Beware MS Wireless Mouse Upgrade... !

  • k2bet1
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
      For the interest of the group:
      I have just sent the following info to Christos but I thought it also might ward off problems for others using this periferal/software. If anyone knows of a fix please publish it on this thread. If there is non be careful with the invitation to upgrade the software/drivers for the MS Wireless Mouse!
      BTW, the scroll is working fine on this application in Firefox.
      ---

      Hi, Christos.

      I have recently 'upgraded' software and drivers for a Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard combination I use in Win 7 64 bit, OS. I find that the mouse wheel will no longer function to tune the frequency in PSDR V2.0 as it has in the past. I also see no settings which will restore this function to the PSDR program. Some of their info (MS Help) implies that the mouse wheel "is not supported in some software." I am experiencing similar issues with some other programs as well but not all.

      Are you aware of any fix for this within the structure of PSDR V2.0? If so could you respond with same to me and to our group? Thanks for your consideration and thanks for your work on the software.

      73 and Happy Holidays,

      Bruce, K2BET
      ----
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
        From: "k2bet1"
        Subject: [softrock40] Beware MS Wireless Mouse Upgrade... !

        > I have recently 'upgraded' software and drivers for a Microsoft wireless
        > mouse/keyboard combination I use in Win 7 64 bit, OS. I find that the
        > mouse wheel will no longer function to tune the frequency in PSDR V2.0 as
        > it has in the past. I also see no settings which will restore this
        > function to the PSDR program. Some of their info (MS Help) implies that
        > the mouse wheel "is not supported in some software." I am experiencing
        > similar issues with some other programs as well but not all.
        >
        > Are you aware of any fix for this within the structure of PSDR V2.0?

        In XP it is possible to roll back the driver in Device Manager.
        I'd think that should still apply.
        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
          Thanks, Alan. This feature is also available in Win 7 but it had no effect on the problem when I did that. I commanded the roll back and rebooted both the mouse RX/TX and the CPU. No joy!  I tried the mouse after this roll back on Simon's 'SDR Radio' and program and with that software it continues to work OK with the mouse wheel scrolling as usual. I have not yet tried with WinRad versions. I will continue to experiment with finding solutions....

          Bruce
          ---

          > I have recently 'upgraded' software and drivers for a Microsoft wireless
          > mouse/keyboard combination I use in Win 7 64 bit, OS. I find that the
          > mouse wheel will no longer function to tune the frequency in PSDR V2.0 as
          > it has in the past. I also see no settings which will restore this
          > function to the PSDR program. Some of their info (MS Help) implies that
          > the mouse wheel "is not supported in some software." I am experiencing
          > similar issues with some other programs as well but not all.
          >
          > Are you aware of any fix for this within the structure of PSDR V2.0?

          In XP it is possible to roll back the driver in Device Manager.
          I'd think that should still apply.
          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5645 (20101124) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Bruce Tanner

            > I have recently 'upgraded' software and drivers for a Microsoft wireless
            > mouse/keyboard combination I use in Win 7 64 bit, OS. I find that the
            > mouse wheel will no longer function to tune the frequency in PSDR V2.0 as
            > it has in the past. I also see no settings which will restore this
            > function to the PSDR program. Some of their info (MS Help) implies that
            > the mouse wheel "is not supported in some software." I am experiencing
            > similar issues with some other programs as well but not all.
            >
            > Are you aware of any fix for this within the structure of PSDR V2.0?

            In XP it is possible to roll back the driver in Device Manager.
            I'd think that should still apply.
            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5645 (20101124) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5645 (20101124) __________

            http://www.eset.com
        • Jose Bonanca
          Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
            What about restarting your computer? Have you thought of that?
            Regards.
            Note:- Some times I hear people that do the upgrades and forget to reboot. It is a good practice.

            > I have recently 'upgraded' software and drivers for a Microsoft wireless
            > mouse/keyboard combination I use in Win 7 64 bit, OS. I find that the
            > mouse wheel will no longer function to tune the frequency in PSDR V2.0 as
            > it has in the past. I also see no settings which will restore this
            > function to the PSDR program. Some of their info (MS Help) implies that
            > the mouse wheel "is not supported in some software." I am experiencing
            > similar issues with some other programs as well but not all.
            >
            > Are you aware of any fix for this within the structure of PSDR V2.0?

            In XP it is possible to roll back the driver in Device Manager.
            I'd think that should still apply.

            Jose (Ct1aos)
          • Bruce Tanner

                  --
                  Jose (Ct1aos)
                • Bruce Tanner

                    > I have recently 'upgraded' software and drivers for a Microsoft wireless
                    > mouse/keyboard combination I use in Win 7 64 bit, OS. I find that the
                    > mouse wheel will no longer function to tune the frequency in PSDR V2.0 as
                    > it has in the past. I also see no settings which will restore this
                    > function to the PSDR program. Some of their info (MS Help) implies that
                    > the mouse wheel "is not supported in some software." I am experiencing
                    > similar issues with some other programs as well but not all.
                    >
                    > Are you aware of any fix for this within the structure of PSDR V2.0?

