RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete

  • oe8pck
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 21, 2011
      As I have mentioned in another topic I am at a stage with the above mentioned cofiguration where i am not sure what o do.

      I am using win7 32 bit and a Delta 44 sound card.
      The PA/BPF/I2C ist set up for 40/30/20 meter band. After I as pete about this configuration he explained that there are problems with this setup. I have wound the Transformers and coils according to the build notes for the PA/BPF/I2C board. in these notes there is some what of a confusion regarding the coils for the configuration 40/30/20 meter band. I have got the RX working ok for 40/30/20 meter band, it sounds ok as far as I can judge, however I hae not tried the TX yet since Pete warned me that there are some still outstanding problems here. Bob seems to have confirmed this and says he has not looked into this..yet.
      Now.... I would like some advice what to do.
      Has anyone got this version similar to my setup to work on TX?
      Which SDR program have you got this to work on?
      Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get PSDR to work with this setup? The Atmel firmware for the SI570 is the version 15.13. I have really read lot of information on this subject in the group but must admit I am totally confused. Now I would like to take the lazy way out and ask someone who has got a funcioning system to list exactly what software is being used with the version numbers, the place where I can download it.
      I am using WinRad at the moment for the RX tests but it connot be used for TX as far as I know. My preference would be PSDR IF it can be used with Win7 32 bit and my firmware for the SI570.

      I do realise that these questions must have been asked and answered a number of times but I am just hoping someone my take pity on me and spell it out again using the latest know how.

      Please excuse the length of this message but I wanted to include verything and thank you for reading it.

      73 de Paul OE8PCK
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 21, 2011
        From: "oe8pck" <
        Subject: [softrock40] RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete

        > The PA/BPF/I2C ist set up for 40/30/20 meter band. After I as pete about
        > this configuration he explained that there are problems with this setup. I
        > have wound the Transformers and coils according to the build notes for the
        > PA/BPF/I2C board. in these notes there is some what of a confusion
        > regarding the coils for the configuration 40/30/20 meter band. I have got
        > the RX working ok for 40/30/20 meter band, it sounds ok as far as I can
        > judge, however I hae not tried the TX yet since Pete warned me that there
        > are some still outstanding problems here. Bob seems to have confirmed this
        > and says he has not looked into this..yet.

        Try it. You will do no harm. Some have said this configuration does work.

        > Now.... I would like some advice what to do.
        > Has anyone got this version similar to my setup to work on TX?
        > Which SDR program have you got this to work on?

        PSDR-IQ <http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list> is really the
        only one to consider for W7 TX.

        Look here <http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm> Section 11C for
        setup clues.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • oe8pck
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 26, 2011
          Tnx Alex,
          I have downloaded PSDR v1.19.315 and at first I had lots of trouble with the audio. I had to use the setting other sound card because no matter what I did I could not get my Delta 44 to talk on that setting. Now I am using the Delta 44 as another sound card and all appears to be working on RX. I have not tried tx but that is next on the agenda. Do you happen to know why the delta card does not work diretly?
          73 de Paul OE8PCK

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 26, 2011
            From: "oe8pck"
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete

            >I had to use the setting other sound card because no matter what I did I
            >could not get my Delta 44 to talk on that setting. Now I am using the Delta
            >44 as another sound card and all appears to be working on RX.

            Is this a driver issue? What driver do you use in unsupported mode?
            I had that problem, but I have 3 D44s. PDSR uses the ASIO drivers in
            supported mode and upsets the settings of all of them. Have you any other
            cards that might conflict?

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • oe8pck
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 26, 2011

              > From: "oe8pck"
              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete
              >

              > >I had to use the setting other sound card because no matter what I did I
              > >could not get my Delta 44 to talk on that setting. Now I am using the Delta
              > >44 as another sound card and all appears to be working on RX.
              >
              > Is this a driver issue? What driver do you use in unsupported mode?
              > I had that problem, but I have 3 D44s. PDSR uses the ASIO drivers in
              > supported mode and upsets the settings of all of them. Have you any other
              > cards that might conflict?
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

              I have only one d44, I am using the windows drivers in the unsupportet mode. I have the Asio drivers on the PC but I don't think the are loaded because when I select these the sdr goes light and finishes. It is a pity that I do not understand how this all works. What did you do to make things work?
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 26, 2011
                From: "oe8pck"

                > I have only one d44, I am using the windows drivers in the unsupportet
                > mode. I have the Asio drivers on the PC but I don't think the are loaded
                > because when I select these the sdr goes light and finishes. It is a pity
                > that I do not understand how this all works. What did you do to make
                > things work?

