USB driver install for Softrock Ensemble RX

  • dickallen
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 28, 2010
      I have a tested Ensemble RX from KB9YIG. I'm running Windows XP Professional under VmWare on a MacBook PRO. I've downloaded the PE0FKO.ExtIO_Si570 software and located the libusb0 and libusb0.dll files (now in the WinRad folder). In VMware, under the Virtual Machine menu for USB, I've selected connect www.obdev.at DG8SAQ-I2C, so the virtual machine sees the device.

      I installed the Amateur Radio certificate.

      When I try to install the driver files by plugging the softrock USB cable into the USB port to install the driver files, nothing happens (no Windows has detected a new USB device message).

      lso the device doesn't show up in Device Manager to allow me to update the driver.

      If I try to start WinRad, I get the message "Device open error--ISB Device "DG8saq-I2C" (p=0x05DC,v=0X1C60) not connected! Or wrong manaufacturer=www.obdev.at. serialnumber= "

      How can I install the driver?

      Thanks,
      Dick, AA6UZ
    • pe0fko
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 27, 2011
        The xtal speed from the internal RC oscillator is not that big problem.
        The inter RC is running on 8MHz and and drive a PLL to generate 16.5MHz to run the code. The PLL is synced by software with the USB signals of the USB master (PC), not that big problem.

        There is a problem with the at tiny avr chips and that is they are not designed (hardware and interrupt) to handle a USB signal's direct by hardware like a lot of the new avr (and other) microcontrolers.

        73, Fred
        PE0FKO

        2011/7/25 hrpch <hrpch@...>

        I've strugged with this issue for several days, since I was stumped in the process of building my kit at the stage where the driver needs to be installed. "USB device not recognized" failure !!!

        After considerable wild goose chasing, I've come to the conclusion it has to do with timing of the USB signals generated back from the ATTiny85. I remember a while back working with the PIC 18F14K50 and reading on the data sheet that, for USB, the microcontroller has to run on an external 48Mhz crystal-controlled clock instead of the internal oscillator, in order to meet the strict timing requirements of the USB protocol. Well, look at the ATTiny... it's running on an internal clock !!!!! (8Mhz). It's freqiuency drifts with temperature and voltage, according to the data sheet. It can be tweaked via firmware but there will still be variations from one device to another. That's why it works for some people but not for others, some of the time but not all the time. Sometimes it's on time, sometimes not.

        With all due respect to the Softrock designers, we have a design flaw here. There are not enough pins for an external xtal on the ATTiny... plus the other tasks. We need a different microcontroller that can handle USB more accurately. How about the PIC 18F14K50 ?