SoftRock V6 with AD9951

  • datosa2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hello All,
      I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
      already did?

      Davide, iw3hev
    • Barry Cromwell
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2006
        I am using Jan Wagner's (oh2ghr) latest receiver (basic SDR-1000 design with additional oscillator configurations). The DDS Board Giuliano's (i0cg) DDS board and the 500 mhz oscillator.  It works extremely well within the limits of the single 5 - 12 mhz bpf.  It is much cleaner than the AD9854 design even after changing the low pass filters to the current SDR-1000 configuration.  I see the SDR-X uses this DDS board as well.  I am waiting for more information on this SDR-X and the associated preselector.
        Barry, kk4vt

        datosa2001 <datos@...> wrote:
        Hello All,
        I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
        already did?

        Davide, iw3hev

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • John Melton
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          Hi Davide,

          I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
          that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart from
          some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
          you have a good 50 ohm termination.

          Regards,

          John g0orx/n6lyt

          datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:

          > Hello All,
          > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
          > already did?
          >
          > Davide, iw3hev

          John Melton
          Sun IT CTO
          Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
          Mobile: +44 7714 708861
        • datosa2001
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            Hi John,
            thanks for the info, I will use the AD9951 generator from the miniVNA
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analyzer_iw3hev), I was wondering if
            the -2 dBm level is sufficient to feed the Softrock40. What is the
            level of your DDS-60?

            Davide, iw3hev

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Davide,
            >
            > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
            http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
            > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart
            from
            > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure
            that
            > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John g0orx/n6lyt
            >
            > datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:
            >
            > > Hello All,
            > > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
            > > already did?
            > >
            > > Davide, iw3hev
            > >

            > --
            > --
            > John Melton
            > Sun IT CTO
            > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
            > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

          • John Melton
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              The spec for the DDS-60 says the output is 'fully adjustable to +16 dBm,
              or about 4V p-p'. I am running it at about 2.5v p-p.

              John

              datosa2001 wrote On 07/03/06 08:47,:

              > Hi John,
              > thanks for the info, I will use the AD9951 generator from the miniVNA
              > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analyzer_iw3hev
              > the -2 dBm level is sufficient to feed the Softrock40. What is the
              > level of your DDS-60?
              >
              > Davide, iw3hev
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton <john.melton@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Davide,
              > >
              > > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
              > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
              > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
              > > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart
              > from
              > > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure
              > that
              > > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > John g0orx/n6lyt
              > >
              > > datosa2001 wrote On 07/02/06 15:09,:
              > >
              > > > Hello All,
              > > > I intend to use SoftRock 40 with external LO type AD9951, anyone
              > > > already did?
              > > >
              > > > Davide, iw3hev
              > > >

              > > --
              > > --
              > > John Melton
              > > Sun IT CTO
              > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
              > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

              John Melton
              Sun IT CTO
              Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
              Mobile: +44 7714 708861
            • Ben Hall
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                Hi John,

                How/where do you connect the DDS-60 to your various versions of the
                softrock?

                thanks and 73,
                ben, KD5BYB

                John Melton wrote:
                > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock. Apart from
                > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
                > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > John g0orx/n6lyt
              • John Melton
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Hi Ben,

                  In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
                  have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.

                  V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                  V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
                  V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                  V7 - DDS-60 input to C6

                  Hope that helps,

                  Regards,

                  John g0orx/n6lyt

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Hi John and group,

                    Crystal clear! (pun not intended, but I guess its a little funny)

                    thanks and 73,
                    ben, KD5BYB

                    John Melton wrote:

                    > Hi Ben,
                    >
                    > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
                    > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.
                    >
                    > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                    > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
                    > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                    > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                    >
                    > Hope that helps,
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > John g0orx/n6lyt
                  • n3hkn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                      John,
                      You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO driving
                      the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I found
                      the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough to set
                      the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude of the
                      spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?

                      The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I would
                      guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??

                      Dick N3HKN

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Ben,
                      >
                      > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and I
                      > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the DDS-60.
                      >
                      > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                      > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in series.
                      > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                      > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                      >
                      > Hope that helps,
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > John g0orx/n6lyt
                      >
                      > Ben Hall wrote On 07/03/06 23:12,:
                      >
                      > > Hi John,
                      > >
                      > > How/where do you connect the DDS-60 to your various versions of the
                      > > softrock?
                      > >
                      > > thanks and 73,
                      > > ben, KD5BYB
                      > >
                      > > John Melton wrote:
                      > > > I have a DDS-60 from AMQRP
                      > > http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                      > > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html
                      > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                      > > > that I use with several different versions of the SoftRock.
                      Apart from
                      > > > some spurs, which can be avoided, it works well. Just make sure that
                      > > > you have a good 50 ohm termination.
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > John g0orx/n6lyt
                      > >

                      > --
                      > --
                      > John Melton
                      > Sun IT CTO
                      > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                      > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                    • John Melton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                        The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before the
                        47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs across
                        the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                        frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to tune
                        the required frequency.

                        I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java GUI
                        for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR but
                        modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the release
                        for DttSP2.

                        John

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                          John,
                          I have idea to design I/Q generator with 2 AD9951 or AD9954 to avoid
                          the X4 factor, I have some doubt about the internal AD9954
                          comparator, did you already try that one? any advantage?

