No GUI needed

  • Don
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 30, 2010
      This request may sound rather odd. I'm able to command line control the Si570 using usbsoftrock installed on Ubuntu 10.04. I would like a put the Ensemble II RX on a frequency with usbsoftrock and leave it there for long periods of time, like WWV. Of course I would like to hear the transmission. I don't need to see any GUI. I will change frequency just from the command line using usbsoftrock. I need just a shell to process the RX data through the sound card and interface to usbsoftrock, hearing the station from Line Out. How would this be done?
      Don
    • Gordon JC Pearce
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 30, 2010
        On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 18:40 +0000, Don wrote:
        > This request may sound rather odd. I'm able to command line control
        > the Si570 using usbsoftrock installed on Ubuntu 10.04. I would like a
        > put the Ensemble II RX on a frequency with usbsoftrock and leave it
        > there for long periods of time, like WWV. Of course I would like to
        > hear the transmission. I don't need to see any GUI. I will change
        > frequency just from the command line using usbsoftrock. I need just a
        > shell to process the RX data through the sound card and interface to
        > usbsoftrock, hearing the station from Line Out. How would this be
        > done?
        > Don

        Give me an hour or two and I'll make you a gui-free version of lysdr.

        How do you want to tune it? Just pass the frequency on the
        command-line?

        Gordon MM0YEQ
      • Don
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 30, 2010
          Fantastic!

          Yes, that would OK, a command line of pass of frequency, using usbsoftrock. I guess the RX has to be "Started" like Rocky does. Right now using Realtec internal onboard sound,Line In. Line Out goes to powered PC speaker MB is Intel D510MO mini-ITX.

          Thanks so much, Don

          - In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 18:40 +0000, Don wrote:
          > > This request may sound rather odd. I'm able to command line control
          > > the Si570 using usbsoftrock installed on Ubuntu 10.04. I would like a
          > > put the Ensemble II RX on a frequency with usbsoftrock and leave it
          > > there for long periods of time, like WWV. Of course I would like to
          > > hear the transmission. I don't need to see any GUI. I will change
          > > frequency just from the command line using usbsoftrock. I need just a
          > > shell to process the RX data through the sound card and interface to
          > > usbsoftrock, hearing the station from Line Out. How would this be
          > > done?
          > > Don
          >
          > Give me an hour or two and I'll make you a gui-free version of lysdr.
          >
          > How do you want to tune it? Just pass the frequency on the
          > command-line?
          >
          > Gordon MM0YEQ

        • Gordon JC Pearce
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 30, 2010
            On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 20:30 +0000, Don wrote:
            > Fantastic!
            >
            > Yes, that would OK, a command line of pass of frequency, using usbsoftrock. I guess the RX has to be "Started" like Rocky does. Right now using Realtec internal onboard sound,Line In. Line Out goes to powered PC speaker MB is Intel D510MO mini-ITX.
            >
            > Thanks so much, Don

            Right, I don't really know how to drive usbsoftrock since I don't have
            any USB-controllable softrocks.

            At present lysdr just takes a command-line parameter to set the centre
            frequency as displayed in the GUI - ie if you pass "-f 7056000" it will
            show the centre of the waterfall as 7.056MHz. So I guess what I'd do is
            add a switch, -t maybe, to specify the tuning - if you wanted to tune
            7.058MHz you'd say "-t 2000" to move 2000Hz off the centre zero point.

            Clear as mud, right?

            I take it you've got jack etc. all working correctly?

            Gordon MM0YEQ
          • Don
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 30, 2010
              Gordon,
              Right now I can set frequency of the Si570 using usbsoftrock. I just need to pass the I/Q data through the sound card. It needs software like Rocky to decode it. The RX has worked fine with Rocky on XP. I just want to try to hear a radio signal using Ubuntu as the OS. I know Quisk and others can do this. But, I'm looking for a "turn key" non GUI approach, which would would involve far less code, and maybe easier to get going. I will change frequency once in a while and monitor on one frequency mostly.

              I thought you could come up with what I was asking. But, maybe I wasn't clear before.

              Don

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 20:30 +0000, Don wrote:
              > > Fantastic!
              > >
              > > Yes, that would OK, a command line of pass of frequency, using usbsoftrock. I guess the RX has to be "Started" like Rocky does. Right now using Realtec internal onboard sound,Line In. Line Out goes to powered PC speaker MB is Intel D510MO mini-ITX.
              > >
              > > Thanks so much, Don
              >
              > Right, I don't really know how to drive usbsoftrock since I don't have
              > any USB-controllable softrocks.
              >
              > At present lysdr just takes a command-line parameter to set the centre
              > frequency as displayed in the GUI - ie if you pass "-f 7056000" it will
              > show the centre of the waterfall as 7.056MHz. So I guess what I'd do is
              > add a switch, -t maybe, to specify the tuning - if you wanted to tune
              > 7.058MHz you'd say "-t 2000" to move 2000Hz off the centre zero point.
              >
              > Clear as mud, right?
              >
              > I take it you've got jack etc. all working correctly?
              >
              > Gordon MM0YEQ

            • Don
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 30, 2010
                Gordon,

                I now realize, I know nothing about jack, being pretty much a newbie in SDR. What should I looking at to do what I want?

