Signal Image 72khz apart

  • Jeremy - N4JIK
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 24, 2010

       Am getting the damnest problem and I don’t know what to do to solve it. But I have an RX Ensemble II running on the worst soundcard known to man a Realtek HD on the motherboard – unfortunately I only had one open slot on my motherboard and it has a network card in it. Anyone know of anything I can do to fix this problem?

      Also I have a REALLY wide tone at the LO freq of the Softrock- obscures most anything sent in there don’t know if anyone know of a way to limit that or drop it down a bit.

      Also anyone have any recommendations for a CHEAP USB soundcard that will be better suited than the one I am running now? I am a station on a small budget so whatever I can save always helps. Thanks a million!

      Jeremy

      N4JIK

    • Reid Bishop
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 24, 2010

        Jeremy,

        I don’t know why you say the Realtek HD is “the worst soundcard known to man.”  I have an onboard Realtek HD in my latest Dell purchase (Mid Tower, not Laptop), and it is a superb soundcard.  It comes very close to the performance of my M-Audio Delta 44- I’m quite pleased with it.  Another bonus is that since this is a 7+1 channel card, I can do RX, TX, and audio all on one soundcard.

        Are you sure you have good cables?  Are you using current Realtek drivers?  It sounds like your problems may be due more to issues with your Ensemble?

        -Reid-

        W0CNN

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 24, 2010
          Hi Jeremy,

          What SDR program are you running?

          Have you actually attempted to set up the image rejection, if so do you get any change at all, or does the image remain at the same amplitude as the real signal?

          That should give you a clue to where the problem lies. If it does not adjust, check you actually have both I and Q signals present 90 degrees apart coming out of your receiver. If both are correct and similar amplitude, then points to either the sound card cabling or the sound card / set up itself.

          Even with the poorest on board sound cards you can usually get 35 - 50dB image rejection after adjustment. The SoftRock hardware usually provides 20 - 30dB image rejection to start off with if it is working correctly.

          As for the centre frequency wide noise, usually down to hum loops etc. Look back over past messages for hints of how to reduce that.

          73, Bob G8VOI

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 25, 2010
            From: "Jeremy - N4JIK"

            Almost every soundcard will work.

            What you describe can be due to several things.
            Wrong mixer settings giving feedback from output to input.
            Bad ground loop problem.
            Pickup of other signals due to bad screening, grounding or routing.
            A fault in the Softrock.
            Maybe the software you are using is not working, or setup properly.

            One or a combination of above can be the reason. It needs a careful logical
            approach.

            <http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm> Section 5 gives notes and
            links regarding soundcards settings and ground loops.
            I know this page is overwhelming but there is a lot to know, getting a
            Softrock is just the beginning.

            One you have thought carefully about things give us a detailed report of
            what you find.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            > Am getting the damnest problem and I don't know what to do to solve it.
            > But
            > I have an RX Ensemble II running on the worst soundcard known to man a
            > Realtek HD on the motherboard - unfortunately I only had one open slot on
            > my
            > motherboard and it has a network card in it. Anyone know of anything I can
            > do to fix this problem?
            >

            > Also I have a REALLY wide tone at the LO freq of the Softrock- obscures
            > most
            > anything sent in there don't know if anyone know of a way to limit that or
            > drop it down a bit.
            >

            > Also anyone have any recommendations for a CHEAP USB soundcard that will
            > be
            > better suited than the one I am running now? I am a station on a small
            > budget so whatever I can save always helps. Thanks a million!
            >

            > Jeremy
            >
            > N4JIK

          • Jeremy - N4JIK
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 25, 2010

              Reid,

              Well it seems like I have a good cable – using the most up to date drivers from realtek (even used the ASIO drivers for a while) and very true it it’s a 7+1 so it makes things a little better, just wouldn’t mind having 192khz to play with sometimes.

              As for it being the SDR I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking. I know that Tony himself put this one together so I know the construction is purely sound I just don’t know what other options I should look at.

              Jeremy

              N4JIK

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 25, 2010
                I agree , I have an onboard Realtek that;s giving the EMU-202 a fierce run for it's money. Look for other sources of the problem.

                Mike-KK4MS
                a_borg@...

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                  I think I have a problem similar to Jeremy's. I cannot get anything recognizable into either my Dell 10 netbook or Acer laptop, both with Realtek HD sound.