                          Davide

                          wrote:

                          > The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before
                          the
                          > 47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs
                          across
                          > the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                          > frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to
                          tune
                          > the required frequency.
                          >
                          > I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java
                          GUI
                          > for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR
                          but
                          > modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the
                          release
                          > for DttSP2.
                          >
                          > John
                          >
                          > n3hkn wrote On 07/04/06 14:41,:
                          >
                          > > John,
                          > > You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO
                          driving
                          > > the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I
                          found
                          > > the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough to
                          set
                          > > the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude of
                          the
                          > > spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?
                          > >
                          > > The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I
                          would
                          > > guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??
                          > >
                          > > Dick N3HKN
                          > >
                          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton <john.melton@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Ben,
                          > > >
                          > > > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator
                          circuit and I
                          > > > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the
                          DDS-60.

                          > > > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                          > > > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in
                          series.
                          > > > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                          > > > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                          > > >
                          > > > Hope that helps,
                          > > >
                          > > > Regards,
                          > > >
                          > > > John g0orx/n6lyt

                          > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                          > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                          > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                          > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>>
                          > > Apart from

                          > > > --
                          > > > --
                          > > > John Melton
                          > > > Sun IT CTO
                          > > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                          > > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861
                          > > >

                          > --
                          > --
                          > John Melton
                          > Sun IT CTO
                          > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                          > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                        • n3hkn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                            The first low value resistor I came across was 42 ohms so installed
                            that across the DDS60 output. The spur population is now much less.
                            I do not think that you could ever simply set your SDR at a place in
                            the 48/96khz bandwidth and simply tune the DD60 as you would
                            a "normal" VFO. While the spurs are less numerous, such tuning
                            produces constant low level audible birdies that could be signals
                            (perhaps CW).

                            However, as John noted, you can select a region of a band (48 or
                            96khz) and tune the DDS to produce minimum/acceptable spurs. Then
                            tune as you would if the SDR was xtal controlled. As an example if
                            you were interested in PSK you can easily find a setting with spur
                            free operation in the 14.070 area. The same for CW (more 48/96khz
                            segments) or SSB (many more 48khz/96khz segments). However, for SSB
                            some software has notch filtering which allows more general tuning
                            with good results even if a spur is setting within the selected
                            passband.

                            Dick N3HKN

                            wrote:

                            > The 50 ohm termination does help somewhat and, yes, it is before
                            the
                            > 47pf cap. There are still frequencies where there are many spurs
                            across
                            > the 48/96 KHz bandwidth but you can easily offset the DDS-60 to a
                            > frequency that has none or minimal spurs and use the software to
                            tune
                            > the required frequency.
                            >
                            > I have been experimenting with some code for a version of my Java
                            GUI
                            > for DttSP that is similar to the spur reduction code in PowerSDR
                            but
                            > modified for the AD9951. I plan on making that code part of the
                            release
                            > for DttSP2.
                            >
                            > John
                            >
                            > n3hkn wrote On 07/04/06 14:41,:
                            >
                            > > John,
                            > > You seem to have a lot of experience with the DDS60 as a VFO
                            driving
                            > > the SoftRock series. My experience has been with the V5 where I
                            found
                            > > the amount of spurs in the bandpass to be high (amount) enough
                            to set
                            > > the DDS60 aside as a VFO. Do you find the number and amplitude
                            of the
                            > > spurs excessive (used as a VFO) in your experience?
                            > >
                            > > The one thing I did not do was to put 50ohms across the DDS60. I
                            would
                            > > guess that the resistor should be placed before the 47pf cap??
                            > >
                            > > Dick N3HKN
                            > >
                            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                            > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, John Melton
                            <john.melton@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi Ben,
                            > > >
                            > > > In all cases I have not populated Xtal/2n3904 oscillator
                            circuit and I
                            > > > have also put a 50 ohm termination across the input from the
                            DDS-60.

                            > > > V4 - DDS-60 input to C8.
                            > > > V5 - DDS-60 input to pin 4 of J1 on QSD board with 47pF cap in
                            series.
                            > > > V6 - DDS-60 input to C7
                            > > > V7 - DDS-60 input to C6
                            > > >
                            > > > Hope that helps,
                            > > >
                            > > > Regards,
                            > > >
                            > > > John g0orx/n6lyt

                            > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                            > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>
                            > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>
                            > > <http://www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html>>>
                            > > Apart from

                            > > > --
                            > > > --
                            > > > John Melton
                            > > > Sun IT CTO
                            > > > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                            > > > Mobile: +44 7714 708861
                            > > >

                            > --
                            > --
                            > John Melton
                            > Sun IT CTO
                            > Office: +44 1252 421708 (ext 21708)
                            > Mobile: +44 7714 708861

                          • gack.brkkarter
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 15, 2007
                              Hi all,

                              A quick update for the new users with V6.2 RX/TX:

                              Depopulate the Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and interface the DDS-60
                              input to C45, use the unpopulated emitter solder point for Q13.

                              Todd
                              KV1M

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 16, 2007
                                From: "gack.brkkarter"

                                > Depopulate the Xtal/2n3904 oscillator circuit and interface the DDS-60
                                > input to C45, use the unpopulated emitter solder point for Q13.

                                What I have done is remove JP2 and JP1.
                                Then a DDS60 (or whatever) can be connected to the centre pin of JP1.
                                Quick and simple to revert to the crystals.