Rocky and SR-40

  • windy10605@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2005
      Hi Alex,

      I'm still trying to get the Rocky code to run with this Santa Cruz sound
      card since Rocky requires so much less CPU power when compared to the
      PowerSDR (which runs fine) and I'd very much like to have a "portable"
      SR-40. How do I tell the difference between the V1.02 and earlier
      versions ? The downloads I have made all look the same ?

      73 Kees K5BCQ
    • Alex, VE3NEA
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2005
        Hi Kees,

        The version number is shown in the About box.

        73 Alex VE3NEA

        > I'm still trying to get the Rocky code to run with this Santa Cruz sound
        > card since Rocky requires so much less CPU power when compared to the
        > PowerSDR (which runs fine) and I'd very much like to have a "portable"
        > SR-40. How do I tell the difference between the V1.02 and earlier
        > versions ? The downloads I have made all look the same ?
        >
        > 73 Kees K5BCQ
      • josephlevy
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2005
          Hello to Alex and all

          Tried version 1.02,results:

          Signal saturates at appr. 40 db mark (96 or 48 khz)
          (By the way the center spur(dc freq.) is approximatley 45 db on the
          graticule and the noise is 0 to 5 db)

          NO I/Q automatic action (there is no action on the Phase and Gain
          displays and no change of the images that are 1/1 on both sides of
          the center dc freq.)

          Tried I/Q and Q/I withh no apparent change.

          The gain setting for line input on the mixer have no control on the
          levels (so I thought it may be at max gain all the time with no
          control so added a 20 db resistor attenuator on the line
          inputs,didn't change a thing, signal still saturates at same approx.
          S 7-8 level.

          The same exact setup works fine on PowerSDR SharpDsp and SDradio.

          The soundcard is a Creative audigy 2 NX (USB)

          Tried it on a IMic (also USB) same results.

          Well,I'll wait some more...
          73 de Joe.
        • josephlevy
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2005
            Hello to Alex and all...

            I beleive the driver you use for the Creative Audigy 2 NX (USB) is
            treating the input as MONO (or rather a mix of the I and Q channels.)

            Made sure it's the case by feeding only one channel at a time.

            Hopefully that and the windows mixer that does'nt change the level of
            the signal when the slider is moved all the way may help you pinpoint
            the reason this USB card does'nt work properly (it does work ok with
            other software packages but they use different drivers.)

            73 de Joe
          • windy10605@juno.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
              Just thinking again............

              Since the Rocky program compensates for and corrects phase and amplitude
              errors, has anyone tried to see if it's sufficient to where you can
              remove the first divide by 2 FF ahead of the Tayloe detector (which was
              in there to "guarantee" a 50% duty cycle for proper quadrature) ? That
              would double your DDS range.

              73 Kees K5BCQ
            • James E. Gutshall
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005

                Does any one know the shipping status of the softrock 5.0 kits?

              • KD5NWA
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
                  I've been working on a different way of generating a Quadrature clock
                  for the SR-5 without having to change components over a wide
                  frequency range. So far on Spice I can get very close to 90 degree
                  (within +-4 degrees) quadrature from 3.5MHz to 29.5 MHz without any
                  component changes. But this is a Spice simulation, sometimes reality
                  hits you on the head.

                  I will need to wire it up and see if it really works, I'll order the
                  components in the next day or two. It is not a major component change
                  compared to the present way so there are no additional chips to put
                  in. But a -5 Volt supply is needed at very little current.

                  Where it might get in trouble is if the oscillator does not put out a
                  sine wave, which is not a problem if you are using a DDS board to
                  generate the clock.

                  At 11:43 AM 12/1/2005, you wrote:
                  >Just thinking again............
                  >
                  >Since the Rocky program compensates for and corrects phase and amplitude
                  >errors, has anyone tried to see if it's sufficient to where you can
                  >remove the first divide by 2 FF ahead of the Tayloe detector (which was
                  >in there to "guarantee" a 50% duty cycle for proper quadrature) ? That
                  >would double your DDS range.
                  >
                  >73 Kees K5BCQ
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Cecil Bayona
                  KD5NWA
                  www.qrpradio.com

                  I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
                  same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
                  only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...
                • Michael Blake
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
                    And even more importantly (to me) what about the QXE board.  I am really anxious Tony :-)

                    73 - Mike - K9JRI

                  • brainerd@bmi.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
                      I have a Tayloe Detector board that uses an exclusice OR in place of the first FF.
                      When fed with one output of the IQ VFO (a AD9854), works great with SDR software
                      and Rocky at 2X freq. Can get opposite sideband supression of 55 - 60 db.

                      Dave - WB6DHW

                      On 1 Dec 2005 at 11:43, windy10605@... wrote:

                      > Just thinking again............
                      >
                      > Since the Rocky program compensates for and corrects phase and amplitude
                      > errors, has anyone tried to see if it's sufficient to where you can
                      > remove the first divide by 2 FF ahead of the Tayloe detector (which was
                      > in there to "guarantee" a 50% duty cycle for proper quadrature) ? That
                      > would double your DDS range.
                      >
                      > 73 Kees K5BCQ
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bill Dumke
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
                        Is the Exclusive OR to correct the duty cycle like with the QRP-2001?

                        Bill WB5TCO