Re: [softrock40] Re: Tamura MET-46 transformer sources?

  • Brian Lloyd
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
      On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM, jbboater <jburke42@...> wrote:

      I plan to try an audio transformer as well. I am using a shielded audio cable and I plan to cut the wire in half, then solder the transformer between the two halves I just cut.

      However, I am not sure if I need to connect the shield wire from each half together. Seems to me, if I do, then I defeat the purpose of the isolation transformer (interrupting the ground loop).

      But, I really do not know. So, if someone might already know the answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

      Basically, do I leave the cut shield 'dangling' or do I connect them together?

      Leave the shields isolated. You are correct in thinking that reconnecting the shields would recreate your ground-loop.

      --
      Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
      3191 Western Dr.

    • jbboater
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
        THanks for the quick reply Brian,

        It just dawned on me, won't I need a transformer for the tip and a second transformer for the ring?

        If so, how do I connect the return or bottom of the transformer?

        I would think I would connect two wires to one side of the shield, and they would each connect to both return sides of the transformer.

        Not sure about this now that I'm about ready to cut and solder some wires...

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6rqn@...> wrote:

        > On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM, jbboater <jburke42@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I plan to try an audio transformer as well. I am using a shielded audio
        > > cable and I plan to cut the wire in half, then solder the transformer
        > > between the two halves I just cut.
        > >
        > > However, I am not sure if I need to connect the shield wire from each half
        > > together. Seems to me, if I do, then I defeat the purpose of the isolation
        > > transformer (interrupting the ground loop).
        > >
        > > But, I really do not know. So, if someone might already know the answer, I
        > > would greatly appreciate it.
        > >
        > > Basically, do I leave the cut shield 'dangling' or do I connect them
        > > together?
        > >
        > Leave the shields isolated. You are correct in thinking that reconnecting
        > the shields would recreate your ground-loop.
        >
        > --
        > Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
        > 3191 Western Dr.
        > Cameron Park, CA 95682
        > brian@...
        > +1.767.617.1365 (Dominica)
        > +1.931.492.6776 (USA)
        > (+1.931.4.WB6RQN)

      • Brian Lloyd
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2011
          On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM, jbboater <jburke42@...> wrote:

          THanks for the quick reply Brian,

          It just dawned on me, won't I need a transformer for the tip and a second transformer for the ring?

          Yes. You want a separate transformer for both the I and Q channels.

          If so, how do I connect the return or bottom of the transformer?

          Both transformers will be connected the same way. The shield coming from the SoftRock will be shared by the primaries of the two transformers. The secondaries will share the shield going to your sound-card.

          I would think I would connect two wires to one side of the shield, and they would each connect to both return sides of the transformer.

          Yes.

          Not sure about this now that I'm about ready to cut and solder some wires...

          I think you have it.

          --
          Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
          3191 Western Dr.

        • jbboater
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2011
            Hi Brian,

            Thanks again for your help. I will give this a try today. In case someone else wonders which transformers I am using, based on the information I found, I am using the Radio Shack 420-1374 audio isolation transformer.

            Perhaps not the best, it was the quickest and easiest transformer to find locally.

            Thanks again,

            Jeff