Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [softrock40] phase noise

Expand Messages
  • FRANCIS CARCIA
    I AGREE!!!!!!!!! ... that is being phase noise of course. Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the SDR type radios. These extremely simple
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      I AGREE!!!!!!!!!

      Ford Peterson <ford@...> wrote:
      Bill wrote:

      > Francis,
      >
      > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
      > single problem with these SDR type radios.
      >
      > Bill WB5TCO

      "that is" being phase noise of course.

      Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

      My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

      Ford-N0FP
      ford@...




      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
      Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology. It's free.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM
      --------------------------------------------------------------------~->


      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

      <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/





    • KD5NWA
      A receiver with a good Norton pre-amp that can be bypassed, followed by a DBDM mixer then a IF QSD detector, with of course a clean LO for the mixers would
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        A receiver with a good Norton pre-amp that can be bypassed, followed by a DBDM mixer then a IF QSD detector, with of course a clean LO for the mixers would make an excellent radio that is tough, agile, and multi-mode capable. All the while being a very simple radio.


        At 01:59 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
        I AGREE!!!!!!!!!

        Ford Peterson <ford@...> wrote:
        Bill wrote:

        > Francis,
        >
        > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
        > single problem with these SDR type radios.
        >
        > Bill WB5TCO

        "that is" being phase noise of course.

        Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

        My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

        Ford-N0FP
        ford@...




        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
        Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology. It's free.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM
        --------------------------------------------------------------------~->


        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

        <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/







        SPONSORED LINKS
        Ham radio


        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS




        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna

      • riese-k3djc@juno.com
        right wing conspiracy K3DJC ...
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          right wing conspiracy

          K3DJC
          On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:17:23 -0500 KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> writes:
          > According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.
          >
          > At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
          > >Francis,
          > >
          > >Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the
          > biggest
          > >single problem with these SDR type radios.
          > >
          > >Bill WB5TCO
          > >
          > >FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
          > >
          > > > I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have
          > used the
          > > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area.
          > gfz
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > SPONSORED LINKS
          > > > Ham radio
          > > >
          > >
          >
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig
          =t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>
          >
          > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          >
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > > >
          > > > * Visit your group "softrock40
          > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40>" on the web.
          > > >
          > > > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > > > softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > > >
          > <mailto:softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
          > > >
          > > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
          > of
          > > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          >
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >
          > Cecil Bayona
          > KD5NWA
          > www.qrpradio.com
          >
          > "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > --------------------~-->
          > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
          > See how.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM
          > --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

          >
          >
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • KD5NWA
          Sorry, I m pretty far to the right and I believe in phase noise, I believe in jitter. This one must be a far left wing conspiracy. ... Cecil Bayona KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Sorry, I'm pretty far to the right and I believe in phase noise, I
            believe in jitter. This one must be a far left wing conspiracy.

            At 02:28 PM 6/1/2006, you wrote:
            >right wing conspiracy
            >
            >K3DJC
            >On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:17:23 -0500 KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> writes:
            > > According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.
            > >
            > > At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
            > > >Francis,
            > > >
            > > >Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the
            > > biggest
            > > >single problem with these SDR type radios.
            > > >
            > > >Bill WB5TCO
            > > >
            > > >FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
            > > >
            > > > > I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have
            > > used the
            > > > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area.
            > > gfz
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > > SPONSORED LINKS
            > > > > Ham radio
            > > > >
            > > >
            > >
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig
            >=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>
            > >
            > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > >
            >------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            > > > >
            > > > > * Visit your group "softrock40
            > > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40>" on the web.
            > > > >
            > > > > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > > > > softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            > > > >
            > > <mailto:softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
            > > > >
            > > > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
            > > of
            > > > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > >
            >------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Cecil Bayona
            > > KD5NWA
            > > www.qrpradio.com
            > >
            > > "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >


            Cecil Bayona
            KD5NWA
            www.qrpradio.com

            "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
          • Phil Covington
            ... Duplicate the K2 front end and it s PLL without the DAC tuned reference oscillator (we can deal with the 5kHz steps in software) - run the 5 MHz IF into a
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:
              >
              > A receiver with a good Norton pre-amp that can be bypassed, followed
              > by a DBDM mixer then a IF QSD detector, with of course a clean LO for
              > the mixers would make an excellent radio that is tough, agile, and
              > multi-mode capable. All the while being a very simple radio.
              >

              Duplicate the K2 front end and it's PLL without the DAC tuned
              reference oscillator (we can deal with the 5kHz steps in software) -
              run the 5 MHz IF into a QSD (20 MHz low phase noise xtal osc divided
              by 4 to get quadrature) - I think this would be an excellent marriage
              of K2 and SDR. No DDS. I have wanted to try this since 2003, but
              keep getting sidetracked.

