Somewhat OT: C vs C++ Question

  • Jim Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going to try to become competent in C or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I most often see C++ mentioned anymore.

      Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?

      My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.

      I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had the need or desire to learn C until now.

      73

      jim ab3cv
    • brainerd@wildblue.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
        C++ is an extension of C. It does a lot more checking to make sure you match
        types correctly. If you are going to be wiriting for Microsoft Windows, Microsoft is
        offering Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. It includes Visual C++, Visual
        C#, Visual Basic, Visual J, and Web Designer. They also have videos and tutorials
        on line(although less for C++ than the other languages). I recently bought
        "Beginning Visual C++ 2005" by Ivor Horton's . It seems to be quite good for me. I
        have done some C before on micro's but no windows programming.
        A couple of years ago I found a free couse on-line called "Learn C in 21 days". It
        was very good. That's how I learned C for the micros. Also, I use SDCC for
        programming PIC's and 8051 types in C.
        I haven't played with C# yet, so don't know how it compares to C++ or C.

        Dave - WB6DHW
        On 1 Jun 2006 at 20:35, Jim Miller wrote:

        > I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going to try to become competent in C
        > or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I most often see C++ mentioned
        > anymore.
        >
        > Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?
        >
        > My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.
        >
        > I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had the need or desire to
        > learn C until now.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > jim ab3cv

        > Ham radio
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > * Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.

      • KD5NWA
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
          Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
          for personal use;

          < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >

          I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
          to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
          C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
          all are free.

          < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >

          Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
          above mentioned compilers.

          At 09:49 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
          > C++ is an extension of C. It does a lot more checking to make
          > sure you match
          >types correctly. If you are going to be wiriting for Microsoft
          >Windows, Microsoft is
          >offering Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. It includes
          >Visual C++, Visual
          >C#, Visual Basic, Visual J, and Web Designer. They also have videos
          >and tutorials
          >on line(although less for C++ than the other languages). I recently bought
          >"Beginning Visual C++ 2005" by Ivor Horton's . It seems to be quite
          >good for me. I
          >have done some C before on micro's but no windows programming.
          > A couple of years ago I found a free couse on-line called "Learn
          > C in 21 days". It
          >was very good. That's how I learned C for the micros. Also, I use SDCC for
          >programming PIC's and 8051 types in C.
          > I haven't played with C# yet, so don't know how it compares to C++ or C.
          >
          >Dave - WB6DHW
          >On 1 Jun 2006 at 20:35, Jim Miller wrote:
          >

          > > I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going
          > to try to become competent in C
          > > or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I
          > most often see C++ mentioned
          > > anymore.
          > >
          > > Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?
          > >
          > > My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.
          > >
          > > I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had
          > the need or desire to
          > > learn C until now.
          > >
          > > 73
          > >
          > > jim ab3cv

          > > Ham radio
          > >

          > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > >
          > > * Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.

          > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          > >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Cecil Bayona
          KD5NWA
          www.qrpradio.com

          "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
            C# is a friendlier cross between C++ and C it's more capable that C
            but not as undisciplined as C++.

            At 09:49 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
            > C++ is an extension of C. It does a lot more checking to make
            > sure you match
            >types correctly. If you are going to be wiriting for Microsoft
            >Windows, Microsoft is
            >offering Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. It includes
            >Visual C++, Visual
            >C#, Visual Basic, Visual J, and Web Designer. They also have videos
            >and tutorials
            >on line(although less for C++ than the other languages). I recently bought
            >"Beginning Visual C++ 2005" by Ivor Horton's . It seems to be quite
            >good for me. I
            >have done some C before on micro's but no windows programming.
            > A couple of years ago I found a free couse on-line called "Learn
            > C in 21 days". It
            >was very good. That's how I learned C for the micros. Also, I use SDCC for
            >programming PIC's and 8051 types in C.
            > I haven't played with C# yet, so don't know how it compares to C++ or C.
            >
            >Dave - WB6DHW
            >On 1 Jun 2006 at 20:35, Jim Miller wrote:
            >