                  But before I blame the software or soundcard, I'd like to see what is coming out of the II Rx. Trouble is, my bih 'scope has just died(!). I was able to see nice offset square waves at teh end of the quad clock stage, though. I wsds not able to do the QSD output test, unforrtunately. I do have a handheld 'scope (TPI440) which is good up to nearly 2mHz but single-channel. SO teh best I coudl do are the following measuremenst off U10, which differ from those staed:

                  Pin 1 ground as stated
                  Pin 2 2.5
                  Pin 3 2.5v
                  Pin 4 2.4v
                  Pin 5 2.4v
                  Pin 6 2.5v
                  Pin 7 2.5v
                  Pin 8 ground as stated
                  Pin 9 2.4v
                  Pin 10 2.5v
                  Pin 11 2.5v
                  Pin 12 2.4v
                  Pin 13 2.5v
                  Pin 14 2.4v
                  Pin 15

                  > From: "Jeremy - N4JIK"
                  > Subject: [softrock40] Signal Image 72khz apart
                  >
                  > Almost every soundcard will work.
                  >
                  > What you describe can be due to several things.
                  > Wrong mixer settings giving feedback from output to input.
                  > Bad ground loop problem.
                  > Pickup of other signals due to bad screening, grounding or routing.
                  > A fault in the Softrock.
                  > Maybe the software you are using is not working, or setup properly.
                  >
                  > One or a combination of above can be the reason. It needs a careful logical
                  > approach.
                  >
                  > <http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm> Section 5 gives notes and
                  > links regarding soundcards settings and ground loops.
                  > I know this page is overwhelming but there is a lot to know, getting a
                  > Softrock is just the beginning.
                  >
                  > One you have thought carefully about things give us a detailed report of
                  > what you find.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  >

                  > > Am getting the damnest problem and I don't know what to do to solve it.
                  > > But
                  > > I have an RX Ensemble II running on the worst soundcard known to man a
                  > > Realtek HD on the motherboard - unfortunately I only had one open slot on
                  > > my
                  > > motherboard and it has a network card in it. Anyone know of anything I can
                  > > do to fix this problem?
                  > >

                  > > Also I have a REALLY wide tone at the LO freq of the Softrock- obscures
                  > > most
                  > > anything sent in there don't know if anyone know of a way to limit that or
                  > > drop it down a bit.
                  > >

                  > > Also anyone have any recommendations for a CHEAP USB soundcard that will
                  > > be
                  > > better suited than the one I am running now? I am a station on a small
                  > > budget so whatever I can save always helps. Thanks a million!
                  > >

                  > > Jeremy
                  > >
                  > > N4JIK

                • barry_bogart
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                    Continuing ...
                    Pin 15 Ground as stated
                    Pin 16 5v as stated.

                    Pins 2 and 14 show those lovely pulses on the scope, at the dialed-in frequency.
                    Now my questions are, are these voltages sufficiently out that I show go backward to check, and,
                    if not how can I go forward from the QSD stage to check for output with the meager test equipment at my disposal? What sigs, where should I be looking for to verify I am sending the sigs into the soundcard?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                      From: "barry_bogart"
                      Subject: [softrock40] Re: Signal Image 72khz apart

                      >I think I have a problem similar to Jeremy's. I cannot get anything
                      >recognizable into either my Dell 10 netbook or Acer laptop, both with
                      >Realtek HD sound.
                      >
                      > But before I blame the software or soundcard, I'd like to see what is
                      > coming out of the II Rx.

                      I rarely bother with scopes.
                      Headphones on the Softrock output will confirm it is working. Tuning it with
                      an antenna connected should give radio-like sounds.
                      Touching the free contact on a cable plugged into the soundcard should show
                      up on the SDR program display.
                      Try playing something like an MP3 player through the soundcard, that might
                      show up bad mixer settings.
                      Just don't get too technical until it really is necessary!

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • barry_bogart
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 27, 2010

                        > From: "barry_bogart"
                        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Signal Image 72khz apart
                        >

                        > >I think I have a problem similar to Jeremy's. I cannot get anything
                        > >recognizable into either my Dell 10 netbook or Acer laptop, both with
                        > >Realtek HD sound.
                        > >
                        > > But before I blame the software or soundcard, I'd like to see what is
                        > > coming out of the II Rx.
                        >
                        > I rarely bother with scopes.
                        > Headphones on the Softrock output will confirm it is working. Tuning it with
                        > an antenna connected should give radio-like sounds.
                        > Touching the free contact on a cable plugged into the soundcard should show
                        > up on the SDR program display.
                        > Try playing something like an MP3 player through the soundcard, that might
                        > show up bad mixer settings.
                        > Just don't get too technical until it really is necessary!
                        >
                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                        I did hear some very garbled voice-like sounds and some slow CW on another occasion, but it was irrespective of the tuning (and not in an amateur band). No sign of WWV or a a local broadcast station on 1550kHz. Perhaps the software does not control the tuning. Rocky locks up on my XP machine when I hit 'start'; Winradhd also gives an error message (maybe on the Win7 machine). So I have been trying PowerSDR but it may not like the Realtek HD sound card. Am I better off trying to use the Dell netbook with XP or the Win 7 laptop. Both have RealtekHD.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 28, 2010
                          From: "barry_bogart"