                Thanks, Don

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                    On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 00:39 +0000, Don wrote:
                    > Gordon,
                    >
                    > I now realize, I know nothing about jack, being pretty much a newbie in SDR. What should I looking at to do what I want?
                    >
                    > Thanks, Don

                    Okay, in Linux we use a bit of software called jack to handle routing
                    between audio apps. There are quite a few advantages to this approach -
                    the main ones being firstly, that redirecting audio around is as simple
                    as connecting up boxes with jack leads (hence the name) and secondly,
                    it's far easier for programmers to deal with since you know in advance
                    that your processing function is going to be called with a particular
                    number of samples passed in as a block of floating-point numbers.

                    Normally jack is used in music applications to couple up software to
                    physical interfaces, and to connect effects and software synthesizers
                    up, and also because you can set it to have a very low latency (the
                    delay between capturing or creating a sound, and having it pass out
                    through the speakers). Now, this works particularly well for SDR,
                    because we can capture sound from the line in socket on a sound card,
                    tap off the unprocessed IQ signal to a recorder, feed the same signal to
                    an SDR application, feed the output of that to another recorder (or even
                    the same one we're recording the raw IQ file with, if it can handle four
                    simultaneous tracks) and feed that into another application for further
                    processing.

                    But you don't need to know all that just now ;-)

                    Have a look on the Ubuntu wiki and in the forum or IRC channel (#ubuntu
                    on freenode) for advice on getting jack up and running.

                    Gordon MM0YEQ
                  • Gordon JC Pearce
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                      On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 00:14 +0000, Don wrote:
                      > Gordon,
                      > Right now I can set frequency of the Si570 using usbsoftrock. I just
                      > need to pass the I/Q data through the sound card. It needs software
                      > like Rocky to decode it. The RX has worked fine with Rocky on XP. I
                      > just want to try to hear a radio signal using Ubuntu as the OS. I know
                      > Quisk and others can do this. But, I'm looking for a "turn key" non
                      > GUI approach, which would would involve far less code, and maybe
                      > easier to get going. I will change frequency once in a while and
                      > monitor on one frequency mostly.
                      >
                      > I thought you could come up with what I was asking. But, maybe I wasn't clear before.
                      >
                      > Don

                      Okay, give this a shot:

                      http://www.gjcp.net/~gordonjcp/noguisdr-0.0.1.tar.bz2

                      Download it, extract it with "tar xjf noguisdr-0.0.1.tar.bz2", and then
                      follow the instructions in the README file.

                      You can specify the frequency offset that the SDR is tuned to on the
                      command-line with "--tuning" or "-t". So, if you are using a Softrock
                      6.2 Lite like mine that has a crystal for 7056.000kHz and you want to
                      listen to the Russian beacons on 7039kHz, you'd say:

                      noguisdr --tuning -17000

                      because 7056kHz - 7039kHz is 17kHz. Now why might this be useful if you
                      can just set the local oscillator to 7039kHz? Because that places the
                      SDR's "blind spot" right on the frequency you want to tune to! If you
                      always tune the LO a certain amount off the desired frequency then dial
                      out the offset with the --tuning switch, then you'll move your wanted
                      signal away from all the mains hum and LF bangs and squeaks down near
                      the low end of the audio spectrum. The filters will take care of the
                      rest.

                      Hope this gets you part of the way to what you want. Let me know how
                      you get on.

                      Gordon MM0YEQ
                    • Sid Boyce
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                        On 31/10/10 08:47, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
                        > On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 00:39 +0000, Don wrote:
                        > > Gordon,
                        > >
                        > > I now realize, I know nothing about jack, being pretty much a newbie
                        > in SDR. What should I looking at to do what I want?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks, Don
                        >
                        > Okay, in Linux we use a bit of software called jack to handle routing
                        > between audio apps. There are quite a few advantages to this approach -
                        > the main ones being firstly, that redirecting audio around is as simple
                        > as connecting up boxes with jack leads (hence the name) and secondly,
                        > it's far easier for programmers to deal with since you know in advance
                        > that your processing function is going to be called with a particular
                        > number of samples passed in as a block of floating-point numbers.
                        >
                        > Normally jack is used in music applications to couple up software to
                        > physical interfaces, and to connect effects and software synthesizers
                        > up, and also because you can set it to have a very low latency (the
                        > delay between capturing or creating a sound, and having it pass out
                        > through the speakers). Now, this works particularly well for SDR,
                        > because we can capture sound from the line in socket on a sound card,
                        > tap off the unprocessed IQ signal to a recorder, feed the same signal to
                        > an SDR application, feed the output of that to another recorder (or even
                        > the same one we're recording the raw IQ file with, if it can handle four
                        > simultaneous tracks) and feed that into another application for further
                        > processing.
                        >
                        > But you don't need to know all that just now ;-)
                        >
                        > Have a look on the Ubuntu wiki and in the forum or IRC channel (#ubuntu
                        > on freenode) for advice on getting jack up and running.
                        >
                        > Gordon MM0YEQ

