Re: [softrock40] Minimum discernable signals

  • Roelof Bakker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hello Greg,

      I have not tested a Lite II yet, but I have a RX LF Ensemble which is used
      for weak signal work at LF.
      I have compared it with a PERSEUS SDR and it is as sensitive as that and
      even has the edge.
      The noise floor of the PERSEUS is -144 dBm in a 10 Hz bandwidth.

      My experience with low noise antennas has shown that for a beverage a
      pre-amplifier is called for.
      Your Icom has a pre-amp on board and it is logical that weak signal
      performanc is better.

      You could do the test again with a decent pre-amp up front.
      When you google for W7IUV you will find one that is easy to build.

      73,
      Roelof, pa0rdt
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
        From: "greg c"
        Subject: [softrock40] Minimum discernable signals

        > I have been very disappointed in the Lite II's ability to copy weak
        > signals.

        As Roelof says the Icom is likely to be far too sensitive on 160m using
        ordinary antennas. The Softrock should be closer to the ideal with ordinary
        antennas.
        If all your receiving antennas are low noise, low signal then you may well
        need a preamp. I would also consider using the low noise LT6231 opamp if
        your version has not got it.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Scott Zastoupil
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2012
          I have two KB9YIG Softrock transceivers radios for sale.  I have not made any contacts with them.  Both receive ok with using PowerSDR and Rocky.  The reason I’m selling these is because I don’t have time to play with SDR and have other projects to complete.  The challenges for me to get them to work smoothly have revolved around PC configuration and stubborn of not upgrading CPU horsepower.  I saw one of these making contacts at Four Days In May 2011 at Dayton Hamvention and was elated and frustrated at the same time working with a generic laptop and SoundBlaster USB sound card.  He was working 40m CW at 25-30wpm with full QSK.  It was frigg’n cool, but I just haven’t been able to achieve that, so I know it can be done.   So…there’s the full disclosure.

          Prices:
          RXTX – $80 shipped, lower 48.
          Softrock v6.2 – $60 shipped, lower 48
          Non-credit card Paypal or money order.  If you don’t have a non-credit card Paypal, please chip in a couple bucks to cover fee.

          More detail and photos:
          http://zastoupil.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/ham-radio-gear-for-sale-kb0kfx-shack-purge/

          Email me direct...offlist.  First come, first served.

          Scott, KB0KFX