Re: [softrock40] Re: QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer - Unknown Device (USB)

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
      Thanks Alan.
      73
      Dan
      YO3GGX
      WebSDR: http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/

      On 12/1/2010 9:38 AM, Alan wrote:

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Dan"
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer - Unknown
      Device (USB)

      >, there is any place where I can buy a
      > pre-programed AVR chip with the new firmware to replace the old one?

      http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/

      with v15.12 firmware.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
        Hi Alan,

        They are 2 types available:

        ATTINY45-20 and ATTINY85-20.
        Only the second is with Fred's V15.12 software.
        The one in QRP2000 is ATTINY45-20.

        Which one do you recommend to order?

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
          Dan,
          The only important difference between the 2 chips is their internal
          ROM size. The later firmware has grown past the limits of the 45, so
          order the ATTINY85-20 with the latest firmware.

          Bill
          vr2ef/k6iho

          Dan wrote:
          > Hi Alan,
          >
          > They are 2 types available:
          >
          > ATTINY45-20 and ATTINY85-20.
          > Only the second is with Fred's V15.12 software.
          > The one in QRP2000 is ATTINY45-20.
          >
          > Which one do you recommend to order?
          >
          > 73
          > Dan
          > YO3GGX
          > WebSDR: http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
            Hi Bill,

            Thanks.

            Dan wrote:
            > Hi Alan,
            >
            > They are 2 types available:
            >
            > ATTINY45-20 and ATTINY85-20.
            > Only the second is with Fred's V15.12 software.
            > The one in QRP2000 is ATTINY45-20.
            >
            > Which one do you recommend to order?
            >
            > 73
            > Dan
            > YO3GGX
            > WebSDR: http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
              Hi,

              I have finalized the USB LO from RXTX Ensemble (equiped with the new chip/firmware).
              The problem is the same so no hope for me to solve it in the QRP2000 by just changing the USB chip...:-(

              73
              Dan
              YO3GGX
              WebSDR http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/

              On 11/30/2010 11:39 PM, g8voip wrote:

              Hi Dan,

              You might not see the same problem with the Ensemble, as that uses Fred PE0FKO's upgraded version of the AVR firmware, where the QRP2000 USB Synth still uses the original DG8SAQ v1.4 firmware, which does have an odd bug in it.

              I have swapped the firmware in the couple of USB synths I have here to Fred's version and not had any problem.

              I actually used one of my modified USB synths as the test bed for all of the beta firmware testing Ihave done for Fred since v15.09.

              73, Bob G8VOI

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                From: "Dan"
                Device (USB)

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have finalized the USB LO from RXTX Ensemble (equiped with the new
                > chip/firmware).
                > The problem is the same so no hope for me to solve it in the QRP2000 by
                > just changing the USB chip...:-(

                You seem to have my problem No 2:-

                >2) Sometimes another USB device blocks the detection of the Softrock
                >device.
                Other than pulling out that device there seems no solution. Most seem to
                find that once the Softrock driver has been installed it is best to startup
                with the Softrock connected and switched on.

                If you do not attempt to solve it there is no hope.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                  Hi Alan,

                  I will try to pull out the PC tomorrow to check which device conflicts with Softrock.

                  73
                  Dan
                  YO3GGX

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                    Hi Alan,

                    Something else interesting.
                    If I try to click on Reboot (Si570 TAB in CFGSR_V1.3.exe) I have the same issue.
                    The device is no more recognized and I have to restart the PC.

                    73
                    Dan
                    YO3GGX

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
                      Hi,

                      I have tried during the weekend to extract all other USB devices (around 8) and check that the RXTX Ensemble and QRP2000 are recognised by Windows XP with a positive result.
                      Then adding USB devices one by one to find who is the conflicting one.
                      The answer is: the USB KVM switch (ATEN using a Logitech USB keyboard and a VX Nano cordless mouse). If this is not connected when the Softrock is connected, then it is recognized each time when plugged without problems.
                      The same happen with both Softrock and QRP2000, so fore sure a different type/version of firmware does not help.

                      It seems for me that the USB to I2C chip/firmware has some incompatibilities most probable with the USB mouse, even at the current version of firmware.