              73 de Phil N8VB
            • Rob Campbell
              I managed to get a couple of hours after work today so here are the results of my testing so far: Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment ... -32
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                I managed to get a couple of hours after work today so here are the
                results of my testing so far:

                Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                ------------ ------------------- -------
                -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
                -32.2 -2 S8
                -40 -5 S7
                -50 -15 S6
                -60 -25 S5
                -70 -35 S4
                -80 -45 S3
                -90 -55 S2
                -100 -65 S1/S2
                -110 -75 S1
                -120 -85 <S1
                -130 -95 see note 1 below
                -134 -** see note 2
                -135 -** see note 3

                Notes
                -----
                1. It was difficult to see any signal over the noise on the Spectrum
                display but the trace on the Waterfall was still distinct.
                2. No visible signal on the Spectrum, Waterfall becoming indistinct.
                3. Last traces of a signal still visible on the Waterfall.
                4. All measurements taken with an unmodulated carrier at 7.046MHz.
                5. Soundcard was a Crystal Fusion AC97 on the motherboard.
                6. Noise with no signal applied sits about the -100dB mark.
                7. Below -130dBm in it was hard to make out any audible tone but the
                waterfall display was still usable (probably only for slow morse).

                No measurements taken with Rocky yet but subjectively it looks
                pretty good. After doing a sweep with the signal generator (50 1kHz
                steps pausing for 1s at each step) to set the balance, image
                rejection is about 80dB.

                Hope this is useful.

                Rob, GM6OQN

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Campbell" <gm6oqn@...> wrote:
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rob,
                > >
                > > It would be interesting if you could use your signal generator
                to
                > make a
                > > standardized measurement of MDS looking for 3 dB (S+N)/N, then
                > noting
                > > the level you have going in from the generator. This will give
                > the
                > > noise floor of the SoftRock.
                > >
                > > Bill, WB5TCO
                > >
              • Jim Miller
                i think the conspiracists are on shakey ground. couldn t resist... back to my cypress fx2lp datasheet... 73 jim ab3cv ... From: To:
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  i think the conspiracists are on "shakey" ground.

                  couldn't resist...

                  back to my cypress fx2lp datasheet...

                  73

                  jim ab3cv
                  ----- Original Message -----
                  From: <riese-k3djc@...>
                  To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
                  Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:28 PM
                  Subject: Re: [softrock40] phase noise


                  right wing conspiracy

                  K3DJC
                  On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:17:23 -0500 KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> writes:
                  > According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.
                  >
                  > At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
                  > >Francis,
                  > >
                  > >Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the
                  > biggest
                  > >single problem with these SDR type radios.
                  > >
                  > >Bill WB5TCO
                  > >
                  > >FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I just found a good article on measuring phase noise. I have
                  > used the
                  > > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded into the file area.
                  > gfz
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > SPONSORED LINKS
                  > > > Ham radio
                  > > >
                  > >
                  >
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig
                  =t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>
                  >
                  > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  >
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  > > >
                  > > > * Visit your group "softrock40
                  > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40>" on the web.
                  > > >
                  > > > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  > > > softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > > >
                  > <mailto:softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                  > > >
                  > > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                  > of
                  > > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  >
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  > Cecil Bayona
                  > KD5NWA
                  > www.qrpradio.com
                  >
                  > "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > --------------------~-->
                  > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
                  > See how.
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM
                  > --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >




                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • FRANCIS CARCIA
                  I got similar numbers with my homebrew running about 500 hz. bw. Rob Campbell wrote: I managed to get a couple of hours after work today so
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I got similar numbers with my homebrew running about 500 hz. bw.

