RE: [softrock40] New member.

  • ANTHONY CASORSO
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2011
      Hey Martin,

      Welcome to the softrock zone. I've got two now, one for LW and one for SW listening. I am participating in a worldwide listening event this weekend of the NDB forum I belong to. I am using my softrock ensemble II RX. I have not turned on my other radios for a long time now.

      Cheers to you as well,

      Tony (aka TonyC on ARF)

      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      From: martin_cook@...
      Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:37:01 +0000
      Subject: [softrock40] New member.

      Hi guys,

      I'm a new kid on the block, but not new to radio in it's many forms. Started off in the mid 60's as a Radio Officer in the UK Merchant Navy, then installed ILS's and VOR's for the UK Civil Aviation people. Did a spell in the UK Royal Naval Reserve at the same time as a radio op too. Emigrated to NZ 1974 and taught Civil Avation apprentices for a while, then transferred to inspection of radio aids around the South Pacific Islands from a Fokker F27 aircraft - then 20-something years as an aircraft engineer and calibration engineer for Air NZ. Now retired and getting back into it again from home!

      Wanting to upgrade my venerable JRC NRD515, I wanted to buy Tony's Softrock 455 IF version but found it no longer available - so here I have the current Softrock Lite VII kit with views to modifying it to 455kHz. I have a 2MHz crystal to hand with thoughts of being able to display 450 to 500kHz. As the 455kHz is down-converted from 70MHz first IF I probably don't need an input filter but maybe some input attenuation/matching into the primary of the input transformer.

      Any comments will be greatfully received.

      Cheers - Martin ZL2MC