Re: [softrock40] Somewhat OT: C vs C++ Question

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
      for personal use;

      < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >

      I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
      to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
      C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
      all are free.

      < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >

      Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
      above mentioned compilers.

      At 09:49 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
      > C++ is an extension of C. It does a lot more checking to make
      > sure you match
      >types correctly. If you are going to be wiriting for Microsoft
      >Windows, Microsoft is
      >offering Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. It includes
      >Visual C++, Visual
      >C#, Visual Basic, Visual J, and Web Designer. They also have videos
      >and tutorials
      >on line(although less for C++ than the other languages). I recently bought
      >"Beginning Visual C++ 2005" by Ivor Horton's . It seems to be quite
      >good for me. I
      >have done some C before on micro's but no windows programming.
      > A couple of years ago I found a free couse on-line called "Learn
      > C in 21 days". It
      >was very good. That's how I learned C for the micros. Also, I use SDCC for
      >programming PIC's and 8051 types in C.
      > I haven't played with C# yet, so don't know how it compares to C++ or C.
      >
      >Dave - WB6DHW
      >On 1 Jun 2006 at 20:35, Jim Miller wrote:
      >

      > > I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going
      > to try to become competent in C
      > > or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I
      > most often see C++ mentioned
      > > anymore.
      > >
      > > Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?
      > >
      > > My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.
      > >
      > > I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had
      > the need or desire to
      > > learn C until now.
      > >
      > > 73
      > >
      > > jim ab3cv

      > > Ham radio
      > >

      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > * Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.

      > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      > >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Cecil Bayona
      KD5NWA
      www.qrpradio.com

      "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
        C# is a friendlier cross between C++ and C it's more capable that C
        but not as undisciplined as C++.

        At 09:49 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
        > C++ is an extension of C. It does a lot more checking to make
        > sure you match
        >types correctly. If you are going to be wiriting for Microsoft
        >Windows, Microsoft is
        >offering Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. It includes
        >Visual C++, Visual
        >C#, Visual Basic, Visual J, and Web Designer. They also have videos
        >and tutorials
        >on line(although less for C++ than the other languages). I recently bought
        >"Beginning Visual C++ 2005" by Ivor Horton's . It seems to be quite
        >good for me. I
        >have done some C before on micro's but no windows programming.
        > A couple of years ago I found a free couse on-line called "Learn
        > C in 21 days". It
        >was very good. That's how I learned C for the micros. Also, I use SDCC for
        >programming PIC's and 8051 types in C.
        > I haven't played with C# yet, so don't know how it compares to C++ or C.
        >
        >Dave - WB6DHW
        >On 1 Jun 2006 at 20:35, Jim Miller wrote:
        >

        > > I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going
        > to try to become competent in C
        > > or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I
        > most often see C++ mentioned
        > > anymore.
        > >
        > > Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?
        > >
        > > My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.
        > >
        > > I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had
        > the need or desire to
        > > learn C until now.
        > >
        > > 73
        > >
        > > jim ab3cv

        > > Ham radio
        > >

        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >
        > > * Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.

        > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        > >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
      • FRANCIS CARCIA
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006

          I don't think I violated any laws passing this cool site along. frank
        • gandalfg8@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
            In a message dated 02/06/2006 16:38:28 GMT Daylight Time, carcia@... writes:
            I don't think I violated any laws passing this cool site along.
            HUH

            Where's the index??

            Nice one, thanks :-)
          • gw0etf
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

              > Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
              > for personal use;
              >
              > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >
              >
              > I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
              > to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
              > C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
              > all are free.
              >
              > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >
              >
              > Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
              > above mentioned compilers.

              Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
              microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
              coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
              Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
              Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
              73,
              GW0ETF
            • Leon Heller
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                >> Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
                >> for personal use;
                >>
                >> < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >
                >>
                >> I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
                >> to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
                >> C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
                >> all are free.
                >>
                >> < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >
                >>
                >> Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
                >> above mentioned compilers.
                >>

                > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)

                I don't have any problems. I downloaded Visual C++ for a friend the other
                day (he doesn't have broadband) and put it on CD-ROMs for him.

                73, Leon
                --
                Leon Heller, G1HSM
                leon.heller@...

                Leon
              • Milt Cram
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                  gw0etf wrote:

                  > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                  > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                  > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                  > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                  > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                  > 73,
                  > GW0ETF

                  Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?

                  I have had similar problems using Firefox. I understand that there is a
                  patch for Firefox to correct the "Microsoft compatiblity problem.

                  73,
                  Milt
                  W8NUE
                • KD5NWA
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                    I just tried it and it works fine, nice and fast.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Milt Cram <w8nue@...> wrote:

                      > gw0etf wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                      > > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                      > > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                      > > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                      > > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                      > > 73,
                      > > GW0ETF
                      > >

                      > Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?
                      >
                      > I have had similar problems using Firefox. I understand that there
                      is a
                      > patch for Firefox to correct the "Microsoft compatiblity problem.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Milt
                      > W8NUE

                      Yes I am using Firefox but have also tried IE with similar
                      results...maybe Btinternet (my broadband supplier) has fallen out with
                      Microsoft.....? Will try from work tomorrow....
                      Thanks and 73,
                      Stew GW0ETF
                    • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                        I was able to down load two ISO images from the URL today, but it took most of the morning even with my DSL connection.  Must be a heck of a load at the Microsoft end...
                        73 de Lee
                        KM4YY

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/