Re: CW, RTTY etc. decoding

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi Philip,

      Its very easy to run any most of the available sound card data mode programs with the SDR RX.

      I mainly use PowerSDR and the external VAC software to pass the digitised 'auto' stream over a virtual cable to the data mode program.

      A lot depends on personal choice. There are several good programs with multi mode capability, MixW, Fldigi, MultiPSK, HRD etc.

      I actually favour using individual programs for each mode as I have found generally they seem to perform better than the multi-mode packages, but less convenient in some respects.

      MMTTY and MMSSTV are good for RTTY / SSTV, Digipan or WinPSK for PSK31, WSPR and WSJT for digi modes. The list is endless.

      Everyone has their favourites, but all work well with the SDR receiver.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <pcteee@...> wrote:

      > Sat patiently waiting for my SR Ensemble RX kit to arrive.
      > Giving me chance to get started on erecting a long wire aerial and making an aerial tuner unit.
      >
      > Anyhoo, been looking around at various items of software that will decode to text, CW RTTY and many other types of transmissions.
      >
      > Anybody using this deconding software with their SRs?
      >
      > Digipan for PSK looks good as does Fldigi
      >
      > Any favorites?
      >

      > Regards
      > Philip

    • Philip
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010
        Thanks Bob...

        The virtual cable sounds interesting..
        Very new to all this as I'm an old fashioned ham (G4JVF) but last night
        I had my SR 40M receiver on my main computer and Fldigi decoding the CW
        on my net book coupled via a microphone.

        Messy but it worked well and certainly got my interest to go further with this...

        The "mic coupling" has the disadvantage that the noises drive the family mad :)

        Seriously good fun this SDR stuff

        Regards
        Philip