                        jackd is started to enable the capture and playback channels, then
                        jack_connect is used to patch the radio (I-Q) to the audio system.
                        pasuspender is needed on some older systems to allow jack access to the
                        sound cards where pulseaudio normally would disallow access.
                        An example script that should help understand the routing.

                        #!/bin/bash

                        # define name used in the RMI registry
                        export NAME=SDR-SHELL
                        export SDR_DEFRATE=48000
                        export JACK_BUFFER=1024

                        # start jackd (firewir-Phw:0 -Chw:1e fa-66)
                        echo "starting jackd ..."
                        #DELTA-44
                        pasuspender -- /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -Phw:0 -Chw:1 -r$SDR_DEFRATE
                        -p${JACK_BUFFER} -s -n2&
                        # /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r$SDR_DEFRATE -p${JACK_BUFFER} -n3&
                        usbsoftrock -a -d &

                        sleep 5

                        # start RX DttSP
                        echo "starting DttSP ${NAME}_RX ..."
                        /usr/bin/sdr-core --spectrum --metering --client-name=${NAME}_RX
                        --buffsize=${JACK_BUFFER} --ringmult=4 --command-port=19001
                        --spectrum-port=19002 --meter-port=19003&

                        sleep 5
                        # connect receiver
                        echo "connecting receiver ..."
                        /usr/bin/jack_connect system:capture_1 ${NAME}_RX:il
                        sleep 2
                        /usr/bin/jack_connect system:capture_2 ${NAME}_RX:ir
                        sleep 2
                        /usr/bin/jack_connect ${NAME}_RX:ol system:playback_1
                        sleep 2
                        /usr/bin/jack_connect ${NAME}_RX:or system:playback_2
                        sleep 2

                        # start sdr-shell
                        sdr-shell&

                        73 ... Sid.
                        --
                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                          Well, that certainly clears things up for me (said Tom, with tongue firmly in cheek)!

                          Cheers,
                          Robby

                          Richard R. (Robby) Robson
                          Amateur Radio Station WB5RVZ

                        • Sid Boyce
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                            I know what you mean Robby, as cryptic as some of the Windows stuff I
                            see here that I'm sure most people understand, but I don't. ASIO and
                            some others, VAC (I googled), xx.DLL -- que?
                            73 ... Sid.

                            --
                            Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                            Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
                            Senior Staff Specialist, Cricket Coach
                            Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks
                          • Eldon Brown
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 31, 2010
                              Cordon,

                              The Tar file contains a 10Mb core file - is that what you wanted to send??

                              72 - Eldon - WA0UWH - CN97xc - http://WA0UWH.blogspot.com/      ( 72 is a qrp 73's )

                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 1, 2010
                                On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 19:44 -0700, Eldon Brown wrote:

                                > Cordon,
                                >

                                > The Tar file contains a 10Mb core file - is that what you wanted to
                                > send??
                                > 72 - Eldon - WA0UWH - CN97xc - http://WA0UWH.blogspot.com/ ( 72
                                > is a qrp 73's )

                                ... and *that* is why you do ./waf distclean before ./waf dist, just in
                                case ;-)

                                Surprisingly removing the core file only shrunk the tarball by 40k.
                                Removing the superfluous build directory brought it down to a more
                                reasonable 95kB.

                                Download the new, properly cleaned one from the same link.

                                Gordon MM0YEQ
                              • Rob Frohne
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 4, 2010
                                  Hi Don,

                                  You can use sdr-core (DttSP) with jack and nc to do just what you want.  Have a look at the start I made at a man page for sdr-core here.

                                  73,

                                  Rob
                                  KL7NA

                                  --
                                  Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
                                  E.F. Cross School of Engineering

                                • Don
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                    Gordon and all,
                                    Well, I'm back again. Got distracted trying to see if linrad would work. The latest 03.16 compiled OK, did what was asked, but heard no sound. Want to get back to your suggestions showing tar file.

