Re: [softrock40] Two identical USB sound cards at the same time? (Windows XP)

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
      From: "Sivan"
      Subject: [softrock40] Two identical USB sound cards at the same time?
      (Windows XP)

      > Did anybody manage to get two identical USB sound cards to work at the
      > same time under Windows XP?

      I have two Creative SB24 Live! USB devices that work together.
      Windows identifies them as Creative Live! 24 Bit External(1) and (2)

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Sivan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
        I have the same cards. I'll double check to see if I can get both to work. Thanks a lot, Sivan

        > From: "Sivan"
        > Subject: [softrock40] Two identical USB sound cards at the same time?
        > (Windows XP)
        >

        > > Did anybody manage to get two identical USB sound cards to work at the
        > > same time under Windows XP?
        > >

        > I have two Creative SB24 Live! USB devices that work together.
        > Windows identifies them as Creative Live! 24 Bit External(1) and (2)
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • Sivan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
          Alan, which version of Windows are you using and which version of the driver? I upgraded to the latest drivers from Creative and I still have the same problem; the first card I insert works but the second does not.

          I am running on XP (SP3) and the driver is dated 5/16/2005.

          The creative web site has newer drivers, but only for Vista and Windows 7.

          Sivan

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
            From: "Sivan"
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Two identical USB sound cards at the same time?
            (Windows XP)

            > Alan, which version of Windows are you using and which version of the
            > driver? I upgraded to the latest drivers from Creative and I still have
            > the same problem; the first card I insert works but the second does not.
            >
            > I am running on XP (SP3)

            Ah!
            Same Windows but they seem to be using the generic USB drivers.
            Presumably I did not install the Creative drivers.
            Funny, but one I use for SDRServer and that works at 96KHz, receive only. I
            did not think the generic drivers would work at 96KHz.
            It says Microsoft - 1 July 2001 version 5.1.2535.0

            I think you will have to list and delete the Creative drivers to try the
            generic drivers. If you do not it will automatically re-install the Creative
            ones..

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • aa9wqham@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
              I have also ran 2 of the same sound cards. I have found that some cards won't allow it. Not all will allow it.

              Larry

              From: "Alan" <alan4alan@...>
              Sender: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 19:18:15 -0000
              To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Two identical USB sound cards at the same time? (Windows XP)

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
                Thanks Alan, I'll try to do that.

                I filed a support request on the Creative web site and got the response below response (no editing, just cut-and-paste). Didn't help me resolve the problem, but taught me something about the quality of Creative's drivers and support, as well as some important lessons in British spelling. Here it is:

                Dear Sivan,

                Thank you for writing in to Creative.

                With regards to your enquiry, I am sorry to inform you that we never recomment customers to use two sound card on one computer because there may be chrashes.

                Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

                If you still require assistance, please reply to this email and include any previous correspondence to ensure a quick response.

                Best Regards,

                Lerry
                Worldwide Customer Response
                Creative

                > From: "Sivan"
                > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Two identical USB sound cards at the same time?
                > (Windows XP)
                >

                > > Alan, which version of Windows are you using and which version of the
                > > driver? I upgraded to the latest drivers from Creative and I still have
                > > the same problem; the first card I insert works but the second does not.
                > >
                > > I am running on XP (SP3)
                >
                > Ah!
                > Same Windows but they seem to be using the generic USB drivers.
                > Presumably I did not install the Creative drivers.
                > Funny, but one I use for SDRServer and that works at 96KHz, receive only. I
                > did not think the generic drivers would work at 96KHz.
                > It says Microsoft - 1 July 2001 version 5.1.2535.0
                >
                > I think you will have to list and delete the Creative drivers to try the
                > generic drivers. If you do not it will automatically re-install the Creative
                > ones..
                >
                > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

              • Sivan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 3, 2011
                  This did the trick, thanks a lot!

                  It was VERY difficult to remove the Creative driver. The instructions from the Creative web site did not work, a driver removal program did not work (not completely), so eventually I resorted to erasing any trace of the USB product ID from the registry and from c:\windows.

                  This allowed Windows to treat the cards as new hardware and to attach the Microsoft drivers for them. Now I can indeed use the two cards simultaneously.

                  I'm now running two versions on WSPR on different bands using two Softrock receivers driven by an antenna splitter.

                  Sivan

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 3, 2011
                    From: "Sivan"
                    (Windows XP)

                    > It was VERY difficult to remove the Creative driver.

                    Well done! I did not think it would be easy.
                    I expect it only works at 16 bits but the Windows driver is better than
                    Creative if you want to run two of them. I wonder what is the limit to the
                    number of cards.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Sivan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011

                      > Well done! I did not think it would be easy.
                      > I expect it only works at 16 bits but the Windows driver is better than
                      > Creative if you want to run two of them. I wonder what is the limit to the
                      > number of cards.
                      >
                      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      If I remember correctly, the 16-bit versus 24-bit was the reason that I installed the Creative drivers in the first place. If somebody knows whether this really makes a difference, I'll be happy to hear about it.

                      The two copies of WSPR produces spots that seemed pretty normal to me, compared to earlier nights, and with a similar geographic range. So I don't think that switching the drivers has a bad effect on WSPR. Maybe WSPR only reads 16 bits; I can check.

                      Sivan
                    • G3RIR
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                        I have just completed a Softrock Lite II and used the band specific
                        components for 30m but I intend to use it on the IF of my TS2000. The IF is
                        10.695 MHz but an article I have found by K4DSP suggests setting the
                        Softrock at 10.680 MHz to avoid a "DC hump".

