Softrock V7

  • radiomanjwt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
      Hi,

      Just wondering what the diference between the V6 and V7 is, (what
      frequency does the V7 cover and what xtal multiplier does it use?), I
      have built a V6, and am thinking of ordering a V7 as well.

      Cheers

      John de VK4JWT
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
        Hi John,

        The v7.0 is intended as a 10m IF for converters and with the 28.06 MHz crystal supplied with the kit the coverage is +/- 48 kHz each side of 28.06 MHz when used with a soundcard that can sample at 96 kHz.  The quadrature clocks result from using a phase shift network prior to a voltage comparator to get the clock that is shifted by 90 degrees.

        The v7.0 can be used as a receiver and I have built several for 20m.  Seems to make quite a reasonable 20m receiver.  v7.0 kit price is $19 for DX which does include the postage costs.

        Bill, KD5TFD, has tested the v7.0 at 10m and has the following info at his website:

        Got a SoftRock V7 beta built and checked out today  - looks pretty
        good.  MDS of -112 dbm with a Delta 44 and -109 dbm with an Extigy.  Pics
        and PowerSDR spec shots @
        http://ewjt.com/kd5tfd/sdr1k-notebook/sr40/sr7/index.html

        Thanks and 73,
        Tony KB9YIG

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2006
            Hi John,

            Yes, that could be done with the v7.0 but it also could be done with the v6.0 at a lower cost.  The transmit function would be at the fixed oscillator frequency.

            In the v6.0 either of the quadrature clock signals could be used to drive an external class C amplifier.  The clock signal would need to be buffered and filtered prior to the keyed amplifier stage.  Use the SoftRock mute feature, (open circuit pins 1 and 2 of JP2), during transmit and an antenna switch would complete the circuit.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
              Ok Thanks Tony,

              By the way, I have just installed a 14.318 meg xtal in my V6 (switchable with the original xtal), and now cover nearly the entire 80m Australian band i.e 3530-3627. It should also cover 1741-1837. I have a number of these xtals available if anyone in Australia is interested in changing the frequency range of their softrock.

              Cheers

              John de VK4JWT

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
                Very good John.  Yes, 14.318 MHz is a nice low cost crystal available in lots of different cases.

                Can you let me know what are the 160m and 80m bands for Australia?

                Thanks and 73,
                Tony KB9YIG

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
                  The 160m band is 1800-1875, and 80m is 3500-3700, (dx window is 3776-3800)

                  Can you let me know what xtals come with the V7, and also if you have an xtal for my V6 for 30m (must be around 40.5 megs).

                  Cheers

                  VK4JWT