Re: [softrock40] Combined Lite II IF Special kit

  • James Hall
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2011
      10.7/10.8mhz might be handy.

      On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:05 PM, kb9yig <kb9yig@...> wrote:

      Good Afternoon All,

      I am trying to make a Combined Lite II IF Special kit available where the kit will include the Lite II circuit board and components such that it may be built for several popular IF frequencies. (This would be similar to what is done with the Lite II Combined kit for 160m through 20m.)

      Ideally, it would be good to have the Lite II center frequency about 12 kHz above or below the IF center frequency so that a soundcard sampling at 48 kHz would still give good IF band coverage but still have the Lite II center frequency noise away from the IF frequency. Going with low-cost crystals available in distribution, this is not usually possible.

      Looking at suggested IF frequencies and available low-cost crystals the following are possible:

      455 kHz IF frequency with a 1.843 MHz crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 460 kHz.

      500 kHz IF frequency with a 2.048 MHz crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 512 kHz.

      4.915 MHz IF frequency, (K2), with a 19.68 MHz crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 4.92 MHz.

      8.215 MHz IF frequency, (K3), with a 32.768 MHz crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 8.192 MHz.

      8.83 MHz IF frequency with a 35.251 MHz crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 8.812 MHz.

      Are there other IF frequencies needing to be included in the kit?

      Comments would be helpful.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG

    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2011
        Thanks. Yes, I will expand the list to include the 10.7 MHz case.

        --
        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...

        On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 17:12 -0500, James Hall wrote:

[...]

      • G3RIR
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2011
          Tony,

          The best IF to use for the TS2000 is at 10.695MHz so aim at 10.680 or 10.710
          I suppose.

          I have obtained a crystal locally and I will put it in the lite kit I
          obtained from you and built for 30m.

          73

          Neil, G3RIR

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2011
              Hi Neil,

              For this IF frequency one possibility is a 14.276 MHz crystal in 1/3 sub-harmonic sampling to give a Lite II center frequency of about 14.276 *3 / 4 = 10.707 MHz.  A 14.299 MHz crystal would give an Lite II center frequency of about 10.724 MHz.

              Tony Parks
              kb9yig@...
              http://www.kb9yig.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2011
                Tony,

                The Icom IC910H has two If's, the main one is
                10.850MHz and the secondary is 10.950MHz

                David

                At 08:05 AM 3/02/2011, you wrote:

                >Good Afternoon All,
                >
                >I am trying to make a Combined Lite II IF
                >Special kit available where the kit will include
                >the Lite II circuit board and components such
                >that it may be built for several popular IF
                >frequencies. (This would be similar to what is
                >done with the Lite II Combined kit for 160m through 20m.)
                >
                >Ideally, it would be good to have the Lite II
                >center frequency about 12 kHz above or below the
                >IF center frequency so that a soundcard sampling
                >at 48 kHz would still give good IF band coverage
                >but still have the Lite II center frequency
                >noise away from the IF frequency. Going with
                >low-cost crystals available in distribution, this is not usually possible.
                >
                >Looking at suggested IF frequencies and
                >available low-cost crystals the following are possible:
                >
                >455 kHz IF frequency with a 1.843 MHz crystal
                >giving a Lite II center frequency of about 460 kHz.
                >
                >500 kHz IF frequency with a 2.048 MHz crystal
                >giving a Lite II center frequency of about 512 kHz.
                >
                >4.915 MHz IF frequency, (K2), with a 19.68 MHz
                >crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 4.92 MHz.
                >
                >8.215 MHz IF frequency, (K3), with a 32.768 MHz
                >crystal giving a Lite II center frequency of about 8.192 MHz.
                >
                >8.83 MHz IF frequency with a 35.251 MHz crystal
                >giving a Lite II center frequency of about 8.812 MHz.
                >
                >Are there other IF frequencies needing to be included in the kit?
                >
                >Comments would be helpful.
                >
                >Thanks and 73,
                >Tony KB9YIG

                David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
                CAPALABA QLD
                AUSTRALIA
                27.32.38S 153.12.03E
                QG62OL
                Skype :- davhop
              • Jack Smith

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 3, 2011

                    9.010 mHz for early icoms

                    Merv

                  • Tony Parks
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Thanks Merv.  Yes, I will add the 9.01 MHz IF to the list.

                      Tony Parks
                      kb9yig@...
                      http://www.kb9yig.com

                      On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 09:53 +0000, Mervyn wrote:

                      9.010 mHz for early icoms

                      Merv

                    • N1EU
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2011
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:
                        > Are there other IF frequencies needing to be included in the kit?

                        9Mhz for Ten-Tec and 5.645Mhz for Drake R-4X

                        73, Barry N1EU
                      • vk2md
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 3, 2011
                          You should mention that for Yaseu FT950 and FT2000 users who include an RFSpace IF2000 to reduce the 69Mhz IF to 10.55Mhz that they should build the 30m version of the kit, but use the 14.089Mhz crystal meant for the 80M build.

                          Here is the maths

                          14.089 * 3 / 4 = 10.56675

                          So the current Combined Lite II kit can be a Pan Adapter for the FT950/2000

                          regards
                          Steve
                          vk2md