Re: [softrock40] Earth loop with Softrock 6.3 - Experts opinion request

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      From: "praveen r"
      Subject: [softrock40] Earth loop with Softrock 6.3 - Experts opinion request

      > i read about the earth loop problems.
      > How can it be identified
      > How to avoid that without optocoupler and transformers ( as like ensemble
      > rxtx)

      From my page " One thing that is sometimes not expected is a "spike" in the
      centre of the SDR program's waterfall. This is normally obvious unless a
      very good soundcard is used.
      What should not be normal is a "mound" each side of this spike. The Softrock
      is very sensitive to ground loops (earth loops in UK!) and should be
      connected to the computer ground by just one link. Experiment, anything else
      that is connected to the Softrock may also ground to the computer in a way
      that is not obvious. For example a PSU may be grounded, in that case try
      just connecting the positive to the Softrock. An isolated PSU would be best.
      I usually find that the audio cable ground is the best, anything else
      connecting the Softrock to the computer has it's ground connection broken.
      It is best to get this right before putting the board in a case, when you do
      insulate any sockets put on a metal box so a ground loop is not introduced.
      Try to avoid making and breaking connections when power is applied."