                                    OK, in summary: Ensemble II RX I built works fine using Rocky on XP. Now want to try Ubuntu 10.04. Installed usbsoftrock. I can control frequency of RX using the simple usbsoftrock interface. Staying with Terminal would be OK for now. Want to copy either CW or SSB, the only mode switch. jackd is not installed yet, and nothing else that you have mentioned. I really think many newbies would like a quick Linux connection to an SDR RX. This would purely be a demo project, hoping I can learn something. And I'm on the bottom rung of the SDR learning ladder. Probably over simplifying this whole request!
                                    Thanks anyway. Don

                                    > From: "Don"
                                    > Subject: [softrock40] No GUI needed
                                    >

                                    > > This request may sound rather odd. I'm able to command line control the
                                    > > Si570 using usbsoftrock installed on Ubuntu 10.04. I would like a put the
                                    > > Ensemble II RX on a frequency with usbsoftrock and leave it there for long
                                    > > periods of time, like WWV. Of course I would like to hear the
                                    > > transmission.
                                    >

                                    > I think there may be a way to do this in Windows.

                                    > Shows a command line utility for frequency (and PTT) setting. (Actual Si570
                                    > frequency!)
                                    >
                                    > Assuming you want it for a low-end computer then
                                    > <http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html> has an IQ receive function that
                                    > can run at 8KHz sample rate. It will not be too easy for a beginner to
                                    > setup, I did it some time ago and have forgotten how. There are a lot of
                                    > help pages.
                                    >
                                    > PDSR can have the display turned off but will still use more CPU.
                                    >
                                    > I'm thinking that this utility could be used with timed batch files to
                                    > change frequency for Faros without having PDSR running..
                                    >
                                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                  • Alex
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don1mh@...> wrote:

                                      > OK, in summary: Ensemble II RX I built works fine using Rocky on XP. Now want to try Ubuntu 10.04. Installed usbsoftrock. I can control frequency of RX using the simple usbsoftrock interface. Staying with Terminal would be OK for now. Want to copy either CW or SSB, the only mode switch. jackd is not installed yet, and nothing else that you have mentioned. I really think many newbies would like a quick Linux connection to an SDR RX. This would purely be a demo project, hoping I can learn something. And I'm on the bottom rung of the SDR learning ladder. Probably over simplifying this whole request!

                                      Hi Don,

                                      What you want to do can be done, but there is some work that is needed to set things up. Since you can go to the trouble of setting up Linrad (which is one of the most complicated SDR software to set up), you should be up to the task of doing the following :-)

                                      You will need to do 3 things:

                                      (1) set up the sound cards;
                                      (2) install the software
                                      (a) usbsoftrock - which you have done
                                      (b) sdr-core
                                      (c) jackmp
                                      (3) create two scripts
                                      (a) simple_rx
                                      (b) stop_simple_rx

                                      I will go through all the steps below.

                                      (1) set up the sound cards

                                      In the Terminal prompt, type these:

                                      > arecord -l

                                      and

                                      > aplay -l

                                      This will give you an idea how your sound cards are know in Linux. My set up, for example, is:

                                      alex@laptop-alex:~$ arecord -l
                                      **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
                                      card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
                                      Subdevices: 1/1
                                      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                                      card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
                                      Subdevices: 1/1
                                      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                                      card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
                                      Subdevices: 1/1
                                      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                                      card 1: External [SB Live! 24-bit External], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
                                      Subdevices: 1/1
                                      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

                                      So it says card 0 is my internal sound card, and card 1 is my external USB soundcard, which I use for capturing the I/Q input.

                                      (2) installing the software

                                      First, you need to get some needed packages:

                                      cd ~
                                      sudo apt-get install build-essential
                                      sudo apt-get install subversion
                                      sudo apt-get install libsamplerate0-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libgsl0-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libfreebob0-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libffado-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libsndfile-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libcelt-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install autoconf automake
                                      sudo apt-get install manpages-dev
                                      sudo apt-get install liblo-dev

                                      Then you need to install jack2:

                                      cd ~
                                      svn co http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/jack2/trunk/jackmp
                                      cd jackmp
                                      ./waf configure --alsa --firewire --freebob
                                      ./waf build
                                      sudo ./waf install

                                      The following steps are needed to use jack with the real-time kernel scheduler:

                                      sudo su -c 'echo @audio - rtprio 99 >> /etc/security/limits.conf'
                                      sudo su -c 'echo @audio - memlock 250000 >> /etc/security/limits.conf'
                                      sudo su -c 'echo @audio - nice -10 >> /etc/security/limits.conf'

                                      sudo usermod -G audio -a <user>

                                      Replace <user> by your login_id. The system needs to be rebooted for the changes
                                      to take effect.