                The Delta 44 drivers are ASIO, maybe there is a conflict with your other
                ones.
                I'd try uninstalling all the other ASIO drivers and re-install the Delta
                ones.

                I have to use WDM drivers to get over my problem.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • oe8pck
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 29, 2011
                  Yes Alan that worked with the WDM drivers and D44. Now I am going to try and tx. I am not sure how but I think I could just put a Mike on the other d44 input and add 12 v to the ptt, but which PTT there are now two on my boards one on the original RXTX v6.3 board and on on the SI570 board from Pete. Do I have to add 12v to both or just the main board?

                  TNX for your help Alan 73 de Paul OE8PCK

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                    From: "oe8pck"

                    > but which PTT there are now two on my boards one on the original RXTX
                    > v6.3 board and on on the SI570 board from Pete. Do I have to add 12v to
                    > both or just the main board?

                    I'm not sure. It looks as if it is optional.

                    I presume Pete's board has a PTT +12 volt output that is, or may be,
                    connected to the 6.3 PTT-IN then only the USB PTT will be needed.

                    I use the COM port option. Then all that is needed is to connect the 6.3
                    PTT-IN to a COM port. You may well decide to use USB, for most purposes it
                    is superior.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • g8voip
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                      Hi,

                      Pete's board is the same circuit as Tony's USB to I2C adapter, so just link the PTT output (5V) to the PTT IN on the main v6.3 RXTX board. Its the only signal that is not taken directly to the PCB through the existing interconnecting headers.

                      Using the USB controlled PTT gives full compatibility with all of the SDR programs.

                      73, Bob G8VOI

                      > From: "oe8pck"
                      > Subject: [softrock40] Re: RXTX V6.3 and the PA/BPF/I2C board from Pete
                      >

                      > > but which PTT there are now two on my boards one on the original RXTX
                      > > v6.3 board and on on the SI570 board from Pete. Do I have to add 12v to
                      > > both or just the main board?
                      >
                      > I'm not sure. It looks as if it is optional.
                      >
                      > I presume Pete's board has a PTT +12 volt output that is, or may be,
                      > connected to the 6.3 PTT-IN then only the USB PTT will be needed.
                      >
                      > I use the COM port option. Then all that is needed is to connect the 6.3
                      > PTT-IN to a COM port. You may well decide to use USB, for most purposes it
                      > is superior.
                      >
                      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    • oe8pck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Thank you both for the info. I am not quite clear what you mean by usb controlled PTT. Does this mean that I do not need to manually switch the PTT with 5 to 12Volts but can switch using the PSDR software. I intend to use SSB but cannot find a PTT button on the PSDR screen. Sorry to be such a pain but I am so near now.
                        73 de Paul OE8PCK

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Pete's board is the same circuit as Tony's USB to I2C adapter, so just link the PTT output (5V) to the PTT IN on the main v6.3 RXTX board. Its the only signal that is not taken directly to the PCB through the existing interconnecting headers.
                        >
                        > Using the USB controlled PTT gives full compatibility with all of the SDR programs.
                        >
                        > 73, Bob G8VOI

                      • g8voip
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                          Hi Paul,

                          The 'MOX' button on the PSDR screen will key up the PTT via the USB port for transmitting.

                          If you use Christos SV1EIA's PSDR v1.19.3.15, it has the nice feature that one of the CW paddle key inputs is used in SSB mode to act as a PTT switch, so you can simply wire up a normal hand mic and operate as if you were using a conventional transceiver, much nicer than having to use the mouse to click on the screen button.

                          I have all of my SDR transceivers wired up with a front panel socket to use a standard 4 pin Icom 600 ohm dynamic mic, as well as a toggle switch in parallel for long overs :), works very well.

