Using Ensemble RXTX

  • g3vfp
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi guys.

      I must say I am having fun with the ensemble rxtx. I recently changed soundcards because my firewire Behringer unit whilst excellent, only had two input, and output channels and I hadn't liked using the VAC so went to the M Audio Delta 44 which I purchased at a reasonable price on Ebay :-). Anyhow immediately I had it running in XP on my Asus K8V motherboard I noticed very high imd levels on the base line with strong signals anywhere on the band which I couldn't shift by reducing the input levels to the board, or changing the sampling from 96Khz to 48Khz etc. I also noticed what looked like oscillations below the pan display baseline. I was using the latest driver from M Audio, and after some searching it looked like there may be a problem when using the Delta 44 on some motherboards or types of Windoze platforms. So I found driver version 5.10.00.0048. Completely removed all traces of the other driver, and installed that. The difference was remarkable, a very clean looking pan display, with no sign of any intermod, or the strange oscillations. Since then I have had a few qrp qso's with it on both cw, and ssb...such great fun :-). There may have been references before concerning this issue with the M Audio Delta 44, but I couldn't find them when I did a search of the database, so thought it worth commenting on.

      Cheers

      Dave G3VFP
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        From: "g3vfp"
        Subject: [softrock40] Using Ensemble RXTX

        >There may have been references before concerning this issue with the M
        >Audio Delta 44, but I couldn't find them when I did a search of the
        >database, so thought it worth commenting on.

        Dave, Yes this came up a while ago I'd have thought they would have
        rectified it by now.
        I did a test maybe a year back. I found that just running the M-Audio
        installation was all that was needed to go back to earlier drivers. That way
        did leave the new control panel, I thought it had not worked.
        People often say "use the latest driver" but this seems to be more "if it
        ain't broke".

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        This chap seems to have gone into some depth, I don't know if he tried
        earlier drivers..

        SM5BSZ's page detailing problems with soundcards on newer computers and
        operating systems. Cards like the Delta 44 may not work properly.
        http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/run/snd-compat/snd-compat.htm He even goes
        into screening and filtering the computer and modifying a Delta 44 for best
        performance! http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/hware/delta44.htm
      • g3vfp
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
          Okay Alan.

          FB, well I must say I like having the four i/o's If my Behringer had 4 I would never have changed it. It's true though as you say, and I work on that principle "if it aint broke don't fix it", but them I'm a grumpy ol G3 so what can you expect :-). I ended up with the old control panel which whilst having slider adjustments of course, they don't affect the levels at all. Not sure whether that is purposeful when using it with PowerSDR SR40 or not, but in practice it isn't proving to be a problem. I have just made a new breakout box like the one done some time back using 3.5mm jacks as I always have them in abundance here. Onward and upward I guess :-).

          Cheers

          Dave G3VFP

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
            From: "g3vfp"
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Using Ensemble RXTX

            > I ended up with the old control panel which whilst having slider
            > adjustments of course, they don't affect the levels at all.

            If you use the D44 as a supported card PSDR sets it up automatically.
            You may usually select the mixer in the "Patchbay/Router" but in the version
            I have it actually adds 90° to the phase of one channel making it useless!
            And it then is also possible to feed back the inputs to the outputs, best
            left alone!
            In any case it is possibly best to have a minimum of adjustments, I've never
            checked but when adjusting level controls I wonder how precise the steps are
            in each channel. Maybe it is best to do IQ balance again?

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • g3vfp
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
              Hi Alan

              Yep of course I understand that fine, it is set up as a supported card, so that explains it :-). I did carry out the IQ balance when I ran it up, and it adjusted without any problem at all, and is working absolutely okay running at 96Khz sampling. I like PSDR I must say.

              Cheers

              Dave G3VFP