, and disk drives are OK then there is no need to purchase all that hardware new again. Just upgrade the motherboard to get a new machine.

                I purchased an Asus M4A77D motherboard with an AMD Phenom II x2 550 processor and 4GB of RAM. The entire combination was $270 shipped from NewEgg.com.

                As a bonus, the mobo is able to enable any extra cores in the CPU. Turns out my x2 was really an x4 so I ended up with a 4-core machine for $270.

                Experience shows that the AMD processors and motherboard more consistently show lower DPC values than equivalent Intel processors when running Windows.

                I guess I should mention I would use a Delta 44 or 1010 sound card. OS would be XP.

                One last thing, I was comparing a SDR next to a conventional radio. There was a significant delay. Would a faster processor reduce that delay?

                No, not really. Latency is primarily determined by the sample rate and sample buffer size. You end up with a trade-off between filter performance and latency (delay). Better filters mean more delay.

                --
                Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                3191 Western Dr.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011

                  Subject: [softrock40] PC processor

                  >I'm thinking about ordering one of those roll your own desk tops. Where you
                  >can pick MB, processors, ram and so on. So what have you guys been running
                  >and getting away with? Any one running WSPR and 2 SDR on one machine?
                  >I guess I should mention I would use a Delta 44 or 1010 sound card. OS
                  >would be XP.

                  As this is for a radio computer I'd look for one of the rare motherboards
                  with LPT and COM ports built in. These are not obso;ete, are even present in
                  some the mini ATX Atoms.
                  The LPT may be used with PSDR, and for various other uses, on-board COM
                  ports seem best.
                  Or, maybe you'll never want them..

                  I use a 2.9 MHz AMD dual core. It will run several instances of WSPR, PSDR,
                  5 instances of SpecLab (Low sample rate SDR), Internet, Email and all the
                  rest. I'm not going to say it does not occasionally complain but often runs
                  for weeks.
                  So, go for a 4 core, I would not expect that to give any problems. I have
                  AMD but if you think Simon's SDRConsole will be important to you then
                  consider Intel as he uses Intel routines..

                  I use XP, I looked at Windows 7, it looks good but at the moment I use a
                  few programs that probably will not work on it.

                  A Delta 1010 seems a good choice. I'm not sure how PSDR looks at it. I find
                  with 3 Delta 44s that I cannot use one as a supported card in PSDR because
                  it wants to take over everything. This could be considered a disadvantage
                  with trying to do a lot on one computer.

                  >One last thing, I was comparing a SDR next to a conventional radio. There
                  >was a significant delay. Would a faster processor reduce that delay?

                  Yes, I think so. But the more you have running will slow it down again. I've
                  just seen Brian's comment, there are things it will not speed up.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Gordon JC Pearce
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
                    On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 09:51 -0500, N3IZN@... wrote:

                    > I'm sure this has been brought up a number of times, but here it goes
                    > again. All my shack PCs have been old, outdated machines that some one
                    > didn't want anymore. All P4's well under 3 Ghz. I have one for WSPR,
                    > One for SDR and one for test equipment and one for general stuff. I
                    > tried running SDR and WSPR on one machine and it couldn't handle it.

                    I know you said you're using XP, but on Linux I'm using a Pentium-M 1400
                    for one of my main dev machines for lysdr. At 1024 samples per period
                    it struggles to do 500-tap FIR filtering, but 250 is perfectly adequate
                    anyway.

                    I haven't really managed to get WSPR to even run, on any platform,
                    although I did get some interesting errors in Linux. I couldn't even
                    install it in Windows; I downloaded an "EXE" file but then couldn't
                    extract it.

                    Gordon MM0YEQ
                  • Peter Johnson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
                      Hi Gordon.

                      I used this site to get wspr running expect already know of it.

                      http://george-smart.co.uk/wiki/Compiling_WSPR

                      Regards Peter F1VKK

                      On 03/03/2011 19:49, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
                      > On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 09:51 -0500, N3IZN@... wrote:
                      >>

                      >> I'm sure this has been brought up a number of times, but here it goes
                      >> again. All my shack PCs have been old, outdated machines that some one
                      >> didn't want anymore. All P4's well under 3 Ghz. I have one for WSPR,
                      >> One for SDR and one for test equipment and one for general stuff. I
                      >> tried running SDR and WSPR on one machine and it couldn't handle it.
                      > I know you said you're using XP, but on Linux I'm using a Pentium-M 1400
                      > for one of my main dev machines for lysdr. At 1024 samples per period
                      > it struggles to do 500-tap FIR filtering, but 250 is perfectly adequate
                      > anyway.
                      >
                      > I haven't really managed to get WSPR to even run, on any platform,
                      > although I did get some interesting errors in Linux. I couldn't even
                      > install it in Windows; I downloaded an "EXE" file but then couldn't
                      > extract it.
                      >
                      > Gordon MM0YEQ

