Re: SR6 signal levels

  • Alberto I2PHD
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
      > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
      > ------------ ------------------- -------
      > -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
      > -32.2 -2 S8
      > -40 -5 S7
      > -50 -15 S6
      > -60 -25 S5
      ---- snip ----

      Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the sound card.

      73 Alberto I2PHD
    • Bill Tracey
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
        Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6
        hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input
        signal on 7 MHz. Suspect the sound card saturates long before that.

        Cheers,

        Bill (kd5tfd)

        At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
        > > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
        > > ------------ ------------------- -------
        > > -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
        > > -32.2 -2 S8
        > > -40 -5 S7
        > > -50 -15 S6
        > > -60 -25 S5
        >---- snip ----
        >
        >Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the
        >sound card.
        >
        >73 Alberto I2PHD
      • FRANCIS CARCIA
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
          That is what I found. The OP amp gain jacks the signal to sound card saturation.

          Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote:
          Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6
          hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input
          signal  on 7 MHz.  Suspect the sound card saturates long before that.

          Cheers,

          Bill (kd5tfd)

          At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
          > > Signal (dBm)   Winrad display (dB)   Comment
          > > ------------   -------------------   -------
          > > -32             0                    multiple harmonics visible
          > > -32.2          -2                    S8
          > > -40            -5                    S7
          > > -50            -15                   S6
          > > -60            -25                   S5
          >---- snip ----
          >
          >Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the
          >sound card.
          >
          >73  Alberto  I2PHD

          Ham radio

        • Sparkes, John
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
            Well, according to ONE, anyway...!

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
              Thanks, guys.

              Looks like the perfomance is OK and I haven't messed
              up in construction. I figured the harmonics were down
              to overdriving the soundcard input.

              Just need to see what it does with an antenna now :-)

              Rob GM6OQN

              http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html