QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer - Unknown Device (USB)

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
      Hi,

      I have build the QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer from
      www.sdr-kits.net (with the CMOS version of SI570) in order to use it as
      a LO for a Softrock Lite II receiver.
      It works perfect from 3.45MHz to 265MHz, but I have one annoying
      problem. The USB device is recognised by the PC only if the device is
      connected to the USB port before PC startup.
      If I disconnect it and then reconnect, it appears as Unknown Device till
      the next PC restart.

      I really have no idea what can it be.
      Someone here can help?

      73
      Dan
      YO3GGX
      WebSDR: http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/
    • Roelof Bakker
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
        Hello Dan,

        I'm afraid I can't help you with this problem.

        On an other note, I have a similar problem with a EMU 0202 USB external
        soundcard.
        Under Windows XP the PC freezes on start up and will only proceed further
        when the EMU is switched of with the hardware power switch. I have tried
        all advice available, including

        It does start up under Winder 7 32 bit, but only as USB 1.1 device. Again
        switching it on and off with the power switch on the front panel let it
        start as USB 2.0 device. It is an excellent sound card, but these start up
        problems are a bit annoying.
        I have tried all advice available, including the most recent Windows 7
        drivers from EMU, but alas, no joy.

        Hence I followed your advice, given last week, and purchased a ASUS Xonar
        D1 internal soundcard. It works very well with my RX LF Ensemble once the
        ASIO drivers are used. This is also the case with the EMU 0202 USB.

        I use the RX LF Ensemble for weak signal work at longwave and the ASUS
        card seems to be able to copy the weak ones as good as the EMU 0202.

        73,
        Roelof, pa0rdt
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
          Hi Roelof,

          Great that you are satisfied with the Asus. For me is useless as I need it in Linux for the WebSDR and I cannot use it because some incompatibilities with other cards.
          Anyway, the majority of WebSDR servers around here are using the Asus with very good results.

          I'm in the process of building the RxTx Ensemble with a similar USB controlled Oscillator as in QRP2000.
          I will see soon if the problem is the same.

          On 11/30/2010 11:07 PM, Roelof Bakker wrote:
          > Hello Dan,
          >
          > I'm afraid I can't help you with this problem.
          >
          > On an other note, I have a similar problem with a EMU 0202 USB external
          > soundcard.
          > Under Windows XP the PC freezes on start up and will only proceed further
          > when the EMU is switched of with the hardware power switch. I have tried
          > all advice available, including
          >
          > It does start up under Winder 7 32 bit, but only as USB 1.1 device. Again
          > switching it on and off with the power switch on the front panel let it
          > start as USB 2.0 device. It is an excellent sound card, but these start up
          > problems are a bit annoying.
          > I have tried all advice available, including the most recent Windows 7
          > drivers from EMU, but alas, no joy.
          >
          > Hence I followed your advice, given last week, and purchased a ASUS Xonar
          > D1 internal soundcard. It works very well with my RX LF Ensemble once the
          > ASIO drivers are used. This is also the case with the EMU 0202 USB.
          >
          > I use the RX LF Ensemble for weak signal work at longwave and the ASUS
          > card seems to be able to copy the weak ones as good as the EMU 0202.
          >
          > 73,
          > Roelof, pa0rdt

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
            Hi Dan,

            You might not see the same problem with the Ensemble, as that uses Fred PE0FKO's upgraded version of the AVR firmware, where the QRP2000 USB Synth still uses the original DG8SAQ v1.4 firmware, which does have an odd bug in it.

            I have swapped the firmware in the couple of USB synths I have here to Fred's version and not had any problem.

