Re: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RXTX SSB operation

  • Preston Douglas
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 2, 2011
      I agree with Bob's advice.  I happen to like PE1NNZ's PSDR-SR40 very much, and it is my favorite for Softrocks.  It works well with two sound cards and VAC 4.09 as well.  I use it to operate SSB as well as digital modes like WSPR and SSTV too.  It is quite stable as well.  Frankly, I fail to see the reason folks stay stuck with Rocky or Winrad, neither of which is supported or updated.

      Preston Douglas WJ2V

      Hi,

      Winrad and all of its spin off versions is receive only.

      Rocky is only capable of transmitting CW or PSK31.

      The only current Windows based program for transmitting SSB is one of the customised versions of PowerSDR.

      As you are using two separate sound cards you might find the version created by Guido PE1NNZ is more suited to that configuration, although it is based on an older FlexRadio release. Guido's program is called PSDR v1.9.0 sr40.

      The customised PSDR versions most people use are by Christos SV1EIA. There is the choice of his PSDR-IQ v1.12.20 or a demo version called PSDR v1.19.3.15 based on the Flex beta v2.0 software. Both work very well, and the beta does have a number of enhancements, however as it is only a beta release, very ocassionally the odd bug does occur. Having said that I have been runnig WSPR using v1.19.3.14 for close to a year, often for 10 or more hours a day and only have a small number of program crashes.

      A quick search using Google will find the sites to download those programs from.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jbboater" <jburke42@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have Rocky, Winrad, and HDSDR. How do I transmit SSB?
      >
      > I plan to use a PC headset with a michrophone. I also have the USB Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 Pro.
      >
      > I currently am receiving using the Sound Blaster and thought I should use the Sound Blaster Output for transmit I/Q signals.
      >
      > I plan to plug in my headset michrophone in to the laptop pc mike input.
      >
      > But, I don't know if Rocky will work with SSB and I am not sure how to set up either Rocky, Winrad, or HDSDR for SSB transmit.
      >
      > Any help is appreciated.

    • Preston Douglas
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 3, 2011
        John,

        We who have been through just what you're going through in the learning curve have to remember there will always be folks who are just starting out and patience is the ham's way.

        Don't worry about asking questions.  Do read the stuff, but we'll try to help too.

        WJ2V

        Preston Douglas