Re: [sdr-widget] Widget news: [*Positives]Some good, some not so good.

  • visierl
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
      I realize this is probably just piling on, but I think it is worthwhile anyway. All of the people who have contributed in all aspects of the softrock / mobo / widget / whatever is to come community deserve a great deal of praise for their efforts. This includes the designers, the kitters, the build notes suppliers, the software developers, and the people who offer their expertise to bring the rest of us along.

      For my part, buying (or, as is the case at the moment, attempting to buy) a widget serves two purposes, one social and one technical:

      1) it supports the efforts of those who spent their time
      and energy bringing the Widget into existence by making
      it just a bit more likely that a successful Widget will
      become available to anyone.

      2) It gives me a single USB control and data solution that
      allows me to isolate control / data collection from
      RF processing in my radio (I plan to put the Widget in
      a separately shielded compartment in my final radio
      only sending I2C to the radio -- 6.3/Mobo 4.3 -- via
      the Mobo's isolated I2C connection).

      My first purpose is to help ensure that work like this continues by supporting the immediate community. My second will, I believe, give me the radio I want to have when I am done and will allow me to use it with my laptop or a future netbook or a desktop machine as I see fit.

      Linux also plays a part in this, since I am a serious programmer and I find it stifling to work on a platform where programming is largely discouraged. The learning curve for using Linux is dropping day by day and the value of open-source development is rising. SoftRock support on Linux is a tiny but important part of this.

      In the end, I have no doubt that the intrepid widget developers will solve the Windows problem (I would hope by providing a UAC2 device driver for Windows, but perhaps by providing a Widget device driver for Windows). For my immediate goals, that is moot since I will never use it, but for the health of the project, I am sure it is crucial.

      Eric
      AC0OP