Re: [softrock40] Re: SDXCVR Board Production

  • Robert McGwier
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 3, 2006
      Understood. Being a programming wienie, I use verilog but I know Lyle
      (for example) uses mostly schematic capture. I did not understand Dave
      was attempting to pass through the 8051 core (did you see the EOL notice
      from Intel?).

      73
      Bob

      Phil Covington wrote:
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@...> wrote:
      >
      >> FX2 on the USRP does 35 MB/sec sustained on my computers.
      >>

      > The USRP uses the GPIF mode of the FX2. There is also a FPGA in
      > between the ADC/DACs and the FX2. There will be NO WHERE near 35
      > MB/sec if the 8051 core of the FX2 is between the ADC and the USB
      > interface. In Dave's schematic, he has not worked out the interface
      > between the ADC's I2S and the FX2. If he uses the FIFO or GPIF modes
      > (in either 8 or 16 bit) he cannot do the I2S interface with the 8051
      > core of the FX2. He needs something external to the FX2 to do this
      > which would interface to the FX2's FIFOs. Discrete logic or a CPLD
      > would work. I would lean towards a CPLD since I would not want a
      > bunch of discrete logic chips scattered all about. The free Quartus
      > II web edition will program the MAXII CPLD. All you need is a
      > MAXBLASTER clone, which can be purchased or can be built for less than
      > $10. I built mine in about 30 minutes with junk box parts for $0.
      > You don't even need to use VHDL or Verilog for this - just use the
      > schematic entry mode and draw it up like you are wiring together
      > discrete logic chips. Very simple.
      >
      > 73 de Phil N8VB

      Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!
    • brainerd@wildblue.net
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 7, 2006
        I uploaded the files for my FX2_Commander Windows program for testing the USB
        board. I also fixed the link which was incorrect. The zip includes both source
        files(Visual Studio C++ 200d) and compiles file. The compiles file is in the release
        sub directory. Note that you must have Microsoft .net 2.0 installed on your computer
        to run the program.

        <http://users.wildblue.net/wb6dhw>

        Dave - WB6HW