Re: [softrock40] SoftRock V6 with AD9951

  • John Melton
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi Davide,

      I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
      that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart from
      some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
      you have a good 50 ohm termination.

      Regards,

      John g0orx/n6lyt

      datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:

      > Hello All,
      > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
      > already did?
      >
      > Davide, iw3hev

      John Melton
      Sun IT CTO
      Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
      Mobile: +44 7714 708861
    • datosa2001
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi John,
        thanks for the info, I will use the AD9951 generator from the miniVNA
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analyzer_iw3hev), I was wondering if
        the -2 dBm level is sufficient to feed the Softrock40. What is the
        level of your DDS-60?

        Davide, iw3hev

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Davide,
        >
        > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
        http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
        > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart
        from
        > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure
        that
        > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > John g0orx/n6lyt
        >
        > datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:
        >
        > > Hello All,
        > > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
        > > already did?
        > >
        > > Davide, iw3hev
        > >

        > --
        > --
        > John Melton
        > Sun IT CTO
        > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
        > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

      • John Melton
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          The spec for the DDS-60 says the output is 'fully adjustable to +16 dBm,
          or about 4V p-p'. I am running it at about 2.5v p-p.

          John

          datosa2001 wrote On 07/03/06 08:47,:

          > Hi John,
          > thanks for the info, I will use the AD9951 generator from the miniVNA
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analyzer_iw3hev
          > the -2 dBm level is sufficient to feed the Softrock40. What is the
          > level of your DDS-60?
          >
          > Davide, iw3hev
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton <john.melton@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Davide,
          > >
          > > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
          > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
          > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
          > > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart
          > from
          > > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure
          > that
          > > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > John g0orx/n6lyt
          > >
          > > datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:
          > >
          > > > Hello All,
          > > > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
          > > > already did?
          > > >
          > > > Davide, iw3hev
          > > >

          > > --
          > > --
          > > John Melton
          > > Sun IT CTO
          > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
          > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

          John Melton
          Sun IT CTO
          Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
          Mobile: +44 7714 708861
        • Ben Hall
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            Hi John,

            How/where do you connect the DDS-60 to your various versions of the
            softrock?

            thanks and 73,
            ben, KD5BYB

            John Melton wrote:
            > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
            > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
            > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart from
            > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
            > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John g0orx/n6lyt
          • John Melton
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
              Hi Ben,

              In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
              have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.

              V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
              V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
              V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
              V7 - DDS-60 input to C6

              Hope that helps,

              Regards,

              John g0orx/n6lyt

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                Hi John and group,

                Crystal clear! (pun not intended, but I guess its a little funny)

                thanks and 73,
                ben, KD5BYB

                John Melton wrote:

                > Hi Ben,
                >
                > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
                > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.
                >
                > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
                > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                >
                > Hope that helps,
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > John g0orx/n6lyt
              • n3hkn
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                  John,
                  You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO driving
                  the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I found
                  the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough to set
                  the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude of the
                  spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?

                  The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I would
                  guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??

                  Dick N3HKN

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ben,
                  >
                  > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
                  > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.
                  >
                  > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                  > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
                  > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                  > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                  >
                  > Hope that helps,
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > John g0orx/n6lyt
                  >
                  > Ben Hall wrote On 07/03/06 23:12,:
                  >
                  > > Hi John,
                  > >
                  > > How/where do you connect the DDS-60 to your various versions of the
                  > > softrock?
                  > >
                  > > thanks and 73,
                  > > ben, KD5BYB
                  > >
                  > > John Melton wrote:
                  > > > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
                  > > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                  > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                  > > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                  > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                  > > > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock.
                  Apart from
                  > > > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
                  > > > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > >
                  > > > John g0orx/n6lyt
                  > >

                  > --
                  > --
                  > John Melton
                  > Sun IT CTO
                  > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                  > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                • John Melton
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before the
                    47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs across
                    the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                    frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to tune
                    the required frequency.

                    I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java GUI
                    for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR but
                    modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the release
                    for DttSP2.

                    John

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                      John,
                      I have idea to design I/Q generator with 2 AD9951 or AD9954 to avoid
                      the X4 factor, I have some doubt about the internal AD9954
                      comparator, did you already try that one? any advantage?