                    Rob Campbell <gm6oqn@...> wrote:
                    I managed to get a couple of hours after work today so here are the
                    results of my testing so far:

                    Signal (dBm)   Winrad display (dB)   Comment
                    ------------   -------------------   -------
                    -32             0                    multiple harmonics visible
                    -32.2          -2                    S8
                    -40            -5                    S7
                    -50            -15                   S6
                    -60            -25                   S5
                    -70            -35                   S4
                    -80            -45                   S3
                    -90            -55                   S2
                    -100           -65                   S1/S2
                    -110           -75                   S1
                    -120           -85                   <S1
                    -130           -95                   see note 1 below
                    -134           -**                   see note 2
                    -135           -**                   see note 3

                    Notes
                    -----
                    1. It was difficult to see any signal over the noise on the Spectrum
                    display but the trace on the Waterfall was still distinct.
                    2. No visible signal on the Spectrum, Waterfall becoming indistinct.
                    3. Last traces of a signal still visible on the Waterfall.
                    4. All measurements taken with an unmodulated carrier at 7.046MHz.
                    5. Soundcard was a Crystal Fusion AC97 on the motherboard.
                    6. Noise with no signal applied sits about the -100dB mark.
                    7. Below -130dBm in it was hard to make out any audible tone but the
                    waterfall display was still usable (probably only for slow morse).

                    No measurements taken with Rocky yet but subjectively it looks
                    pretty good. After doing a sweep with the signal generator (50 1kHz
                    steps pausing for 1s at each step) to set the balance, image
                    rejection is about 80dB.

                    Hope this is useful.

                    Rob, GM6OQN

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Campbell" <gm6oqn@...> wrote:
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Rob,
                    > >
                    > > It would be interesting if you could use your signal generator
                    to
                    > make a
                    > > standardized measurement of MDS looking for 3 dB (S+N)/N, then
                    > noting
                    > > the level you have going in from the generator.  This will give
                    > the
                    > > noise floor of the SoftRock.
                    > >
                    > > Bill, WB5TCO
                    > >






                  • FRANCIS CARCIA
                    Nigel, I sent the daVinci code to the wrong place please send me a pm and I will try again. I deleted you mail so lost the address. frank Ford Peterson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Nigel,
                      I sent the daVinci code to the wrong place please send me a pm and I will try again.
                      I deleted you mail so lost the address. frank

                      Ford Peterson <ford@...> wrote:
                      Bill wrote:

                      > Francis,
                      >
                      > Thank you for posting that. Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                      > single problem with these SDR type radios.
                      >
                      > Bill WB5TCO

                      "that is" being phase noise of course.

                      Actually, your comment is true, but not because of the "SDR type radios." These extremely simple receiver mixers are simply responding to the simply aweful Local Oscillators (by modern standards)that many of us are using to run the SR series mixers. Garbage-in / garbage-out as they say.

                      My personal view is that there is likely no substitute for the multi-conversion receiver. We have become accustomed to enjoying the ability to QSY from the AM broadcast band up to 440MHz (and higher) with the touch of a button on most modern radios. I can see using an SDR type of mixer to acquire base-band data, and replace a large segment of a traditional radio using the sound card. But performance will be lack-luster at best when you QSY to any upper band without first performing a block-conversion of that band using traditional mixers and LOs. There is likely no substitute for traditional block conversion down to a reasonable frequency for the SDR to deal with. If you want real performance, then the focus of attention should be on the LO. Clean, frequency agile, spurious free, low-phase noise LOs is the name of the game. Use these nifty detectors as the final conversion from a relatively low frequency IF to your ears--and make that LO pristine clean of course.

                      Ford-N0FP
                      ford@...




                      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
                      Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology. It's free.
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/b9A1lB/TM
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------~->


                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

                      <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/





                    • Alberto I2PHD
                      ... Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the sound card. 73 Alberto I2PHD
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                      View Source
                      • 0 Attachment
                        > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                        > ------------ ------------------- -------
                        > -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
                        > -32.2 -2 S8
                        > -40 -5 S7
                        > -50 -15 S6
                        > -60 -25 S5
                        ---- snip ----

                        Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the sound card.

                        73 Alberto I2PHD
                      • Bill Tracey
                        Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6 hardware I ve measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input signal on 7 MHz.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                        View Source
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6
                          hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input
                          signal on 7 MHz. Suspect the sound card saturates long before that.

                          Cheers,

                          Bill (kd5tfd)

                          At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                          > > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                          > > ------------ ------------------- -------
                          > > -32 0 multiple harmonics visible
                          > > -32.2 -2 S8
                          > > -40 -5 S7
                          > > -50 -15 S6
                          > > -60 -25 S5
                          >---- snip ----
                          >
                          >Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the
                          >sound card.
                          >
                          >73 Alberto I2PHD
                        • FRANCIS CARCIA
                          That is what I found. The OP amp gain jacks the signal to sound card saturation. Bill Tracey wrote: Probably the sound card started
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                          View Source
                          • 0 Attachment
                            That is what I found. The OP amp gain jacks the signal to sound card saturation.

