Re: [softrock40] Re: RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1 7:30 AM
      How do you guys do this without a signal generator? Or does everyone need to have one to calibrate their software app?

      Any easy to build kits that can give us a calibrated signal in the HF bands? What about good used test equip models. Over 1000 hits on signal generator on ebay...

      Don't have a second receiver to sync with...

      John

      On 2/1/2011 8:48 AM, c.oawright wrote:

      Go to setup/calibration tab. Inject -70dbm signal at 10mhz (or change frequency) then start calibration.
      You can do the same for frequency and image calibration.

      Charles
      WB4HLW

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1 8:00 AM
        From: "John Williams"
        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete

        > How do you guys do this without a signal generator?

        If you want accurate calibration a calibrated generator is required.

        >Or does everyone
        > need to have one to calibrate their software app?

        No. It can be done by guesswork... Depends how fussy you are.

        > Any easy to build kits that can give us a calibrated signal in the HF
        > bands? What about good used test equip models. Over 1000 hits on signal
        > generator on ebay...

        There will not be many kits that don't need calibrating themselves. There is
        an Elecraft with, I think, a few fixed frequencies.

        Hopefully a good used generator will be close enough but is it worth while
        for just calibrating?

        It is preferable to have a generator of some sort for setting image
        rejection for some software. A relatively simple DDS or Si570 with divider
        could be used. I think many already have a transceiver.