                          > I did hear some very garbled voice-like sounds and some slow CW on another
                          > occasion, but it was irrespective of the tuning (and not in an amateur
                          > band). No sign of WWV or a a local broadcast station on 1550kHz.

                          Did it pass the LO test?
                          What does CFGSR do?
                          It should start either around 14.08 or 7.08MHz is it doing either?

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 28, 2010
                            From: "Alan" <alan4alan@...>
                            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Signal Image 72khz apart

                            > Headphones on the Softrock output will confirm it is working. Tuning it
                            > with an antenna connected should give radio-like sounds.
                            > Touching the free contact on a cable plugged into the soundcard should
                            > show up on the SDR program display.
                            > Try playing something like an MP3 player through the soundcard, that might
                            > show up bad mixer settings.

                            And what did these tests show?
                          • barry_bogart
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 31, 2010
                              No audio at all, so I checked the board again, and found I didn't install R23! Put it in and no I can get WWV just fine (Acer Aspire 5732Z with Realtek HD; Win7 (64b)). Now I just have to figure out PwrSDR!

                              Thanks and 73
                              Barry,VE7VIE

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 31, 2010
                                I can set the frequency with Cfgsr, and WinradHD and PwrSDR both decode beautifully, but neither will change the frequency. Yes, the display scrolls, but the frequency stays where I had set it with Cfgsr previously. So it must be some software setting? Somewhere it is not being told to tune the 570?

                                Thanks
                                Barry, VE7VIE

                                (Win 7/64bit, Acer 5732z,Realtek HD audio)

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 31, 2010
                                  Hi Barry,

                                  For USB control with Winrad you need to have Fred PE0FKO's supporting DLL file 'ExtIO_Si570.dll' present in the same folder as Winrad is installed in. On starting the program you need to use the 'Select Input' option 'SoftRock v9.0 Si570'.

                                  For PowerSDR, you only need to select the USB Si570 option, but you must ensure you have the USB lead connected before runnig the program.

                                  73, Bob G8VOI

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 31, 2010
                                    Bob, I will check that on the Win 7 machine tomorrow, but they should be there. I have a dll names 'ExtIO_Si570_V0.10.dll' in the Winrad folder - should that be renamed (or is it the wrong DLL?). Also, PwrSDR has TWO references - one 'fixed' - which do I use? I am using the IQ version for Win 7.

                                    Now I am on the XP netbook... Rocky goes 'not responding' when I try to start it, and then bluescreens with an 8e/c90 error. Winrad gives an 'EEFFACE' error on startup then bluescreens with the same error. Maybe I have some USB issue, but CFSGR does tune the rig!

                                    > Hi Barry,
                                    >
                                    > For USB control with Winrad you need to have Fred PE0FKO's supporting DLL file 'ExtIO_Si570.dll' present in the same folder as Winrad is installed in. On starting the program you need to use the 'Select Input' option 'SoftRock v9.0 Si570'.
                                    >
                                    > For PowerSDR, you only need to select the USB Si570 option, but you must ensure you have the USB lead connected before runnig the program.
                                    >
                                    > 73, Bob G8VOI

                                  • g8voip
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 31, 2010
                                      Hi Barry,

                                      I have no experience of Win 7, so cannot help with that apart from commenting that there are known problems with Rocky v3.6 not recognising internal sound cards. Apparently it is possible to get it to recognise a USB sound device.

                                      There is no problem with using the 'ExtIO_Si570_v0.10.dll file. That is the latest version and should appear as an option in the Winrad 'Select Input'. If more than one version of the dll is present in the Winrad folder, the menu shows them all so you can pick the appropriate one to use. With most of the latest Winrad variants you only need to select the option once and it will remember it. I have never seen or known Winrad to cause a blue screen. Sounds like you must have something pretty badly corrupted. Probably best to de-install the program. For completeness, when you first run the program again, before pressing 'Start' use the 'Options' and 'Reset Default Settings' to make sure you clear any possible configuration errors stored, then set the program up again.