                    • Mark Phillips
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2011
                        I was not aware of this one. Thanks!! WSPR running at NI2O in NNJ

                        Mark

                        --

                        /\/\ark Phillips
                      • Marciniak, Ed
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 4, 2011
                          One thing you should consider if you are thinking about purchasing a used machine is whether it uses regular electrolytic capacitors or the solid polymer ones. The regular ones in quite a few 2.8ghz and faster pcs seem to be starting to bulge (dell gx270,gx260,gx280 for example). Your cpu fan and power supply may also be approaching eol.

                          The idle power consumption might be double what you can achieve with care in a new build. With that said, my old Q6600 system runs 12-16% cpu with xp and powersdr 2.0 with all of the filters enabled at 192khz and I can crank the buffer sizes way down. Its probably no worse than an older 3ghz in power use but not ideal in terms of power consumption.

                          If a used, economical core 2 duo E7600 system were to show up on a motherboard that would allow underclocking and undervolting I'd be delighted as it would be a better match to what is required.

                          Maybe the next generation dual core atom desktop board will get me enough speed but right now I suspect they're just not quite fast enough.
                        • Mark Phillips
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 4, 2011
                            Got this in the Geeks email flier this morning;

                            http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=TS-0005QC-AMDL512-R&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-daily_html-_-04mar11_PET7402AR-_-PET7402ARProduct&utm_source=geekmail&utm_medium=daily_html&utm_content=PET7402AR_Product&utm_campaign=PET7402AR

                            I have no interest in this company other than to say that I'm a very
                            satisfied repeat customer.

                            Mark

                            On 03/03/2011 10:13 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
                            > Why bother?
                            >
                            > Looked at Geeks.com lately. the deal of the day is a Dell 2.8GHz P4 with
                            > 1GB of RAM and an 80GB HDD for $99 with WinXP Pro.
                            >
                            > They have other machines too. Try this link
                            > http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1076
                            >
                            > Mark
                            >
                            > On 03/03/2011 09:51 AM, N3IZN@... wrote:

                            --

                            /\/\ark Phillips
                          • Chris
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 7, 2011
                              Just say NO to TigerDirect's bundles.

                              I just ordered a socket AM3 bundle with a Biostar mainboard.  The board ships with a BIOS revision that is too old to recognize AM3 sockets even though it shows compatibility in the specs.

                              In order to flash the BIOS current so a socket AM2+/AM3 will work, guess what?  You have to already own a spare AM2 CPU to boot from in order to do the update.

                              Upon contacting Tiger about this, they didn't understand it at all, argued with me over it and would only offer me paying at my expense for return shipping on the entire bundle before they would 'consider' a full refund.

                              I wrote this up in more detail here for those who are interested.

                              I would strongly recommend using http://www.newegg.com/ or http://www.mwave.com/  as over the years they have been flawless with service issues.

                              I haven't bought something from Tiger in 10yrs due to exactly this and was told they had vastly improved their service....they haven't.

                              73      de     Chris       KC2RGW
                              ˙dn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ
                              ǝsɐǝןd 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟı

                            • Roger Critchlow
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 7, 2011

                                On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Chris <kc2rgw@...> wrote:

                                Just say NO to TigerDirect's bundles.

                                TigerDirect shipped me an open box DOA disk drive and told me it was my problem.  I was stunned.

                                I would strongly recommend using http://www.newegg.com/ or http://www.mwave.com/  as over the years they have been flawless with service issues.

                                Agreed,

                                -- rec --
                              • James Hall

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 7, 2011
                                    FWIW, I have started doing business with Computergeeks.com and they have
                                    had super fast shipping and have been very responsive to my e-mails.
                                    Just did a RAID1 backup system for my shack computer and will do another
                                    on my wifes oldie next week. Their prices are very good. They don't
                                    always have the cutting edge of PC stuff but they do have a reasonable
                                    selection for the home builder.

                                    Just my opinion. Your results may vary. ;>)

                                    Best 72, 73
                                    Mike Baker K7DD
                                    k7dd@...