Re: SoftRock V6 with AD9951

  • datosa2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi John,
      thanks for the info, I will use the AD9951 generator from the miniVNA
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analyzer_iw3hev), I was wondering if
      the -2 dBm level is sufficient to feed the Softrock40. What is the
      level of your DDS-60?

      Davide, iw3hev

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...>

      http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
      > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart
      from
      > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure
      that
      > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > John g0orx/n6lyt
      >
      > datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:
      >
      > > Hello All,
      > > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
      > > already did?
      > >
      > > Davide, iw3hev
      > >

      > --
      > --
      > John Melton
      > Sun IT CTO
      > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
      > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

    • John Melton
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
        The spec for the DDS-60 says the output is 'fully adjustable to +16 dBm,
        or about 4V p-p'. I am running it at about 2.5v p-p.

        John

        datosa2001 wrote On 07/03/06 08:47,:

        > Hi John,
        > thanks for the info, I will use the AD9951 generator from the miniVNA
        > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analyzer_iw3hev
        > the -2 dBm level is sufficient to feed the Softrock40. What is the
        > level of your DDS-60?
        >
        > Davide, iw3hev
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton <john.melton@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Davide,
        > >
        > > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
        > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
        > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
        > > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart
        > from
        > > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure
        > that
        > > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > John g0orx/n6lyt
        > >
        > > datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:
        > >
        > > > Hello All,
        > > > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
        > > > already did?
        > > >
        > > > Davide, iw3hev
        > > >

        > > --
        > > --
        > > John Melton
        > > Sun IT CTO
        > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
        > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

        John Melton
        Sun IT CTO
        Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
        Mobile: +44 7714 708861
      • Ben Hall
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          Hi John,

          How/where do you connect the DDS-60 to your various versions of the
          softrock?

          thanks and 73,
          ben, KD5BYB

          John Melton wrote:
          > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
          > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
          > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart from
          > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
          > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John g0orx/n6lyt
        • John Melton
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
            Hi Ben,

            In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
            have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.

            V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
            V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
            V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
            V7 - DDS-60 input to C6

            Hope that helps,

            Regards,

            John g0orx/n6lyt

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
              Hi John and group,

              Crystal clear! (pun not intended, but I guess its a little funny)

              thanks and 73,
              ben, KD5BYB

              John Melton wrote:

              > Hi Ben,
              >
              > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
              > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.
              >
              > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
              > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
              > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
              > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
              >
              > Hope that helps,
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > John g0orx/n6lyt
            • n3hkn
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                John,
                You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO driving
                the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I found
                the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough to set
                the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude of the
                spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?

                The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I would
                guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??

                Dick N3HKN

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ben,
                >
                > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
                > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.
                >
                > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
                > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                >
                > Hope that helps,
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > John g0orx/n6lyt
                >
                > Ben Hall wrote On 07/03/06 23:12,:
                >
                > > Hi John,
                > >
                > > How/where do you connect the DDS-60 to your various versions of the
                > > softrock?
                > >
                > > thanks and 73,
                > > ben, KD5BYB
                > >
                > > John Melton wrote:
                > > > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
                > > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                > > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                > > > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock.
                Apart from
                > > > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
                > > > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
                > > >
                > > > Regards,
                > > >
                > > > John g0orx/n6lyt
                > >

                > --
                > --
                > John Melton
                > Sun IT CTO
                > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

              • John Melton
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                  The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before the
                  47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs across
                  the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                  frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to tune
                  the required frequency.

                  I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java GUI
                  for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR but
                  modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the release
                  for DttSP2.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    John,
                    I have idea to design I/Q generator with 2 AD9951 or AD9954 to avoid
                    the X4 factor, I have some doubt about the internal AD9954
                    comparator, did you already try that one? any advantage?