                                      Now you need to install dttsp, or sdr-core

                                      svn co https://www.cgran.org/cgran/projects/dttsp/branches/ab2kt/sdr-core/base
                                      dttsp-cgran
                                      cd dttsp-cgran/src
                                      ./bootstrap
                                      ./configure
                                      make
                                      sudo make install

                                      (3) create two scripts, one to start and one to stop

                                      To create these scripts, copy and paste the following into any text editor, make sure that some lines are broken into two from the formatting in this post and you have to join them back into one single line. After saving these scripts, you have to make them executable, by

                                      > chmod +x simple_rx
                                      > chmod +x stop_simple_rx

                                      Note also the simple_rx script needs to be customized for your sound cards, depending on what arecord -l shows above.

                                      simple_rx script:

                                      #!/bin/bash

                                      # define name used in the RMI registry
                                      NAME=SDR-SHELL
                                      export SDR_DEFRATE=48000
                                      export JACK_BUFFER=2048
                                      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

                                      # start jackd
                                      #echo "starting jackd ..."

                                      /usr/local/bin/jackd -s -dalsa -Chw:1 -Phw:0 -r$SDR_DEFRATE -p${JACK_BUFFER} -n3&

                                      sleep 3
                                      # start RX DttSP
                                      echo "starting DttSP ${NAME}_RX ..."
                                      sdr-core --client-name=${NAME}_RX --buffsize=${JACK_BUFFER} --ringmult=4 --command-port=19001 &

                                      sleep 3
                                      # connect receiver
                                      echo "connecting receiver ..."
                                      /usr/local/bin/jack_connect system:capture_1 ${NAME}_RX:il
                                      #jack_connect system:capture_1 ${NAME}_RX:il
                                      sleep 2
                                      /usr/local/bin/jack_connect system:capture_2 ${NAME}_RX:ir
                                      #jack_connect system:capture_2 ${NAME}_RX:ir
                                      sleep 2
                                      /usr/local/bin/jack_connect ${NAME}_RX:ol system:playback_1
                                      #jack_connect ${NAME}_RX:ol system:playback_1
                                      sleep 2
                                      /usr/local/bin/jack_connect ${NAME}_RX:or system:playback_2
                                      #jack_connect ${NAME}_RX:or system:playback_2
                                      sleep 2

                                      echo setMode 10 >> dttsp-command
                                      echo setOsc 9000 1 >> dttsp-command
                                      nc -u 127.0.0.1 19001 < dttsp-command
                                      rm dttsp-command

                                      #======= end of the simple_rx script ===============

                                      The stop_simple_rx script

                                      #!/bin/bash

                                      sdrpid=`ps -ef|grep sdr-core|head -n1|awk -vORS='' '{print $2}'`
                                      echo "Killing sdr-core pid $sdrpid"
                                      kill $sdrpid >/dev/null

                                      sleep 2
                                      jackpid=`ps -ef|grep jackd|head -n1|awk -vORS='' '{print $2}'`
                                      echo "Killing jackd pid $sdrpid"
                                      kill $jackpid >/dev/null

                                      #========= end of stop_simple_rx script ==============

                                      To run things,

                                      > ./simple_rx

                                      After this command is issued, things should be started and you should hear some noise from the PC speakers.

                                      Now you can use usbsoftrock to tune around, eg.

                                      > usbsoftrock -a set freq 9.991

                                      This will tune to 9khz below the 10 Mhz WWV station.

                                      If your softrock is calibrated correctly, you shoud hear the WWV station.

                                      Right now the script sets up the Mode to SAM, and the offset is 9khz above what the usbsoftrock tunes to (to avoid the noise around the center frequency).

                                      To tune to BBC, say at 15.310 Mhz SAM, you issue:

                                      > usbsoftrock -a set freq 15.301

                                      When done with playing, issue

                                      > ./stop_simple_rx

                                      and things will be cleaned up.

                                      73 Alex
                                    • Sid Boyce
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                        Alex's scripts should definitely get you going. Unfortunately your
                                        requirement is "No GUI" as I normally would suggest quisk.

                                        Linrad 03.16, you can try configuring Native alsa, also-oss and
                                        portaudio, one of them should work.
                                        My setup that works on Kubuntu uses a different sound card configuration
                                        to the openSUSE setup, the latter I had to experiment with in order to
                                        get it working.
                                        73 ... Sid.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                          Alex,
                                          Are two sound cards like internal and external, necessary? For a RXTX, two is a requirement.
                                          Don

                                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <lee188@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                          > kill $sdrpid >/dev/null
                                          >
                                          > sleep 2
                                          > jackpid=`ps -ef|grep jackd|head -n1|awk -vORS='' '{print $2}'`
                                          > echo "Killing jackd pid $sdrpid"
                                          > kill $jackpid >/dev/null
                                          >

                                          > #========= end of stop_simple_rx script ==============
                                          >