            > > I want to dive into the SDR software side more heavily. I'm going
            > to try to become competent in C
            > > or some variant thereof. I see C#, C++ and plain old K&R C. I
            > most often see C++ mentioned
            > > anymore.
            > >
            > > Any recommendations on a book for learning C++?
            > >
            > > My currently plan is to download the MSFT Visual C package.
            > >
            > > I'm reasonably competent in ASM86, ASM51 and PICASM but never had
            > the need or desire to
            > > learn C until now.
            > >
            > > 73
            > >
            > > jim ab3cv

            > > Ham radio
            > >

            > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > >
            > > * Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.

            > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            > >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Cecil Bayona
            KD5NWA
            www.qrpradio.com

            "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
          • FRANCIS CARCIA
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006

              I don't think I violated any laws passing this cool site along. frank
            • gandalfg8@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
                In a message dated 02/06/2006 16:38:28 GMT Daylight Time, carcia@... writes:
                I don't think I violated any laws passing this cool site along.
                HUH

                Where's the index??

                Nice one, thanks :-)
              • gw0etf
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

                  > Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
                  > for personal use;
                  >
                  > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >
                  >
                  > I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
                  > to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
                  > C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
                  > all are free.
                  >
                  > < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >
                  >
                  > Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
                  > above mentioned compilers.

                  Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                  microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                  coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                  Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                  Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                  73,
                  GW0ETF
                • Leon Heller
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                    >> Link to where you can get the different software versions for free
                    >> for personal use;
                    >>
                    >> < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCsharp/default.aspx >
                    >>
                    >> I recommend you download the ISO image and burn a CD in case you want
                    >> to install it more than once. On the left side is a link to Visual
                    >> C++, Visual Basic .NET, Visual J#, SQL 2005, and Visual Web Designer
                    >> all are free.
                    >>
                    >> < http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/downloads/components/default.aspx >
                    >>
                    >> Additional free Visual components for creating software with the
                    >> above mentioned compilers.
                    >>

                    > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                    > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                    > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                    > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                    > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)

                    I don't have any problems. I downloaded Visual C++ for a friend the other
                    day (he doesn't have broadband) and put it on CD-ROMs for him.

                    73, Leon
                    --
                    Leon Heller, G1HSM
                    leon.heller@...

                    Leon
                  • Milt Cram
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                      gw0etf wrote:

                      > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                      > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                      > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                      > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                      > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                      > 73,
                      > GW0ETF

                      Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?

                      I have had similar problems using Firefox. I understand that there is a
                      patch for Firefox to correct the "Microsoft compatiblity problem.

                      73,
                      Milt
                      W8NUE
                    • KD5NWA
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                        I just tried it and it works fine, nice and fast.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Milt Cram <w8nue@...> wrote:

                          > gw0etf wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Anyone else having problems connecting to these sites, in fact *any*
                          > > microsoft site? If I click and then take the dog for a walk and have a
                          > > coffee I *may* eventually get a connection but usually it just fails.
                          > > Other sites seem ok and firewall etc seems fine.
                          > > Been trying for 2 days now....-:)
                          > > 73,
                          > > GW0ETF
                          > >

                          > Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer?
                          >
                          > I have had similar problems using Firefox. I understand that there
                          is a
                          > patch for Firefox to correct the "Microsoft compatiblity problem.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Milt
                          > W8NUE

                          Yes I am using Firefox but have also tried IE with similar
                          results...maybe Btinternet (my broadband supplier) has fallen out with
                          Microsoft.....? Will try from work tomorrow....
                          Thanks and 73,
                          Stew GW0ETF
                        • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
                            I was able to down load two ISO images from the URL today, but it took most of the morning even with my DSL connection.  Must be a heck of a load at the Microsoft end...
                            73 de Lee
                            KM4YY

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/