                        I have left one turn off the band-pass filter coil in the Softrock so that
                        the band pass moves up a little from 10.1 MHz (30m band). I have also built
                        a QRP2000 which has an Si570. I intend to disable the xtal oscillator in the
                        Softrock and inject the QRP2000 signal into the divider of the Softrock.

                        I understand that the way that the Softrock works "normally" for 30m is that
                        the xtal is on 13.5 MHz which when divided by 4 in the divider is 3.375 MHz
                        but this is rich in harmonics so the 3rd harmonic at 10.125 MHz is available
                        which of course is in the 30m band and this is injected into the mixer.

                        Now my question; the QRP2000 is capable of a very wide range of frequencies
                        and before I go "chasing my tail" which frequency should I use?

                        One possibility is to set it to 14.240 MHz so that dividing by 4 and
                        multiplying by 3 gives me 10.68 and this would be very similar to the
                        "basic" 30m setup. But it would seem to me better to set the QRP2000 to
                        42.72 MHz and this gives 10.68 from the divider and not relying on the
                        presence of harmonics.

                        One significant problem with the 14.24 MHz setting is that is well inside
                        the 20m band and the divided by 4 frequency of 3.56 MHz is within the 80m
                        band. I know that I will not use an antenna on the Softrock as it be
                        connected (via a buffer) to the IF of the TS2000 but I still suspect big 20m
                        signals to be picked up.

                        So what do the gurus think?

                        I have already built a Softrock for 80m and it is outstandingly good.

                        73

                        HNY to Tony Parks and to all

                        Neil, G3RIR
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                          From: "G3RIR"
                          Subject: [softrock40] Softrock frequency for 10.680 MHz

                          >I have just completed a Softrock Lite II and used the band specific
                          > components for 30m but I intend to use it on the IF of my TS2000. The IF
                          > is
                          > 10.695 MHz but an article I have found by K4DSP suggests setting the
                          > Softrock at 10.680 MHz to avoid a "DC hump".

                          It should be no more than just a spike, but yes, this is the usual way of
                          doing it.

                          >But it would seem to me better to set the QRP2000 to
                          > 42.72 MHz and this gives 10.68 from the divider and not relying on the
                          > presence of harmonics.

                          This is the normal way with Si570 Softrocks.
                          The "subharmonic" way is used when the requirement would be for crystals on
                          unusually high fundamentals.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • Tony Parks
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                            Hi Neil,

                            The 14.089 MHz crystal provided in the Lite II Combined kit may be used to give a 1/3 sub-harmonic sampled center frequency of about 10.56 MHz.   With 96kHz soundcard sampling the band coverage would be from about 10.51 MHz to 10.61 MHz.  Not sure, but would this cover your IF band?

                            The QSD circuit is sensitive to odd harmonic signals and the response to the 3rd harmonic of its clocking frequency is only down about 4 dB from the fundamental response.

                            Tony Parks
                            kb9yig@...
                            http://www.kb9yig.com

                            On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 09:24 +0000, G3RIR wrote:

[...]

                          • Dave - WB6DHW
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 4, 2011
                              Neil:
                              Much better to set it to 42.72 MHz. If you set it to 14,24m the receiver
                              will receive 3.56 MHz better than your IF frequency. The original reason for
                              the harmonic mixing was that 42 MHz crystals are either hard to find or are
                              expensive.

                              Dave - WB6DHW
                              <http://wb6dhw.com>

                              On 1/4/2011 1:24 AM, G3RIR wrote:
                              > I have just completed a Softrock Lite II and used the band specific
                              > components for 30m but I intend to use it on the IF of my TS2000. The IF is
                              > 10.695 MHz but an article I have found by K4DSP suggests setting the
                              > Softrock at 10.680 MHz to avoid a "DC hump".
                              >
                              > I have left one turn off the band-pass filter coil in the Softrock so that
                              > the band pass moves up a little from 10.1 MHz (30m band). I have also built
                              > a QRP2000 which has an Si570. I intend to disable the xtal oscillator in the
                              > Softrock and inject the QRP2000 signal into the divider of the Softrock.
                              >
                              > I understand that the way that the Softrock works "normally" for 30m is that
                              > the xtal is on 13.5 MHz which when divided by 4 in the divider is 3.375 MHz
                              > but this is rich in harmonics so the 3rd harmonic at 10.125 MHz is available
                              > which of course is in the 30m band and this is injected into the mixer.
                              >
                              > Now my question; the QRP2000 is capable of a very wide range of frequencies
                              > and before I go "chasing my tail" which frequency should I use?
                              >
                              > One possibility is to set it to 14.240 MHz so that dividing by 4 and
                              > multiplying by 3 gives me 10.68 and this would be very similar to the
                              > "basic" 30m setup. But it would seem to me better to set the QRP2000 to
                              > 42.72 MHz and this gives 10.68 from the divider and not relying on the
                              > presence of harmonics.
                              >
                              > One significant problem with the 14.24 MHz setting is that is well inside
                              > the 20m band and the divided by 4 frequency of 3.56 MHz is within the 80m
                              > band. I know that I will not use an antenna on the Softrock as it be
                              > connected (via a buffer) to the IF of the TS2000 but I still suspect big 20m
                              > signals to be picked up.
                              >
                              > So what do the gurus think?
                              >
                              > I have already built a Softrock for 80m and it is outstandingly good.
                              >
                              > 73
                              >
                              > HNY to Tony Parks and to all
                              >
                              > Neil, G3RIR

                            • lbeugnet
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 5, 2011
                                Le 04/01/2011 20:50, Dave - WB6DHW a écrit :
                                > 42 MHz crystals are either hard to find or are
                                > expensive.

                                They were quartz for old frequencies for radiocommand planes or boats...
                                Take a look around this hobby... ;-)

                                73 Laurent F6GOX