                                      Much the same for PowerSDR, once the configuration file is corrupted or wrong options saved, de-installing the program does not remove database files holding the configuration information. You need to delete them manually otherwise it is not possible to clear the problem.

                                      For PSDR-IQ v1.12.20, on the 'Hardware Configuration' page, select the 'Radio Model' as 'SDR (Si570) and on the 'USB' page, check the 'USBtoI2C Adaptor' box in the 'AVR' section'.

                                      For PSDR-IQ v1.19.3.15, on the 'Hardware Config' page select the 'Radio Model' as 'SDR-Si570' and in the 'SDR-1000' cpnfig box, check the 'USBtoI2C' box.

                                      With both of the versions of PSDR, the USB must be connected before starting the program otherwise it automatically disables the option if it does not detect the hardware is present.

                                      73, Bob G8VOI

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "barry_bogart" <ve7vie@...> wrote:

                                      > Bob, I will check that on the Win 7 machine tomorrow, but they should be there. I have a dll names 'ExtIO_Si570_V0.10.dll' in the Winrad folder - should that be renamed (or is it the wrong DLL?). Also, PwrSDR has TWO references - one 'fixed' - which do I use? I am using the IQ version for Win 7.
                                      >
                                      > Now I am on the XP netbook... Rocky goes 'not responding' when I try to start it, and then bluescreens with an 8e/c90 error. Winrad gives an 'EEFFACE' error on startup then bluescreens with the same error. Maybe I have some USB issue, but CFSGR does tune the rig!
                                      >
                                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Barry,
                                      > >
                                      > > For USB control with Winrad you need to have Fred PE0FKO's supporting DLL file 'ExtIO_Si570.dll' present in the same folder as Winrad is installed in. On starting the program you need to use the 'Select Input' option 'SoftRock v9.0 Si570'.
                                      > >
                                      > > For PowerSDR, you only need to select the USB Si570 option, but you must ensure you have the USB lead connected before runnig the program.
                                      > >
                                      > > 73, Bob G8VOI

                                    • barry_bogart
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 1, 2010
                                        I verified that USB control was working by redoing the R12/13 logic switching under Cnfg conrol.

                                        Rocky immediately bluescreens when I click on 'start' 8e/90 error.

                                        WinradHD bluescreens after I click start; The panel from the DLL saying 'not connected - click start' does come up when I select the input 570. Same 8e/90 error. Before Winrad comes up I get: 'External Exception -EEFFACE error'.

                                        I tried all three USB ports (all passed the R12/13 test); I did get a crash in MFC42.dll on one of those ports.

                                        BUT PowerSDR works fine! AFAIK. But of course it doesn't fit on the netbook screen. That's great, but I'd like to get Winrad working.

                                        Thanks and 73
                                        Barry, VE7VIE

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 1, 2010
                                          From: "barry_bogart"
                                          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Winrad, Rocky crash on XP netbook (Ensemble Rx2)

                                          > Rocky immediately bluescreens when I click on 'start' 8e/90 error.
                                          >
                                          > WinradHD bluescreens after I click start; The panel from the DLL saying
                                          > 'not connected - click start' does come up when I select the input 570.
                                          > Same 8e/90 error. Before Winrad comes up I get: 'External
                                          > Exception -EEFFACE error'.

                                          You seem to have a problem that may be due to a driver. This is often the
                                          reason for a blue screen.
                                          Make a note of the group of numbers on the blue screen and use a search
                                          engine. It may help you to find out the problem.
                                          Perhaps it's the soundcard driver, try a USB.

                                          I seem to recall a version of PSDR for netbooks do a search for that as
                                          well.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 1, 2010
                                            From: "barry_bogart"

                                            > BUT PowerSDR works fine! AFAIK. But of course it doesn't fit on the
                                            > netbook screen. That's great, but I'd like to get Winrad working.

                                            Looks like it's being developed
                                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GenesisRadio/message/5032>

                                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                          • barry_bogart
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010
                                              I tried that version and it didn't work on my netbook. Various other versions of Psdr fail too... So I am trying 'PowerSDR v1.9.0 sr40' now....

                                              > From: "barry_bogart"
                                              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Winrad, Rocky crash on XP netbook (Ensemble Rx2)
                                              >

                                              > > BUT PowerSDR works fine! AFAIK. But of course it doesn't fit on the
                                              > > netbook screen. That's great, but I'd like to get Winrad working.
                                              > >

                                              > Looks like it's being developed
                                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GenesisRadio/message/5032>
                                              >
                                              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                            • barry_bogart