Re: [softrock40] Softrock V7

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 3:48 PM
      Hi John,

      The v7.0 is intended as a 10m IF for converters and with the 28.06 MHz crystal supplied with the kit the coverage is +/- 48 kHz each side of 28.06 MHz when used with a soundcard that can sample at 96 kHz.  The quadrature clocks result from using a phase shift network prior to a voltage comparator to get the clock that is shifted by 90 degrees.

      The v7.0 can be used as a receiver and I have built several for 20m.  Seems to make quite a reasonable 20m receiver.  v7.0 kit price is $19 for DX which does include the postage costs.

      Bill, KD5TFD, has tested the v7.0 at 10m and has the following info at his website:

      Got a SoftRock V7 beta built and checked out today  - looks pretty
      good.  MDS of -112 dbm with a Delta 44 and -109 dbm with an Extigy.  Pics
      and PowerSDR spec shots @
      http://ewjt.com/kd5tfd/sdr1k-notebook/sr40/sr7/index.html

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6 3:56 AM
          Hi John,

          Yes, that could be done with the v7.0 but it also could be done with the v6.0 at a lower cost.  The transmit function would be at the fixed oscillator frequency.

          In the v6.0 either of the quadrature clock signals could be used to drive an external class C amplifier.  The clock signal would need to be buffered and filtered prior to the keyed amplifier stage.  Use the SoftRock mute feature, (open circuit pins 1 and 2 of JP2), during transmit and an antenna switch would complete the circuit.

          73,
          Tony KB9YIG

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9 3:10 AM
            Ok Thanks Tony,

            By the way, I have just installed a 14.318 meg xtal in my V6 (switchable with the original xtal), and now cover nearly the entire 80m Australian band i.e 3530-3627. It should also cover 1741-1837. I have a number of these xtals available if anyone in Australia is interested in changing the frequency range of their softrock.

            Cheers

            John de VK4JWT

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9 4:15 AM
              Very good John.  Yes, 14.318 MHz is a nice low cost crystal available in lots of different cases.

              Can you let me know what are the 160m and 80m bands for Australia?

              Thanks and 73,
              Tony KB9YIG

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9 7:01 PM
                The 160m band is 1800-1875, and 80m is 3500-3700, (dx window is 3776-3800)

                Can you let me know what xtals come with the V7, and also if you have an xtal for my V6 for 30m (must be around 40.5 megs).

                Cheers

                VK4JWT