                            Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote:
                            Probably the sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the SR 6
                            hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal with a -18 dbm input
                            signal  on 7 MHz.  Suspect the sound card saturates long before that.

                            Cheers,

                            Bill (kd5tfd)

                            At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                            > > Signal (dBm)   Winrad display (dB)   Comment
                            > > ------------   -------------------   -------
                            > > -32             0                    multiple harmonics visible
                            > > -32.2          -2                    S8
                            > > -40            -5                    S7
                            > > -50            -15                   S6
                            > > -60            -25                   S5
                            >---- snip ----
                            >
                            >Something went in saturation above -40 dBm....probably the opamps or the
                            >sound card.
                            >
                            >73  Alberto  I2PHD




                            SPONSORED LINKS
                            Ham radio

                          • Sparkes, John
                            Well, according to ONE, anyway...!________________________________From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of KD5NWA
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 1, 2006
                            View Source
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Well, according to ONE, anyway...!


                              From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of KD5NWA
                              Sent: Friday, 2 June 2006 02:17
                              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                              Cc: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: Re: [softrock40] phase noise

                              According to some, phase noise and jitter is a vast conspiracy.

                              At 11:49 AM 6/1/2006, Bill Dumke wrote:
                              >Francis,
                              >
                              >Thank you for posting that. 
                              Personally, I believe that is the biggest
                              >single problem with these SDR
                              type radios.
                              >
                              >Bill  WB5TCO
                              >
                              >FRANCIS CARCIA
                              wrote:
                              >
                              > > I just found a good article on measuring phase
                              noise. I have used the
                              > > one with a mixer and HP8640B. It is uploaded
                              into the file area.  gfz
                              > >
                              > >
                              > > SPONSORED
                              LINKS
                              > > Ham radio
                              > >
                              > <
                              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ">http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>
                              >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              > >
                              > >    
                              *  Visit your group "softrock40
                              > >       <
                              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40>" on the web.
                              > >
                              > >     *  To
                              unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                              > >       
                              softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              > >      
                              <mailto:softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                              > >
                              > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
                              subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                              > >      
                              Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              > >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >Yahoo! Groups
                              Links
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >


                              Cecil Bayona
                              KD5NWA
                              www.qrpradio.com

                              "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna


                              This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.
                            • Robert Campbell
                              Thanks, guys. Looks like the perfomance is OK and I haven t messed up in construction. I figured the harmonics were down to overdriving the soundcard input.
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 2, 2006
                              View Source
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Thanks, guys.

                                Looks like the perfomance is OK and I haven't messed
                                up in construction. I figured the harmonics were down
                                to overdriving the soundcard input.

                                Just need to see what it does with an antenna now :-)

                                Rob GM6OQN

                                --- FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:

                                > That is what I found. The OP amp gain jacks the
                                > signal to sound card saturation.
                                >
                                > Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote: Probably the
                                > sound card started saturating above -40 dbm -- the
                                > SR 6
                                > hardware I've measured will produce a 4.5Vpp signal
                                > with a -18 dbm input
                                > signal on 7 MHz. Suspect the sound card saturates
                                > long before that.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Bill (kd5tfd)
                                >
                                > At 06:48 PM 6/1/2006, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                                > > > Signal (dBm) Winrad display (dB) Comment
                                > > > ------------ ------------------- -------
                                > > > -32 0 multiple
                                > harmonics visible
                                > > > -32.2 -2 S8
                                > > > -40 -5 S7
                                > > > -50 -15 S6
                                > > > -60 -25 S5
                                > >---- snip ----
                                > >
                                > >Something went in saturation above -40
                                > dBm....probably the opamps or the
                                > >sound card.
                                > >
                                > >73 Alberto I2PHD
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > SPONSORED LINKS
                                > Ham radio
                                >
                                > ---------------------------------
                                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                >
                                >
                                > Visit your group "softrock40" on the web.
                                >
                                > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                                > to:
                                > softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                >
                                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                                >
                                >
                                > ---------------------------------
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >






                                ___________________________________________________________
                                All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine
                                http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.