                      Davide

                      wrote:

                      > The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before
                      the
                      > 47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs
                      across
                      > the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                      > frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to
                      tune
                      > the required frequency.
                      >
                      > I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java
                      GUI
                      > for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR
                      but
                      > modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the
                      release
                      > for DttSP2.
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > n3hkn wrote On 07/04/06 14:41,:
                      >
                      > > John,
                      > > You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO
                      driving
                      > > the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I
                      found
                      > > the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough to
                      set
                      > > the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude of
                      the
                      > > spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?
                      > >
                      > > The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I
                      would
                      > > guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??
                      > >
                      > > Dick N3HKN
                      > >
                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton <john.melton@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Ben,
                      > > >
                      > > > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator
                      circuit and I
                      > > > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the
                      DDS-60.

                      > > > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                      > > > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in
                      series.
                      > > > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                      > > > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                      > > >
                      > > > Hope that helps,
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > John g0orx/n6lyt

                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>>
                      > > Apart from

                      > > > --
                      > > > --
                      > > > John Melton
                      > > > Sun IT CTO
                      > > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                      > > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861
                      > > >

                      > --
                      > --
                      > John Melton
                      > Sun IT CTO
                      > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                      > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                    • n3hkn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                        The first low value resistor I came across was 42 ohms so installed
                        that across the DDS60 output. The spur population is now much less.
                        I do not think that you could ever simply set your SDR at a place in
                        the 48/96khz bandwidth and simply tune the DD60 as you would
                        a "normal" VFO. While the spurs are less numerous, such tuning
                        produces constant low level audible birdies that could be signals
                        (perhaps CW).

                        However, as John noted, you can select a region of a band (48 or
                        96khz) and tune the DDS to produce minimum/acceptable spurs. Then
                        tune as you would if the SDR was xtal controlled. As an example if
                        you were interested in PSK you can easily find a setting with spur
                        free operation in the 14.070 area. The same for CW (more 48/96khz
                        segments) or SSB (many more 48khz/96khz segments). However, for SSB
                        some software has notch filtering which allows more general tuning
                        with good results even if a spur is setting within the selected
                        passband.

                        Dick N3HKN

                        wrote:

                        > The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before
                        the
                        > 47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs
                        across
                        > the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                        > frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to
                        tune
                        > the required frequency.
                        >
                        > I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java
                        GUI
                        > for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR
                        but
                        > modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the
                        release
                        > for DttSP2.
                        >
                        > John
                        >
                        > n3hkn wrote On 07/04/06 14:41,:
                        >
                        > > John,
                        > > You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO
                        driving
                        > > the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I
                        found
                        > > the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough
                        to set
                        > > the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude
                        of the
                        > > spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?
                        > >
                        > > The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I
                        would
                        > > guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??
                        > >
                        > > Dick N3HKN
                        > >
                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton
                        <john.melton@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Ben,
                        > > >
                        > > > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator
                        circuit and I
                        > > > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the
                        DDS-60.

                        > > > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                        > > > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in
                        series.
                        > > > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                        > > > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                        > > >
                        > > > Hope that helps,
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards,
                        > > >
                        > > > John g0orx/n6lyt

                        > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                        > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                        > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                        > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>>
                        > > Apart from

                        > > > --
                        > > > --
                        > > > John Melton
                        > > > Sun IT CTO
                        > > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                        > > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861
                        > > >

                        > --
                        > --
                        > John Melton
                        > Sun IT CTO
                        > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                        > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                      • gack.brkkarter
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 15, 2007
                          Hi all,

                          A quick update for the new users with V6.2 RX/TX:

                          Depopulate the Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and interface the DDS-60
                          input to C45, use the unpopulated emitter solder point for Q13.

                          Todd
                          KV1M

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 16, 2007
                            From: "gack.brkkarter"

                            > Depopulate the Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and interface the DDS-60
                            > input to C45, use the unpopulated emitter solder point for Q13.

                            What I have done is remove JP2 and JP1.
                            Then a DDS60 (or whatever) can be connected to the centre pin of JP1.
                            Quick and simple to revert to the crystals.