                                          > To run things,
                                          >
                                          > > ./simple_rx
                                          >
                                          > After this command is issued, things should be started and you should hear some noise from the PC speakers.
                                          >
                                          > Now you can use usbsoftrock to tune around, eg.
                                          >
                                          > > usbsoftrock -a set freq 9.991
                                          >
                                          > This will tune to 9khz below the 10 Mhz WWV station.
                                          >
                                          > If your softrock is calibrated correctly, you shoud hear the WWV station.
                                          >
                                          > Right now the script sets up the Mode to SAM, and the offset is 9khz above what the usbsoftrock tunes to (to avoid the noise around the center frequency).
                                          >
                                          > To tune to BBC, say at 15.310 Mhz SAM, you issue:

                                        • Don
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                            I figured "No GUI" would make for less code, but now I see probably not. And Alex indicated linrad is pretty complicated to get going. So,
                                            Quisk still may be the way to go. Still reading latest solution from Alex, but open for any other opinions. Seems Linux is not quite ready for simple marriage with SDR. My problem id if something freezes, I'm not sure how to fix it.
                                            Don

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                              It's a question of getting familiar. When I first configure linrad and
                                              got it running, I didn't know what I was doing, changed something and it
                                              stopped working. I still know very little but I stick to configuring the
                                              sound cards and leaving the more esoteric features alone.
                                              I would recommend trying it after getting familiar with quisk which can
                                              be dowloaded from Files --> 9V1AL or my directory Files --> G3VBV which
                                              includes additional notes. May be just have a go anyway it won't break
                                              anything.

                                              Under Windows I had big problems getting the SR configured and working
                                              as it still wasn't a trivial matter getting the software installed,
                                              also landing in a quagmire by plugging into a USB port different to the
                                              original one. XP also refused to flash the ATTiny85, so after many
                                              suggestions I was asked to try fsusb under Linux, it worked easily and
                                              everything then was OK using the SR on Windows.
                                              Quisk looked simpler, but was not quite right for SR, with some email
                                              exchanges between Jim Ahlstrom and I got it working. Later Andrew
                                              Nilsson added usbsoftrock and we had a fully functional application.
                                              I think we can look for more and better from Jim now he has the Ensemble
                                              RXTX I supplied. BTW I'm looking forward with great interest to the next
                                              issue of QEX which describes his new SDR design.

                                              Linrad is coming along nicely, just needs the TX code added after a
                                              complete re-jig of the code. The latest wspr works fine.
                                              There is a lot going on and we'll get there eventually as even the HPSDR
                                              group is taking Softrock as a member of the SDR family that needs to be
                                              supported with applications that will run under Windows, Linux and Mac
                                              OSX, a break away from the current Windows only PowerSDR.

                                              I don't quite catch your drift on "something freezes". If an application
                                              fails to respond, the X, top right on the GUI doesn't kill it, CTRL-Esc,
                                              click on the skull and it's gone. Two other useful tools for that "man
                                              kill" and "man ps".

                                              This forum also guarantees a response if not several, so do not hesitate
                                              to ask.
                                              73 ... Sid.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                                Sid,
                                                I'm starting to see one needs to be tough and not give up. And try to focus on what's being said about various solutions. And there are good people trying to help. New like me, want the solution right away!There is an SDR blog "It's more complicated than that" sure fits.

                                                You're right "freezes" should clear hitting X. Should have looked at all the linrad commands.

                                                External sound card always advisable even for just RX? My Ensemble RXTX seems to work OK with 96 KHz onboard sound and USB audio dongle to hear.

                                                Thanks again for your SDR insights.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 5, 2010
                                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don1mh@...> wrote:

                                                  > Alex,
                                                  > Are two sound cards like internal and external, necessary? For a RXTX, two is a requirement.
                                                  > Don

                                                  For Rx only, one sound card is adequate.

                                                  You need to decide/know what sound card configuration you want to use. If you want to use a single sound card for I/Q in and decoded audio out, it is fine.

                                                  Then you just need to change one line in the simple_rx script.

                                                  btw, to install Quisk from my Files > 9V1AL modified copy of Quisk, download and decompress the archive into your home directory. Then in the Quisk subdirectory, run make:

                                                  > make

                                                  and follow the README instructions.

                                                  You need to set up a .quisk_conf.py file in your home directory. Again, setting up the sound card configuration is an important part of it. (You can't avoid this as each person's sound card configuration is different, and there are many different sound cards each with their own special configuration idiosyncrasies.)

                                                  There is, I think, a copy of my .quisk_conf.py file in the archive. You need to modify it to fit your PC/sound card.

                                                  73 Alex
                                                • Dan
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011
                                                    Hi Gordon,

                                                    I've found this old post regarding a no GUI simple SDR receiver.
                                                    This is what I search for my little project.
                                                    I have 2 websdr servers and now I'm using dsnoop alsa plugin to share the inputs between websdr server and the recording application.
                                                    It works perfect. Now I want to be able to build a new simple interface accessible from iPhone/iPad (which does not support Java used by websdr).
                                                    I want to stream the output of a simple no GUI sdr receiver and create a small web page to control it.

