Another SoftRock 6.0 ready - and doing well

  • hb9duj
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006
      I am afraid that the forum is already full of happy people announcing
      proudly that they succeeded mounting the kit. But I cannot resist
      adding my own remarks after successfuly assembling the kit.

      It is really a great kit. I was very afraid of the of SMT/SOIC(I just
      soldered one SMT device in my life), but with good magnifying glasses,
      good lighting, fine soldering, a fine tip and drinking deccafeniated
      coffe during two days all went well. And especially thanks to the very
      clear instructions!

      The result is outstanding using the program Rocky, even on an old Dell
      (900 MHz PIII with on board sound card, about 40-50 % cpu used).
      Usually toy receivers are overloaded by a 500 Kw AM transmitter just
      12 milles from my QTH. But with the SoftRock I was able to decode SBB
      and CW without problems.
      Viewing the occupation of the band is very instructive too.

      A couple of things I learned:
      - It is VERY important to systematically checked for short cirtuits
      between pads. I case of doubt I used tooth picks to gently clean the
      area between two pads.
      - I found that I had to add 50C to the iron temperature (a Weller)
      when using a very fine tip, as the tip was probably not transfering
      heat as efficiently as a regular tip. The very fine tip was useful for
      the SOIC, but not so much for the SMT capacitor - the pads are not
      that small (however I learned to build watches long long time ago, so
      my perception of small may be biased).
      - If Rocky shows an image around the central frequency, there may be a
      very simple cause: I first pluged the input in the mike entry, which
      is monophonic. Using the aux entry solved the issue.
      - And naturally one must mute the output of the line out, otherwise
      your ears mix again what the SoftRock so painfully separated (don't
      laugh so loud... it happened to me!).

      73, thanks to Tony and all the people who contributed to this project.

      jean-marc HB9DUJ
    • Bill Tracey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006
        Jean-marc,

        No problem posting a success story ... always nice to hear from folks when
        they get it going. Sort of neat to have a little inexpensive kit to try
        out some surface mounted parts, and to play with some bleeding edge ham
        radio technology. Congratulations on getting it going.

        Cheers,

        Bill (kd5tfd)

        At 03:26 PM 6/5/2006, hb9duj wrote:
        >I am afraid that the forum is already full of happy people announcing
        >proudly that they succeeded mounting the kit. But I cannot resist
        >adding my own remarks after successfuly assembling the kit.

        <....>