Frequency Drift with Softrock Lite II IF & FT-950

  • Bill Richarz
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
      Whenever I first turn one my FT-950 and apply voltage to the Softrock Lite II IF board, the PowerSDR reads about 60Hz higher going through the PowerSDR software than the VFO readout on the radio. I did all the calibrations using WWV 30 minutes after "warm up". I have tried turning on the Softrock Lite II IF on 30 minutes before turning the FT-950 on. Question is, what is drifting here? The radio, IF in the radio, the Softrock Lite II board, or something having to do with the software?

      BTW, anyone out there still offering the Softrock II Lite IF for the FT-950. Would like to have a spare.

      Bill, N4DH
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
        From: "Bill Richarz"
        Subject: [softrock40] Frequency Drift with Softrock Lite II IF & FT-950

        > Whenever I first turn one my FT-950 and apply voltage to the Softrock Lite
        > II IF board, the PowerSDR reads about 60Hz higher going through the
        > PowerSDR software than the VFO readout on the radio. I did all the
        > calibrations using WWV 30 minutes after "warm up". I have tried turning
        > on the Softrock Lite II IF on 30 minutes before turning the FT-950 on.
        > Question is, what is drifting here? The radio, IF in the radio, the
        > Softrock Lite II board, or something having to do with the software?

        Does the radio drift on its own? You need to check this first. It should
        stay zero beat on WWV.
        It is also possible the Softrock can drift but eliminate the radio first.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Bill Richarz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
          The radio itself does not drift.  If it's tuned to 14.300 when I turn it on and listen to the MM net, it's right on and stays there.  The PowerSDR frequency readout starts out around 60 Hz higher.  After around 30 minutes I have to set the PowerSDR frequency to match the FT-950 readout.

          Puzzling to say the least.

          Bill, N4DH

          > Whenever I first turn one my FT-950 and apply voltage to the Softrock Lite
          > II IF board, the PowerSDR reads about 60Hz higher going through the
          > PowerSDR software than the VFO readout on the radio. I did all the
          > calibrations using WWV 30 minutes after "warm up". I have tried turning
          > on the Softrock Lite II IF on 30 minutes before turning the FT-950 on.
          > Question is, what is drifting here? The radio, IF in the radio, the
          > Softrock Lite II board, or something having to do with the software?

          Does the radio drift on its own? You need to check this first. It should
          stay zero beat on WWV.
          It is also possible the Softrock can drift but eliminate the radio first.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
            Hi Bill,

            I do not know the spec for the crystal used in the LiteII RX, but they are nothing special, but probably no better than 20 to 30ppm / deg C, could be as bad as 50 ppm.

            With the sub-harmonic sampling, maths is not my strong point :), but 60Hz drift / error at 14MHz, equates to approximately 80Hz drift in the 18MHz oscillator, or around 4 ppm. Pretty good for a free running oscillator using a cheap off the shelf crystal.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Richarz <billn4dh@...> wrote:

            > The radio itself does not drift.  If it's tuned to 14.300 when I turn it on and listen to the MM net, it's right on and stays there.  The PowerSDR frequency readout starts out around 60 Hz higher.  After around 30 minutes I have to set the PowerSDR frequency to match the FT-950 readout.
            >
            > Puzzling to say the least.
            >
            > Bill, N4DH

          • Bill Richarz
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
              Thanks Bob,

              Knew it was still pretty small.  It's really not a big deal.  Only when I click on a signal and the radio and SDR does not match for first 30 minutes.  I listen to audio from radio anyway.  Just curious what was drifting.

              73 de Bill, N4DH

              I do not know the spec for the crystal used in the LiteII RX, but they are nothing special, but probably no better than 20 to 30ppm / deg C, could be as bad as 50 ppm.

              With the sub-harmonic sampling, maths is not my strong point :), but 60Hz drift / error at 14MHz, equates to approximately 80Hz drift in the 18MHz oscillator, or around 4 ppm. Pretty good for a free running oscillator using a cheap off the shelf crystal.

              73, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Richarz <billn4dh@...> wrote:

              > The radio itself does not drift.  If it's tuned to 14.300 when I turn it on and listen to the MM net, it's right on and stays there.  The PowerSDR frequency readout starts out around 60 Hz higher.  After around 30 minutes I have to set the PowerSDR frequency to match the FT-950 readout.
              >
              > Puzzling to say the least.
              >
              > Bill, N4DH

            • Pat
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
                I use a lite II with my TS-940 and found that it drifts a bit. I eliminated the rig fairly early in my investigations. Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to finish up what I was doing. In the interim, I use WWV and readjust the IF offset in PowerSDR-IF when I start operating. This works for me.

                Pat
                WB2GBF
              • Clive Jenner
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
                  I would think that if your within 60Hz of a frequency on switch on with
                  any item of frequency determining equipment, then that would be good
                  enough for science!

                  It's good practice to let equipment have a chance to reach thermal
                  equilibrium., before you wish to use it.

                  73 Clive GW0PPO