                    Davide

                    wrote:

                    > The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before
                    the
                    > 47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs
                    across
                    > the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                    > frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to
                    tune
                    > the required frequency.
                    >
                    > I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java
                    GUI
                    > for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR
                    but
                    > modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the
                    release
                    > for DttSP2.
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > n3hkn wrote On 07/04/06 14:41,:
                    >
                    > > John,
                    > > You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO
                    driving
                    > > the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I
                    found
                    > > the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough to
                    set
                    > > the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude of
                    the
                    > > spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?
                    > >
                    > > The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I
                    would
                    > > guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??
                    > >
                    > > Dick N3HKN
                    > >
                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                    > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton <john.melton@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi Ben,
                    > > >
                    > > > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator
                    circuit and I
                    > > > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the
                    DDS-60.

                    > > > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                    > > > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in
                    series.
                    > > > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                    > > > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                    > > >
                    > > > Hope that helps,
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards,
                    > > >
                    > > > John g0orx/n6lyt

                    > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                    > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                    > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                    > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>>
                    > > Apart from

                    > > > --
                    > > > --
                    > > > John Melton
                    > > > Sun IT CTO
                    > > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                    > > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861
                    > > >

                    > --
                    > --
                    > John Melton
                    > Sun IT CTO
                    > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                    > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                  • n3hkn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                      The first low value resistor I came across was 42 ohms so installed
                      that across the DDS60 output. The spur population is now much less.
                      I do not think that you could ever simply set your SDR at a place in
                      the 48/96khz bandwidth and simply tune the DD60 as you would
                      a "normal" VFO. While the spurs are less numerous, such tuning
                      produces constant low level audible birdies that could be signals
                      (perhaps CW).

                      However, as John noted, you can select a region of a band (48 or
                      96khz) and tune the DDS to produce minimum/acceptable spurs. Then
                      tune as you would if the SDR was xtal controlled. As an example if
                      you were interested in PSK you can easily find a setting with spur
                      free operation in the 14.070 area. The same for CW (more 48/96khz
                      segments) or SSB (many more 48khz/96khz segments). However, for SSB
                      some software has notch filtering which allows more general tuning
                      with good results even if a spur is setting within the selected
                      passband.

                      Dick N3HKN

                      wrote:

                      > The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before
                      the
                      > 47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs
                      across
                      > the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                      > frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to
                      tune
                      > the required frequency.
                      >
                      > I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java
                      GUI
                      > for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR
                      but
                      > modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the
                      release
                      > for DttSP2.
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > n3hkn wrote On 07/04/06 14:41,:
                      >
                      > > John,
                      > > You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO
                      driving
                      > > the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I
                      found
                      > > the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough
                      to set
                      > > the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude
                      of the
                      > > spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?
                      > >
                      > > The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I
                      would
                      > > guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??
                      > >
                      > > Dick N3HKN
                      > >
                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton
                      <john.melton@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Ben,
                      > > >
                      > > > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator
                      circuit and I
                      > > > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the
                      DDS-60.

                      > > > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                      > > > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in
                      series.
                      > > > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                      > > > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                      > > >
                      > > > Hope that helps,
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > John g0orx/n6lyt

                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>>
                      > > Apart from

                      > > > --
                      > > > --
                      > > > John Melton
                      > > > Sun IT CTO
                      > > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                      > > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861
                      > > >

                      > --
                      > --
                      > John Melton
                      > Sun IT CTO
                      > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                      > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                    • gack.brkkarter
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 15, 2007
                        Hi all,

                        A quick update for the new users with V6.2 RX/TX:

                        Depopulate the Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and interface the DDS-60
                        input to C45, use the unpopulated emitter solder point for Q13.

                        Todd
                        KV1M

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 16, 2007
                          > Depopulate the Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and interface the DDS-60
                          > input to C45, use the unpopulated emitter solder point for Q13.

                          What I have done is remove JP2 and JP1.
                          Then a DDS60 (or whatever) can be connected to the centre pin of JP1.
                          Quick and simple to revert to the crystals.