Calibrated Si570 control for quisk 3.5.0

  • Ethan Blanton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2011
    Hi all,

    For those of you (like me) using quisk with a SoftRock
    Si570-controlled radio via a DG8SAQ-style controller which does not
    compensate for the Si570's internal crystal deviation (if your WWV
    isn't at 5.0 and 10.0MHz on the dot, I'm talking to you!), I have
    attached a patch to quisk 3.5.0 which compensates for this error.

    If you're not using quisk, or you're not using a Si570 device with USB
    control, or your WWV is where it belongs, this message is not for you!

    To apply this patch to your quisk, go to your quisk 3.5.0 source
    directory and run:

    patch -p1 < si570_direct_control.diff

    You will then have to enable the patch, by setting some values in your
    ~/.quisk_conf.py:

    si570_direct_control = True
    si570_xtal_freq = 114285000

    The precise value for si570_xtal_freq depends on your particular Si570
    device. You currently must use the usbsoftrock utility to retrieve
    this frequency. To do so, run:

    usbsoftrock calibrate

    This will return a frequency (in MHz), which represents the internal
    crystal frequency of your Si570 device. It should be something in
    the neighborhood of 114.285 MHz. Convert it to Hz and place it in
    si570_xtal_freq in place of the 114285000 above.

    With these changes in place, you should find that your quisk frequency
    display tracks on the nose.

    If you have any problems with this patch, or any questions about how
    to use it, or any comments about what I screwed up (related to this
    patch only!), please Cc: me directly. I do not receive push updates
    from this list, so it might otherwise be a while before I notice your
    reply.

    Ethan