                    In XP it is possible to roll back the driver in Device Manager.
                    I'd think that should still apply.

                    Jose (Ct1aos)

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5645 (20101124) __________

                    http://www.eset.com

                    --
                    Jose (Ct1aos)

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5646 (20101124) __________

                    http://www.eset.com
                  • g8voip
                    Message 10 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
                      Hi Bruce,

                      Not sure if your version of Windows has the same 'features' but take a look in the 'Settings' > 'Control Panel' and 'Mouse' section. In the advanced settings / properties there is a selection to have the mouse detect the prescence of a scroll whell automatically, or ignore it. Perhaps in the 'upgrade' this setting has been changed and the scroll wheel is no longer being detected?

                      73, Bob G8VOI

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                      > I have conducted the 'restore to previous version' already but that does
                      > not seem to make any difference either. I notice that, within PSDR,
                      > when I attempt a left click on while cursor is over the frequency tune
                      > window, it will high light the digits and the end zeros become larger
                      > font. When I then turn the wheel the highlight goes away and the zeros
                      > become smaller font but there is not changing of the frequency. I can
                      > 'click' on the panadapter window and change the frequency as usual with
                      > no problem.
                      >
                      > Very aggravating to say the least! I may have to ring up the MS techs to
                      > see if they have a solution. It is sad because this was listed as an
                      > optional, hardware upgrade and not something I had to do but just
                      > thought it would be a good idea... NOT!
                      >
                      > Bruce
                      > ----
                      >
                      > On 11/24/2010 1:11 PM, Jose Bonanca wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Can you restore the computer just a bit before the upgrade.?
                      > >

                      > > On 24 November 2010 17:44, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...
                      > > <mailto:bet110@...>> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Also just deleted and renewed the 'XML' file in PSDR with no
                      > > restoration of the scroll feature.
                      > >

                      > > bet
                      > > ---
                      > >
                      > > On 11/24/2010 12:34 PM, Jose Bonanca wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> What about restarting your computer? Have you thought of that?
                      > >> Regards.
                      > >> Note:- Some times I hear people that do the upgrades and forget
                      > >> to reboot. It is a good practice.
                      > >>

                      > >> On 24 November 2010 16:46, Alan <alan4alan@...

                    • Bruce Tanner
                      Message 11 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
                      Here is a screen shot of what Win 7 has and the settings I have in place. All applications I have tried so far have the scroll feature working except for PSDR V2.0

                      Bruce
                      -----

                      Message 12 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
                        Just so this info is part of the thread... I am copying a message sent to me recently from Christos on this subject. I found it at least gave a starting point to find a solution. I still am not able to use the scroll function with PSDR after having downloading and installing the new drivers for MS Mouse/Keyboard.

                        \bet
                        ----
                        Hi Bruce,

                        Sorry to hear that.
                        These new MS 'features' are always a headache.

                        PSDR receives commands from a 'standard' mouse wheel. If that has been changed
                        in that driver, its not much that can be done right now.
                        Seriously, although that solution is not liked, I suggest you to either revert
                        back the drivers, or replace the mouse with another brand.
                        Regarding revert, I guess that there has to be something in MS knowledgebase,
                        I'm sure you are not the only one that face this problem and of course many
                        others (non-HAMs) have similar issues.

                        73,
                        Christos SV1EIA

                        Message 13 of 13 , Nov 26, 2010
                          I am a happy camper again!

                          I discovered that I could operate the frequency tuning in PSDR by pressing 'Control' and then using the 'UP/Down" arrow buttons to smooth tune the frequency again.. that made me a little happy but I still never was able to get the mouse wheel to do the same thing. At one point I located the original install disk for the MS Desktop ensemble and attempted to re-install the original drivers. Upon doing that I got an error message to the effect that ' Windows 7' has 'blocked' this installation due to incompatibility issues with this operating system.' It would not let me go further. I then attempted a re-install of the new updates from MS and got a message that this update is already installed. Still no proper functioning of the mouse wheel to tune PSDR which had been working fine for nearly a year or more before the 'voluntary' upgrade mentioned in my first email on this subject...

                          I decided to take a risk and went to purchase a 'Logitech' Cordless Desktop Wave' ensemble. ($99 US!) I have just installed that ensemble on my system and it worked first time without even installing any new drivers for it... it offered to do an update of the software but I Chickened out and decided to leave well enough alone.

                          Moral of this story is: If you are using Windows 7 64 bit along with the MS Desktop Wireless keyboard/mouse ensemble DO NOT download any updates they offer for that peripheral if you wish to use PSDR as software.

                          I am now a happy camper again!

                          Bruce, K2BET

                          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5649 (20101125) __________

                          http://www.eset.com