Re: [softrock40] Somewhat OT: C vs C++ Question

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      C# is a friendlier cross between C++ and C it's more capable that C
      but not as undisciplined as C++.

      At 09:49 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
      > C++ is an extension of C. It does a lot more checking to make
      > sure you match
      >types correctly. If you are going to be wiriting for Microsoft
      >Windows, Microsoft is
      >offering Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. It includes
      >Visual C++, Visual
      >C#, Visual Basic, Visual J, and Web Designer. They also have videos
      >and tutorials
      >on line(although less for C++ than the other languages). I recently bought
      >"Beginning Visual C++ 2005" by Ivor Horton's . It seems to be quite
      >good for me. I
      >have done some C before on micro's but no windows programming.
      > A couple of years ago I found a free couse on-line called "Learn
      > C in 21 days". It
      >was very good. That's how I learned C for the micros. Also, I use SDCC for
      >programming PIC's and 8051 types in C.
      > I haven't played with C# yet, so don't know how it compares to C++ or C.
      >
      >Dave - WB6DHW
      >On 1 Jun 2006 at 20:35, Jim Miller wrote:
      >

      > > I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going
      > to try to become competent in C
      > > or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I
      > most often see C++ mentioned
      > > anymore.
      > >
      > > Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?
      > >
      > > My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.
      > >
      > > I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had
      > the need or desire to
      > > learn C until now.
      > >
      > > 73
      > >
      > > jim ab3cv

      > > Ham radio
      > >

      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > * Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.

      > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      > >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Cecil Bayona
      KD5NWA
      www.qrpradio.com

      "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
    • FRANCIS CARCIA
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006

        I don't think I violated any laws passing this cool site along. frank
      • gandalfg8@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
          In a message dated 02/06/2006 16:38:28 GMT Daylight Time, carcia@... writes:
          I don't think I violated any laws passing this cool site along.
          HUH

          Where's the index??

          Nice one, thanks :-)
        • gw0etf
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

            > Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
            > for personal use;
            >
            > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >
            >
            > I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
            > to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
            > C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
            > all are free.
            >
            > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >
            >
            > Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
            > above mentioned compilers.

            Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
            microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
            coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
            Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
            Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
            73,
            GW0ETF
          • Leon Heller
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
              >> Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
              >> for personal use;
              >>
              >> < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >
              >>
              >> I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
              >> to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
              >> C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
              >> all are free.
              >>
              >> < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >
              >>
              >> Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
              >> above mentioned compilers.
              >>

              > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
              > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
              > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
              > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
              > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)

              I don't have any problems. I downloaded Visual C++ for a friend the other
              day (he doesn't have broadband) and put it on CD-ROMs for him.

              73, Leon
              --
              Leon Heller, G1HSM
              leon.heller@...

              Leon
            • Milt Cram
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                gw0etf wrote:

                > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                > 73,
                > GW0ETF

                Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?

                I have had similar problems using Firefox. I understand that there is a
                patch for Firefox to correct the "Microsoft compatiblity problem.

                73,
                Milt
                W8NUE
              • KD5NWA
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                  I just tried it and it works fine, nice and fast.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Milt Cram <w8nue@...> wrote:

                    > gw0etf wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                    > > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                    > > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                    > > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                    > > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                    > > 73,
                    > > GW0ETF
                    > >

                    > Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?
                    >
                    > I have had similar problems using Firefox. I understand that there
                    is a
                    > patch for Firefox to correct the "Microsoft compatiblity problem.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Milt
                    > W8NUE

                    Yes I am using Firefox but have also tried IE with similar
                    results...maybe Btinternet (my broadband supplier) has fallen out with
                    Microsoft.....? Will try from work tomorrow....
                    Thanks and 73,
                    Stew GW0ETF
                  • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                      I was able to down load two ISO images from the URL today, but it took most of the morning even with my DSL connection.  Must be a heck of a load at the Microsoft end...
                      73 de Lee
                      KM4YY

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/