                                                    There is any way to use your application without Jack?
                                                    I really see no reason for jack in my particular situation.

                                                    Thank you in advance for your answer.
                                                    73 Dan YO3GGX
                                                    http://www.yo3ggx.ro

                                                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

                                                    > On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 00:14 +0000, Don wrote:
                                                    > > Gordon,
                                                    > > Right now I can set frequency of the Si570 using usbsoftrock. I just
                                                    > > need to pass the I/Q data through the sound card. It needs software
                                                    > > like Rocky to decode it. The RX has worked fine with Rocky on XP. I
                                                    > > just want to try to hear a radio signal using Ubuntu as the OS. I know
                                                    > > Quisk and others can do this. But, I'm looking for a "turn key" non
                                                    > > GUI approach, which would would involve far less code, and maybe
                                                    > > easier to get going. I will change frequency once in a while and
                                                    > > monitor on one frequency mostly.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I thought you could come up with what I was asking. But, maybe I wasn't clear before.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Don
                                                    >
                                                    > Okay, give this a shot:
                                                    >
                                                    > http://www.gjcp.net/~gordonjcp/noguisdr-0.0.1.tar.bz2
                                                    >
                                                    > Download it, extract it with "tar xjf noguisdr-0.0.1.tar.bz2", and then
                                                    > follow the instructions in the README file.
                                                    >
                                                    > You can specify the frequency offset that the SDR is tuned to on the
                                                    > command-line with "--tuning" or "-t". So, if you are using a Softrock
                                                    > 6.2 Lite like mine that has a crystal for 7056.000kHz and you want to
                                                    > listen to the Russian beacons on 7039kHz, you'd say:
                                                    >
                                                    > noguisdr --tuning -17000
                                                    >
                                                    > because 7056kHz - 7039kHz is 17kHz. Now why might this be useful if you
                                                    > can just set the local oscillator to 7039kHz? Because that places the
                                                    > SDR's "blind spot" right on the frequency you want to tune to! If you
                                                    > always tune the LO a certain amount off the desired frequency then dial
                                                    > out the offset with the --tuning switch, then you'll move your wanted
                                                    > signal away from all the mains hum and LF bangs and squeaks down near
                                                    > the low end of the audio spectrum. The filters will take care of the
                                                    > rest.
                                                    >
                                                    > Hope this gets you part of the way to what you want. Let me know how
                                                    > you get on.
                                                    >
                                                    > Gordon MM0YEQ

                                                  • Eric Söderman
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011

                                                      Maybe you could check out the Ghpsdr3 project. I have seen references to iPhone clients but they probably need to be updated to latest version of the client-server protocols.

                                                      Http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3

                                                      Eric SA5BKE

                                                    • Gordon JC Pearce
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011
                                                        On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:36:35 -0000
                                                        "Dan" <danto@...> wrote:

                                                        > Hi Gordon,
                                                        >
                                                        > I've found this old post regarding a no GUI simple SDR receiver.
                                                        > This is what I search for my little project.
                                                        > I have 2 websdr servers and now I'm using dsnoop alsa plugin to share the inputs between websdr server and the recording application.
                                                        > It works perfect. Now I want to be able to build a new simple interface accessible from iPhone/iPad (which does not support Java used by websdr).
                                                        > I want to stream the output of a simple no GUI sdr receiver and create a small web page to control it.
                                                        >
                                                        > There is any way to use your application without Jack?
                                                        > I really see no reason for jack in my particular situation.

                                                        There's not really a way to do it without jack, because otherwise I'd have to care about all sorts of ALSA nonsense. Using jack, all I need to know is that buffers get handed to me on every callback, that are a known size, and only ever consist of floats. Furthermore, it makes it trivially easy to route audio between different applications, so I have two boards hooked up (a Kanga Finningley for 80m and a Softrock Lite for 40m) which can be hooked up in any combination so that they can have raw IQ recorded, or processed audio recorded.

                                                        I have somewhere an Ardour session consisting of about ten minutes of 80 and 40 raw IQ, with two different frequencies tuned on each using a total of four instances of lysdr, spread across six tracks. There are two more tracks of recordings taken from playing back the 80m track and bouncing onto another pair of mono tracks. Using jack it's easy to set up fairly complex arrangements of routing like that - it's like a model railway layout for audio geeks ;-)

                                                        One possibility would be to use something like alsa_in and alsa_out (part of the jack software) to route audio around.

                                                        Is the source for the websdr server available? Maybe it can be simplified to use jack.

