SR6.1, DDS-60 and WA6UFQ parallel port DDS Controller

  • longjohn119
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      Mounted in an aluminum Radio Shack box. I used this as a 40M-80M receiver mainly for fishing and camping. Unfortunately neither my current shack computer nor my new boat computer ( http://netbook2chartplotter.blogspot.com ) has a parallel port. The only decent machine I have left with a parallel port is the 2Ghz P4 laptop in my lab.

      Since the WA6UFQ parallel port DDS Controller/ DDS-60 combination can do sweeps and such it's obviously useful for testing, sweeping/ aligning filters, etc. I hate to waste the SR6.1 though and it seems to me it too could be used for testing. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like that and if there are any good sources of info out there on adapting a Softrock into a test instrument
    • Rob Frohne
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        Hi,

        It seems I remember that N2PK added some software to Rocky to use an RXTX unit as a vector network analyzer.  Maybe you should have a look at that.  You might have a look at Tom, DG8SAQ's VNWA as well.

        73,

        Rob
        KL7NA

        --
        Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
        E.F. Cross School of Engineering

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010

          Subject: [softrock40] SR6.1, DDS-60 and WA6UFQ parallel port DDS Controller

          > Unfortunately neither my current shack computer nor my new boat computer
          > ( http://netbook2chartplotter.blogspot.com ) has a parallel port. The only
          > decent machine I have left with a parallel port is the 2Ghz P4 laptop in
          > my lab.

          For anyone who uses a computer with older hardware it is still possible to
          get full-spec motherboards with both parallel and serial ports. Both
          full-size and mini ITX are available.
          The only "problem" is getting it built although if anyone can make a
          Softrock and get it going they should be able to build a computer.
          I understand that proper USB/LPT adaptors are available but all I have seen
          are just intended for printers.
          Of course internal cards are available.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
            Look at the Atom boards. They have on board parallel ports and two serial
            ports. True they need dongles to get the ports into the backplane. They
            work very well however. Now they are available with dual cores and
            hyperthreading. The power requirements are very low and with a mini ATX
            format they can be placed in small boxes. Finaly they cost less than $100
            (US).
            Jerry NO2T

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
              From: "Jerry"
              Subject: Re: [softrock40] SR6.1, DDS-60 and WA6UFQ parallel port DDS
              Controller

              > Look at the Atom boards.

              I have an Asus/Atom. It has one parallel and one serial connector already
              fitted. Others have facilities for a second serial. These will make a good
              computer for home SDR use.