                          73, Bob G8VOI

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "oe8pck" <oe8pck@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you both for the info. I am not quite clear what you mean by usb controlled PTT. Does this mean that I do not need to manually switch the PTT with 5 to 12Volts but can switch using the PSDR software. I intend to use SSB but cannot find a PTT button on the PSDR screen. Sorry to be such a pain but I am so near now.
                          > 73 de Paul OE8PCK
                          >
                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi,
                          > >
                          > > Pete's board is the same circuit as Tony's USB to I2C adapter, so just link the PTT output (5V) to the PTT IN on the main v6.3 RXTX board. Its the only signal that is not taken directly to the PCB through the existing interconnecting headers.
                          > >
                          > > Using the USB controlled PTT gives full compatibility with all of the SDR programs.
                          > >
                          > > 73, Bob G8VOI

                        • oe8pck
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 30, 2011
                            Hi Bob, Thank you very much for your help. I would like to talk to you via Skype. I promise not to keep you too long. I think I have sent a request once but I do not know how often you are on. If this is possible my skype name is oe8pck. I am an ex G and was crated in 1948.
                            73 de Paul

                            > Hi Paul,
                            >
                            > The 'MOX' button on the PSDR screen will key up the PTT via the USB port for transmitting.
                            >
                            > If you use Christos SV1EIA's PSDR v1.19.3.15, it has the nice feature that one of the CW paddle key inputs is used in SSB mode to act as a PTT switch, so you can simply wire up a normal hand mic and operate as if you were using a conventional transceiver, much nicer than having to use the mouse to click on the screen button.
                            >
                            > I have all of my SDR transceivers wired up with a front panel socket to use a standard 4 pin Icom 600 ohm dynamic mic, as well as a toggle switch in parallel for long overs :), works very well.
                            >
                            > 73, Bob G8VOI
                            >

                            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "oe8pck" <oe8pck@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Thank you both for the info. I am not quite clear what you mean by usb controlled PTT. Does this mean that I do not need to manually switch the PTT with 5 to 12Volts but can switch using the PSDR software. I intend to use SSB but cannot find a PTT button on the PSDR screen. Sorry to be such a pain but I am so near now.
                            > > 73 de Paul OE8PCK
                            > >
                            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi,
                            > > >
                            > > > Pete's board is the same circuit as Tony's USB to I2C adapter, so just link the PTT output (5V) to the PTT IN on the main v6.3 RXTX board. Its the only signal that is not taken directly to the PCB through the existing interconnecting headers.
                            > > >
                            > > > Using the USB controlled PTT gives full compatibility with all of the SDR programs.
                            > > >
                            > > > 73, Bob G8VOI

                          • oe8pck
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                              I would like to thank Alan and Bob for the patience and expertise they hav shown. This morning I have managed to get the TX working as well. now I am going to look at the signal to make sure all is clean. Also Tony and Pete should be thanked for excellent kits. I am t´ruely grateful for all your efforts!!!
                              73 de Paul OE8PCK.
                              P.S. I hope that i am now in a position to help others.

                            • aa9wqham@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                                After you have pressed the mox button the space bar will also key and unkey the PTT(handy for leaning back in the chair)

                                Larry W9AMR

                                In a message dated 1/30/2011 5:53:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, g8voi.reeves59@... writes:

                                Hi Paul,

                                The 'MOX' button on the PSDR screen will key up the PTT via the USB port for transmitting.

                                If you use Christos SV1EIA's PSDR v1.19.3.15, it has the nice feature that one of the CW paddle key inputs is used in SSB mode to act as a PTT switch, so you can simply wire up a normal hand mic and operate as if you were using a conventional transceiver, much nicer than having to use the mouse to click on the screen button.

                                I have all of my SDR transceivers wired up with a front panel socket to use a standard 4 pin Icom 600 ohm dynamic mic, as well as a toggle switch in parallel for long overs :), works very well.