                                                        --
                                                        Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp@...>
                                                      • Dan
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011
                                                          Hi Gordon,

                                                          On 11/24/2011 5:55 PM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

                                                          There's not really a way to do it without jack, because otherwise I'd have to care about all sorts of ALSA nonsense. Using jack, all I need to know is that buffers get handed to me on every callback, that are a known size, and only ever consist of floats. Furthermore, it makes it trivially easy to route audio between different applications, so I have two boards hooked up (a Kanga Finningley for 80m and a Softrock Lite for 40m) which can be hooked up in any combination so that they can have raw IQ recorded, or processed audio recorded.

                                                          Just using dsnoop I have 4 virtual sound input devices (sdr80, sdr40, sdr30, sdr20) for each of the Softrocks. I really don't need everything else Jack is offering.
                                                          I can share the inputs between several applications (websdr, recording and I hope a streaming app for iPhone).

                                                          One possibility would be to use something like alsa_in and alsa_out (part of the jack software) to route audio around.

                                                          I will check this. Anyway, I was not able to compile the application without errors (yet).

                                                          Is the source for the websdr server available? Maybe it can be simplified to use jack.

                                                          The websdr application (fully in Java) is available from Pieter (see websdr.org) only for beta testers. It cannot be shared after that.
                                                          Source code is not available.
                                                          I will further dig in this small app which seems perfect for me (except Jack..:-))

                                                          --
                                                          73 Dan YO3GGX
                                                          http://www.yo3ggx.ro

                                                        • Gordon JC Pearce
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011
                                                            On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:30:28 +0200
                                                            Dan <danto@...> wrote:

                                                            > Hi Gordon,

                                                            > Just using dsnoop I have 4 virtual sound input devices (sdr80, sdr40,
                                                            > sdr30, sdr20) for each of the Softrocks. I really don't need everything
                                                            > else Jack is offering.
                                                            > I can share the inputs between several applications (websdr, recording
                                                            > and I hope a streaming app for iPhone).

                                                            Sounds handy. I should look into dsnoop.

                                                            > > One possibility would be to use something like alsa_in and alsa_out
                                                            > > (part of the jack software) to route audio around.
                                                            > >
                                                            > I will check this. Anyway, I was not able to compile the application
                                                            > without errors (yet).

                                                            If you bug people in #lad on irc.freenode.org then someone may be able to help.

                                                            > The websdr application (fully in Java) is available from Pieter (see
                                                            > websdr.org) only for beta testers. It cannot be shared after that.
                                                            > Source code is not available.
                                                            > I will further dig in this small app which seems perfect for me (except
                                                            > Jack..:-))

                                                            Ah :-/

                                                            I'd urge you not to use that, then. Closed-source software has absolutely no place in amateur radio.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011

                                                              Dan <danto@...> wrote:

                                                              > Hi Gordon,

                                                              > Just using dsnoop I have 4 virtual sound input devices (sdr80, sdr40,
                                                              > sdr30, sdr20) for each of the Softrocks. I really don't need everything
                                                              > else Jack is offering.
                                                              > I can share the inputs between several applications (websdr, recording
                                                              > and I hope a streaming app for iPhone).

                                                              And all this without installing anything. Just writing some text in a config file (asound.conf).
                                                              You can define different virtual devices, one for each input of a multi-input sound card.

                                                              Sounds handy. I should look into dsnoop.

                                                              > > One possibility would be to use something like alsa_in and alsa_out
                                                              > > (part of the jack software) to route audio around.
                                                              > >
                                                              > I will check this. Anyway, I was not able to compile the application
                                                              > without errors (yet).

                                                              If you bug people in #lad on irc.freenode.org then someone may be able to help.

                                                              I've tried just a few minutes. I will solve it for sure during the weekend.

                                                              > The websdr application (fully in Java) is available from Pieter (see
                                                              > websdr.org) only for beta testers. It cannot be shared after that.
                                                              > Source code is not available.
                                                              > I will further dig in this small app which seems perfect for me (except
                                                              > Jack..:-))

                                                              Ah :-/

                                                              I'd urge you not to use that, then. Closed-source software has absolutely no place in amateur radio.

                                                              It will be open sourced, but no date specified.

                                                              --
                                                              73 Dan YO3GGX
                                                              http://www.yo3ggx.ro
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Nov 24, 2011
                                                                On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:52:19 +0200
                                                                Dan <danto@...> wrote:

                                                                > > I'd urge you not to use that, then. Closed-source software has
                                                                > > absolutely no place in amateur radio.
                                                                > >
                                                                > It will be open sourced, but no date specified.

                                                                This is something I've never really understood. If one is going to open-source a piece of code, what is to be gained by sitting on it?

                                                                It doesn't matter if the code is ugly or buggy. Stick it up somewhere and you'll get sent patches.

                                                                --
                                                                Gordon JC Pearce MM0YEQ <gordonjcp@...>