            I actually used one of my modified USB synths as the test bed for all of the beta firmware testing Ihave done for Fred since v15.09.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
                This also happens to me with the griffin powermate
                Philip g7jur

                > From: "Dan" <
                > Subject: [softrock40] QRP2000 USB-Controlled Synthesizer - Unknown Device
                > (USB)
                >

                > >I have one annoying
                > > problem. The USB device is recognised by the PC only if the device is
                > > connected to the USB port before PC startup.
                > > If I disconnect it and then reconnect, it appears as Unknown Device till
                > > the next PC restart.
                > >

                > This happens with me. OK if plugged in at startup.
                > After startup if I unplug the USB wireless mouse receiver then it recognises
                > the Softrock USB. This also happens if I have my USB weatherstation plugged
                > in.
                > Have you any other USB devices?
                >
                > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
                  Hi Alan,

                  I have a lot of USB devices on that system, but I cannot remove them easily as it is mounted in a special box.
                  In between I have tested on an Asus EEEPC901 with Windows XP and it seems to be recognized each time is unplugged/plugged.
                  Unfortunately the module will be used on the main PC and I need to find a solution.

                  > problem. The USB device is recognised by the PC only if the device is
                  > connected to the USB port before PC startup.
                  > If I disconnect it and then reconnect, it appears as Unknown Device till
                  > the next PC restart.

                  This happens with me. OK if plugged in at startup.
                  After startup if I unplug the USB wireless mouse receiver then it recognises
                  the Softrock USB. This also happens if I have my USB weatherstation plugged
                  in.
                  Have you any other USB devices?

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  \
                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
                    Hi Bob,

                    This is a very good information.
                    As I don't have a programmer, there is any place where I can buy a pre-programed AVR chip with the new firmware to replace the old one?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
                      > pre-programed AVR chip with the new firmware to replace the old one?

                      http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/

                      with v15.12 firmware.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                        Thanks Alan.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                          Hi Alan,

                          They are 2 types available:

                          ATTINY45-20 and ATTINY85-20.
                          Only the second is with Fred's V15.12 software.
                          The one in QRP2000 is ATTINY45-20.

                          Which one do you recommend to order?

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                            Dan,
                            The only important difference between the 2 chips is their internal
                            ROM size. The later firmware has grown past the limits of the 45, so
                            order the ATTINY85-20 with the latest firmware.

                            Bill
                            vr2ef/k6iho

                            Dan wrote:
                            > Hi Alan,
                            >
                            > They are 2 types available:
                            >
                            > ATTINY45-20 and ATTINY85-20.
                            > Only the second is with Fred's V15.12 software.
                            > The one in QRP2000 is ATTINY45-20.
                            >
                            > Which one do you recommend to order?
                            >
                            > 73
                            > Dan
                            > YO3GGX
                            > WebSDR: http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/

                          • Dan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                              Hi Bill,

                              Thanks.

                              Dan wrote:
                              > Hi Alan,
                              >
                              > They are 2 types available:
                              >
                              > ATTINY45-20 and ATTINY85-20.
                              > Only the second is with Fred's V15.12 software.
                              > The one in QRP2000 is ATTINY45-20.
                              >
                              > Which one do you recommend to order?
                              >
                              > 73
                              > Dan
                              > YO3GGX
                              > WebSDR: http://yo3ggx.1p.ro:8765/

                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                                Hi,

                                I have finalized the USB LO from RXTX Ensemble (equiped with the new chip/firmware).
                                The problem is the same so no hope for me to solve it in the QRP2000 by just changing the USB chip...:-(

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                                    Hi Alan,

                                    I will try to pull out the PC tomorrow to check which device conflicts with Softrock.

                                    73
                                    Dan
                                    YO3GGX

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                                      Hi Alan,

                                      Something else interesting.
                                      If I try to click on Reboot (Si570 TAB in CFGSR_V1.3.exe) I have the same issue.
                                      The device is no more recognized and I have to restart the PC.

                                      73
                                      Dan
                                      YO3GGX

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 6, 2010
                                        Hi,

                                        I have tried during the weekend to extract all other USB devices (around 8) and check that the RXTX Ensemble and QRP2000 are recognised by Windows XP with a positive result.
                                        Then adding USB devices one by one to find who is the conflicting one.
                                        The answer is: the USB KVM switch (ATEN using a Logitech USB keyboard and a VX Nano cordless mouse). If this is not connected when the Softrock is connected, then it is recognized each time when plugged without problems.
                                        The same happen with both Softrock and QRP2000, so fore sure a different type/version of firmware does not help.

                                        It seems for me that the USB to I2C chip/firmware has some incompatibilities most probable with the USB mouse, even at the current version of firmware.