                                73, Bob G8VOI

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "oe8pck" <oe8pck@...> wrote:

                                > Thank you both for the info. I am not quite clear what you mean by usb controlled PTT. Does this mean that I do not need to manually switch the PTT with 5 to 12Volts but can switch using the PSDR software. I intend to use SSB but cannot find a PTT button on the PSDR screen. Sorry to be such a pain but I am so near now.
                                > 73 de Paul OE8PCK
                                >
                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi,
                                > >
                                > > Pete's board is the same circuit as Tony's USB to I2C adapter, so just link the PTT output (5V) to the PTT IN on the main v6.3 RXTX board. Its the only signal that is not taken directly to the PCB through the existing interconnecting headers.
                                > >
                                > > Using the USB controlled PTT gives full compatibility with all of the SDR programs.
                                > >
                                > > 73, Bob G8VOI

                              • oe8pck
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  Tnx Larry, I have now hooked the ptt direct to the Mike PTT.
                                  Does nayone know how I can adjust the S meter reading with PSDR v 1.19.3.15. It is showing signals above 59 all the time.

                                  73 de Paul OE8PCK

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, aa9wqham@... wrote:

                                  > After you have pressed the mox button the space bar will also key and
                                  > unkey the PTT(handy for leaning back in the chair)
                                  >
                                  > Larry W9AMR
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 1/30/2011 5:53:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  > g8voi.reeves59@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > Hi Paul,
                                  >
                                  > The 'MOX' button on the PSDR screen will key up the PTT via the USB port
                                  > for transmitting.
                                  >
                                  > If you use Christos SV1EIA's PSDR v1.19.3.15, it has the nice feature that
                                  > one of the CW paddle key inputs is used in SSB mode to act as a PTT
                                  > switch, so you can simply wire up a normal hand mic and operate as if you were
                                  > using a conventional transceiver, much nicer than having to use the mouse to
                                  > click on the screen button.
                                  >
                                  > I have all of my SDR transceivers wired up with a front panel socket to
                                  > use a standard 4 pin Icom 600 ohm dynamic mic, as well as a toggle switch in
                                  > parallel for long overs :), works very well.
                                  >
                                  > 73, Bob G8VOI
                                  >
                                  > --- In _softrock40@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com) ,
                                  > "oe8pck" <oe8pck@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Thank you both for the info. I am not quite clear what you mean by usb
                                  > controlled PTT. Does this mean that I do not need to manually switch the PTT
                                  > with 5 to 12Volts but can switch using the PSDR software. I intend to use
                                  > SSB but cannot find a PTT button on the PSDR screen. Sorry to be such a
                                  > pain but I am so near now.
                                  > > 73 de Paul OE8PCK
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In _softrock40@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com) ,
                                  > "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hi,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Pete's board is the same circuit as Tony's USB to I2C adapter, so just
                                  > link the PTT output (5V) to the PTT IN on the main v6.3 RXTX board. Its
                                  > the only signal that is not taken directly to the PCB through the existing
                                  > interconnecting headers.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Using the USB controlled PTT gives full compatibility with all of the
                                  > SDR programs.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In _softrock40@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com)

                                • c.oawright
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
                                    Go to setup/calibration tab. Inject -70dbm signal at 10mhz (or change frequency) then start calibration.
                                    You can do the same for frequency and image calibration.

                                    Charles
                                    WB4HLW

                                  • John Williams
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
                                      How do you guys do this without a signal generator? Or does everyone need to have one to calibrate their software app?

                                      Any easy to build kits that can give us a calibrated signal in the HF bands? What about good used test equip models. Over 1000 hits on signal generator on ebay...

                                      Don't have a second receiver to sync with...

                                      John

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
                                        From: "John Williams"

                                        > How do you guys do this without a signal generator?

                                        If you want accurate calibration a calibrated generator is required.

                                        >Or does everyone
                                        > need to have one to calibrate their software app?

                                        No. It can be done by guesswork... Depends how fussy you are.

                                        > Any easy to build kits that can give us a calibrated signal in the HF
                                        > bands? What about good used test equip models. Over 1000 hits on signal
                                        > generator on ebay...

                                        There will not be many kits that don't need calibrating themselves. There is
                                        an Elecraft with, I think, a few fixed frequencies.

                                        Hopefully a good used generator will be close enough but is it worth while
                                        for just calibrating?

                                        It is preferable to have a generator of some sort for setting image
                                        rejection for some software. A relatively simple DDS or Si570 with divider
                                        could be used. I think many already have a transceiver.